Magic Shoes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_in_the_hat72

Reaction score
The post about Patches and her magic shoes makes me wonder if these would be of help to my mini. She had horribly curled up elfshoes in the front when we brought her home. After a couple trims she is at least getting around better but it doesn't seem to be improving. They both still want to curl over leaving her walking on the sides of her hooves. I have a feeling she needs a lot more hoof taken off but the guy I had available to trim her did the best he could. Enough to keep her comfortable at least. I am now on the hunt for a new farrier since I have moved her. They seem to be few and far between around here so not much to choose from. For those of you with experience with them how do you decide if they will help? These are the before and after shots I took. Not much has changed since then as he just tried to leave her with a flat surface to walk on.

Before

Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

After

Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Any ideas on what to do to for her? Would just a really agressive trim be the way to go or that and the shoes? I know it's hard to give advice for things like online but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brenda

Sure. Please read about Janell. This lady is a saint. Here's her link.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/littlmagicshoes/

Also, what happened to your horse is criminal and thanks to you, she's going to have a more productive life. The farrier was just probably taken off guard and pretty scared when he saw this. Not sure but you proababy might have a few more trims there to get her right. It would help to see if you could shave the hair off of the hoof and above it a little bit to view it better. Her little feet have been so very traumatized. I am just assuming that you've had your vet in on this. If not, can you ask him about getting her on something for pain? I'm pretty sure Janell will help you get her fixed right up. Good luck and best wishes.

How sad!! How can people neglect animals like that! I'm so glad you have her now. I actually just have been emailing Janell about my dwarf and if Magic Shoes would still work for him since he's 3. She thought it was probably too late and that his pastern/fetlock joints had already fused where they were at. How old is your sweet girl??

Janelle has done wonders with the dwarves, but they do have to be under a certain age before the bones set. Your mini (bless you for taking her in), the best you can do is probable keep her comfortable. The trimming can take quite a long time and a number of trims to get to a comfortable level.

We have one mare that has one bad hoof from being trimmed incorrectly in her youth. I had her four years before getting a farrier that could properly trim her - she's now comfortable and running around for the first time in her life, but we do have to keep her very regular on trims now.

Good luck with your mini.

Minnie is around 8 years old so I am guessing it's too late for the magic shoes. Yes it is horrible what had been done to her out of sheer ignorance. I was told by the guy I got her from, that her feet had always looked like that. He said he had her proffesionally trimmed once and it didn't make a difference. So she had looked like that for 5 yrs with only having the tips hacked off. She couldn't pick up her feet to walk, she just sort of shuffled a long. I'm just thankful now she doesn't appear to be in any pain and can even trot along now. I will just have to see if I can hunt down a farrier who can work with her and do what I can for her. I'm only glad that I could give her a better life than she had.

Thanks

Brenda

[SIZE=10pt] :saludando: Hi Brenda~[/SIZE]

I just received your e-mail and these pictures this afternoon, I just about deleted it though, as there was nothing in the subject line, I figured it was just some more of the MANY spam e-mails I receive! But something told me to open it anyway!
default_smile.png

I will e-mail you with my thoughts on your little Minnie. However, like some of the folks have said, it may be too late for the *Magic Shoes* to help her, but I want to get some more information from you before I rule it out completely. Bless little Minni's heart! The people who had her should not be allowed to have ANY animals, little lone a little horse! :no: JMO

By any chance do you live near a teaching animal hospital?.... like we have Texas A & M here.

It looks like your farrier did a lot to improve her situation.

One thing I will mention here, so that others can read it too, is that I would suggest that you start her on a very good joint supplement plus some extra MSM. I have all my dwarf minis and a little show mare that dislocated & fractured her stifle about 5 years ago on a human product called "Joint Care" that I buy at Sam's Warehouse and I have had AMAZING results with it for her and two other little dwarves!.. If ya don't have a Sam's card, WalMart & Walgreens sell a product called "Joint Movement" that has the same exact ingredients and amounts as the Joint Care, it's just a 16 day supply instead of a 33 day supply.

Here are those ingredients & amounts:

Glucosamine 2,000mg

Chondroitin 1,200mg

MSM 500mg

Collagen 50mg

Vitamin C 60mg

I give my horses an extra teaspoon of the horse product "Pure MSM" each day as well.

Latest posts

Back