Maiden rubbing behind

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMMinis

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a maiden mare that is now at 313 days. She has been quiet with a small udder and hasn't dropped too much yet. Past couple nights she has been laying flat out on her side early in the evening, usually around 9:00pm. Lastnight though she was quiet til 9 and then she started to poo alot. 3 times in about 5 minutes. The she squat to pee and just kept squating for about 2 minutes after she was done. She kept her tail slightly raised and started swishing it and rubbing her butt like crazy for half an hour. The rest of the night she would stand sleeping, which is rare for her, and then would move around alot. She seemed very restless. Could an itch on her butt make her act like that or do you think its the fetus positioning itself? Her belly is starting to drop a little. Not quite "v" shape but definately carrying back and a little lower. Her behind is still solid and her vulva isn't relaxed. I'm thinking she still has atleast 2 weeks cause of the lack of muscle relaxation back there but could she have it unexpectedly with hard muscles?

Yes, she could go any time. Maiden mares don't always behave like they should! Their tummy muscles aren't stretched out from previous births so they don't always look dropped......shoot, sometimes they don't even look pregnant!
default_wacko.png
At any rate, butt itching can be caused by a lot of things: shedding hair, worms, it just feels good. But in a pregnant mare it frequently occurs because as that tissue starts to stretch, it itches! I'm thinking that is your situation. Her muscles might suddenly relax in a few hours, or they might not ever relax as much as a seasoned mare. Don't put too much stock in the normal signs with a maiden! I had one foal yesterday that I had been wondering if she was really even bred! She didn't show at all, no softening of the muscles, no elongating of the vulva. The only thing that gave me hope that she really was bred was the teeny, tiny bit of a bag she had. I thought I had months left on her, when suddenly out popped the babe.

With her pooping like she is, and peeing that way, I'd say she is close. It seems like the baby pushes out a lot of poop while it is making its way to the right position. Frequently my mares poop "cow patties" right before they foal, instead of road apples. That is a sure sign around here that something is going to happen soon.

Your mare's actions look pretty suspicious to me! I'd stay close! (of course, by saying that, I jinxed you and she won't go for a month!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Best wishes, Linda

I have a maiden who has had a small udder for over a month and is really itching her tail.

She is sleeping a lot the past two days and flat out.

Poops are still normal but not doing the pacing or squatting to pee a lot.

Your mare sounds closer to me.

My first possible date according to the foaling chart is March 26th.

I was really hoping she wouldn't have it lastnight cause it is till cold at night here in NY. I have been taking her temp in the AM and PM and she is staying pretty consistent but I have been told that isn't even reliable. I've read they can drop half a degree to a degree a few hours before foaling. All of my mares have foaled around 350 days so it'll be a treat if she goes sooner. The sire of this foal, LTDs Quick Cash has had almost all fillies and only 2 colts. He has had 2 fillies this year and I am really hoping for a girl. We have had nothing but colts so far, lol. I'll definately keep an eye on her though if she can soften up within a few hours. Thanks!

It's cold here as well. We have had a few "spring teasers" but today it's a cold rain and windy.

Wind chill will be below zero, for sure.

Wishing you and I good luck with our maidens, I am a nervous wreck
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back