Mane And Tail Growth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
I was just wondering what do you use to aid the growth of Mane particularly on your horses? My Gelding has a long mane up untill half way where it then shortens. I have heard a few differant recipies .. What works for you? I also want to use it on the yearling
default_smile.png
So that would be for Tails to as yearlings generally have short little tails
default_smile.png

Thanks!

-Devon

Last edited by a moderator:
lol no idea for manes, never had to grow one, mine all have manes that reach past shoulders...but for tails I usually condition the heck out of it (cowboy magic
default_wink.png
: ) and rub that in really good and then...put a sock on it, or a tail bag but a sock helps keep the conditioner on the tail better that this helps grow out the tails...From my experience at least

Have you tried MTG? It works really good and you only put it on once a week. Just don't put them out in the sun afterwards as it can have a backwards effect and make them loose hair! I also use Biotin which was recommended by our vet for hair growth..

I had MTG before. I stopped by I could start again .. How long do you wait before putting them in the sun?

MTG if you can handle the strong sulfur smell. I'd recommend you buy some rubber gloves to apply it with .... the smell is really difficult to get off your hands.

I would say evaluate their diets. Great manes and tails come from a great diet. Goodluck.

I have been using MTG for about 2 months, i have seen such good results with it!

I truly do not mind the smell, smells like bacon to me. Its adding volume and length to our horses tails. I apply it 1x-2x a week on our show horses tails, manes and forelocks. I have seen great results and am loving MTG!

Soooo who is that yearling in your avatar??? Please share
default_smile.png

l put MTG on a yearlings forlock after she rubbed some of it of on the fence...l heard good things about it but never used it before had her outside it was late June and what a horrid smell almost like campfire smoke stink when she came in the barn for the night. The next day she was blistered under what was left of the forelock and within the week almost all her forelock and the surrounding area was gone. So thats why for whoever remembers her from the shows she was bald between the ears.. :bgrin l use it with caution now on any others just in case they have a bad reaction..

I asked someone about this for the QH I ride and they told me a mix:

1 lb Peanutbutter

1 lb MissingLink

1 lb Mirra-Coat

1 lb honey

Feed 1/4 cup for every 1000 pounds your horse weighs.

That was what they said but it was for a QH so I dont know if that will help...

I have been using MTG for about 2 months, i have seen such good results with it!

I truly do not mind the smell, smells like bacon to me. Its adding volume and length to our horses tails. I apply it 1x-2x a week on our show horses tails, manes and forelocks. I have seen great results and am loving MTG!

Soooo who is that yearling in your avatar??? Please share
default_smile.png
Smells like bacon to me too! And the yearling is Littlefoots Moonbeam . Hes a black and white Blue eyed yearling stallion . Im starting to work with him and train him. He's owned by Sandy Caja , Ill most likely be showing him at a couple shows.
default_wub.png
: Hes a sweetie pie.

Is MTG more for fixing the skin problems and help regrowth or will it help mane that is already growing? My minis mane got chewed by another horse. It is about 2-3" long in that section, but very long and thick everywhere else. It is growing, I am just looking for growth acceleration in that section! Is that even possible?

Is MTG more for fixing the skin problems and help regrowth or will it help mane that is already growing? My minis mane got chewed by another horse. It is about 2-3" long in that section, but very long and thick everywhere else. It is growing, I am just looking for growth acceleration in that section! Is that even possible?
It has many uses but yes, it is used for growth acceleration.... matter of fact , the bottle claims you can add 3 inches in 1 month. MTG is an acronym for Mane Tail Groom.

So far as the smell ..... it reminds me of the smell when my house burnt down.

For tails the first thing we do is make sure they are good and clean. This includes the dock of the tail. Next we put a good conditioner on. I've actually had good luck with some of the African American stuff you can buy at Wal-mart. We then braid them, making sure it's not too tight at the dock of the tail. I've seen tails fall out for being braided too tight at the top. Fold them end of the tail through the braid and wrap it up with vet wrap. You could try the same thing with manes, doing them in several single braids.

Good nutrition is also a must, flax seed, BOSS, things like that will also help your coats.

Latest posts

Back