Maiden Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSMFarm

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi I am sitting here watching my maiden mare on monitor. She has very little bag and has been fussy in stall since having her there...for the past 4 days. BUT, tonight she is pacing with tail up. Kicking at her belly? Is this when they sorta jerk their back feet up? Please don't think this stupid but...there are no wrinkles back "there"...no pucker? Know what I mean? I am assuming this means relaxed? I have had 2 mares to foal already this year one with little to no bag and one with a milk bag like a cow. But they are old pros and don't like to be checked. I am so nervous as this is my first maiden. Whatcha think we getting close?

Generally, tail "up &/or held out", tail swishing, kicking at belly with back feet, pacing.....all indicate the mare is having pressure within the canal area and discomfort in her stomach. So, this would put me on alert that she was either going into labor -- this could last a few minutes or a few hours or ??

Could also signal that the foal is changing positions. Sometimes they cause some obvious discomfort. Most often that is seen within the final 2 weeks.

Now, if she's up and down, emptying bowels....well, get ready to welcome the foal
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif
Thanks so much Bess. She is really irritated over something but not getting up and down much yet. Down for about 10 minutes now up again and really biting at sides...so... I continue to sit inside and watch. Don't feel need to go to the barn just yet. I will keep updating. And, probably have more questions UGH!!! Thanks so much Again!

Missy

As you know, some foal with what appears to be an incomplete milk fill-up. I'd be watching, in case.

Of course, if you just doze off..........
default_laugh.png
...........yep, she'll likely deliver.

I watch some of the mare stare cams when I'm up and can't sleep. A nice arab had her tail held way up and out......swishing, up, swish......not pacing or such but, occassionally kicking at her belly. Finally I went to bed. Next AM, she's still preggers!! Next day, same. Third day, I look and she has a foal laying with her. So, sometimes the foal is positioning even that close.

One of mine showed almost NO labor. All filled out, it was time, etc. but, the only thing I saw was that she had changed the usual spot she had been standing in the stall. Knew something was up....even tho she had devoured her dinner. Had cam showing on the TV, I'm sitting down to eat dinner, she looked at her side, shifted weight, looked at other side, took two steps into mid stall, layed down and pushed!
default_new_shocked.gif
I did a double take thinking she had just passed out -- nope, pushing! Ran to barn and foal was 1/2 out. No problems. She always had a "no big deal" foaling....at 295-298 days. That little sweetie is now playing with grandkids -- mine & hers.
default_wub.png

Hope she foals for you, I know it is less stressful for US if they just go ahead!
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How is she this am?

Maiden mares are the hardest to predict. I had one that I had under camera for weeks. She never had much of a bag, but what she had went up and down. She did plenty of kicking, butt pressing, up and down, biting at her sides, for all of those weeks.

Finially, one beautiful morning I felt her bag and it seemed to be smaller, so I decided to let her out to pasture for a couple of hours. Two hours later, I went out to check on her, and there she was, way out in the pasture away from the other mares. I knew something was up, so I got on my Gattor and started to drive out. I could see something white on the ground that seemed to be moving. When I got out there, a really delicate, pretty, cremello filly was trying to stand up. (she is my avatar). Go figure.

default_saludando.gif
Hey Ya'll! Still the same. It is not quite the time that she started her pacing and kicking last night so I will be watching to see how she acts tonight. I finally had to give up on her last night at 4 am and awoke to see .... Nothing! She is still just nibbling on her food. Still had morning grain left in bucket when I added afternoon grain. This is not like her at all (other than the last few days). Been biting at her sides and front legs today??? I don't know what she is doing. I tell ya these maiden mares can make ya crazy!! Still really no bag to speak of but sides are tight as a drum again today. Tight like that 3 days ago then not so much...I DON"T KNOW! Just trying to give you info and what I have been observing with her. Thanks everyone, makes me feel better knowing that folks have been and are going thru same thing as me. I am so concerned for her as I am foaling her out for her "new" owners. She was sold last month to a great family with a small child. He adores this mare and is so excited about the foal. They are going to show her again and I am very excited for her. Not that I wouldn't be doing the same if she had not been sold...I just really want her to have a text book foaling...if there is such a thing.

I am also watching a maiden. Mine is at 330 days today. has a decent bag but clear fluid.

Some days she looks dropped and others not. Last week she had a rough night and I just knew that she was going to foal. But she didnt . LOL I think the foal was just positioning.

So how many days is your mare. And can you post pics of her?

She is 326 days today. I am hoping to be taking pix of her foal in the morning ha ha ha...almost comical. But, I will get a pix of her in the morning.

Missy

Latest posts

Back