Maiden Mare, delivered at 304 days, no forwarning, no milk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
Colt born 25 April, mom and baby are doing fine now. :aktion033:

Had the vet out and had to tube him with Equine IgG.

She did not get milk in until next day when they gave her a shot. Because of these problems I was thinking of not breeding her back until next year.

My husband wants to breed her back this year.

My question is to those that have had this happen with their mare. Did they have a problem the next year or was ever thing all right the second time around.

Deb

I am not going to say that I am 100% sure it will happen again. However I have a mare that is quite similar to yours she drops her foals at 315 days with hardly any bag of milk and the babies have a very hard time nursing they are usually hand fed for the first 24 hours. We give the mare a shot of Oxytocin to drop the milk and all is well in 24 hours. The vet said that this is just my mares gestation and regume would kill the fetus. However this year she dropped a beutiful filly at 325 days! I was really happy we had to work a little bit but not as much this time. The vet was happy as well. But now I'm going to have a problem predicting when she'll foal :eek: Since she gives us no signes. Hope this will help any further questions let me know. ~Jessica

My question is to those that have had this happen with their mare. Did they have a problem the next year or was ever thing all right the second time around.
Unfortunately - the first rule of foaling is:

The most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability...
default_yes.gif
:

Did your mare have fescue the last three months?

The fungus that sometimes grows on fescue can cause

these issues.

Glad everybody is fine now.
default_smile.png
)

~Sandy

Congratulations on your new colt! So glad he was OK. If I was you, I would definately try breeding her again.

Unfortunately - the first rule of foaling is:

The most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability...
default_yes.gif
:

Totally agree! Every pregnancy with each mare can be different from year to year.

Also agree with making sure there was no fescue in your hay........

MA

In my own experience with my own mare: My situation was very similar to yours. We rebred the mare the same year and she had no further problems with her milk coming in.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I always feel better when I get other's input on things. You can only get so much from reading the books.

My vet said that we don't have a fescue problem in our area. We get all of our hay from the local area.

We were thinking this might be because of it being her first baby. (hopefully)

This mare was the very first foal born at our place and our first maiden mare so we were a little unsure what would happen.

We had another maiden this year and she desided to pop her baby out the same day. I had been in the stall right next to hers all day. That night when I went inside to get apples and carrots ready for the night feeding. When I came back there was a little filly standing up trying to nurse dragging her afterbirth around with her . She showed no warning either but was at 315 days and her milk came right in after delivering. The 2 mothers grew up together and it is great fun watching them with their babies playing with each other.

Deb

Back