Made in the USA and Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcody

Reaction score
Like some others on here, I have been trying to buy stuff that is made in the USA or Canada, and have been doing OK. I thought maybe we could share what we buy and were to make it easier for everyone else?

It took me a long time, but I found wrapping paper, gift bags and boxes made in the USA. They were in Walgreens , tucked in the back by the toys. I told the manager they should put the made in the USA stuff at the front of the store!

My daughter has very sensitive skin, we have found that Aveno products work great on her, they are made in Canada.

Now, if I could find crayons and markers that are not made in China I would be thrilled!

The last few years I've gone to a local craft fair. There has been a man and his wife that bring wood toys he makes. I bought a few toy wood cars, a penguin push along toy that he made with pieces of rubber as it's feet. It's so cute. Also, had him make my son a shelf with trains and the cars all made of walnut, except one which is made from a wood from Africa(he asks people to give him scraps that they are going to throw away). He also, made my son a rolling train a caboose and a Elephant piggy bank made with a clear plexi glass belly for my youngest son . He makes cutting boards, other toys, coasters, a carrying tray made with wine corks and many other things. I told him he needs to advertise Made in the USA.

Hopefully, in the near future my husband will making wood toys for the kids. It's something he has wanted to do for a long time.

A lot of the catologs we get have stuff "imported" and also "Made In The USA and/or Canada" I just went through that, bought a new pair of winter boots from "Gemplers". Found some "Made in Canada" worth the extra money, so far the warmest I've ever had.
default_yes.gif

What a good idea! I need to find some plain white, inexpensive tennis shoes. I usually just go to Walmart, but most of their shoes seem to be made in China. Any ideas?

Baffin boots, made in Canada--they're the ONLY boots for doing chores in this weather IMO--they're the only boots I don't get cold feet in. In fact, I just bought a pair to wear to work too--they're not pretty, but my feet are warm, and the price is right. I refuse to pay double the price for a pair of dress boots & then have cold feet...the only dress boots available for the same price are ankle boots & with those I'd have cold feet AND snow in my boots! :Cold-Scared

Some friends and I have been talking along the same lines. We are having a "Natural Christmas" artist craft fair this weekend. One girl is selling her homemade candles, another is selling soaps while her husband sells ceramics (he is a ceramics teacher), another is selling all organic salsas, jams, jellies and honey--she is an organic farmer and a dear friend. I will be there selling my jewelry. We had been talking and waning to buy American/Canadian and what if we could just buy LOCAL? We thought maybe others would feel that way too--so we put our heads together and this is where we are for now. We are putting together a website with pages for each of us and hopefully we will add more and more people every year. We want to have quilters and other crafters to add to our "home grown" group. My family is getting either baskets with natural soaps and candles or pretty ceramic dishes filled with jams, jellies, honey and other goodies.

So in answer to your question--are there any local bakeries or maybe venders at the farmers markets where you can get the jams and local honey to make gift baskets for loved ones? What about hand crafted jewelry? Soaps and candles are always lovely gifts. You can get gifts you are proud to give while supporting your local folks.
default_biggrin.png

-Amy

Baffin boots, made in Canada--they're the ONLY boots for doing chores in this weather IMO--they're the only boots I don't get cold feet in. In fact, I just bought a pair to wear to work too--they're not pretty, but my feet are warm, and the price is right. I refuse to pay double the price for a pair of dress boots & then have cold feet...the only dress boots available for the same price are ankle boots & with those I'd have cold feet AND snow in my boots! :Cold-Scared
Yep that's what I got good to -184° F
default_yes.gif

We are lucky in that we live close to a very large area of Amish. Libby and I went up there a while back and shopped. I bought a doll and a hand carved train for my little cousins.

Gonna google those boots! I have never been able to find boots that keep my feet warm, or gloves warm enough. I used to put baggies on my feet to try to keep them warm. Never worked.

Added:

I googled the boots, looked for usa retailer in Columbus, Ohio. Cracked me up, it listed DSW shoes on Fifth Ave, hey, wait, I work on Fifth ave. Mapped the 'store' and the location was literally right next to my building. Too bad that is their distribution center, no retail store. Guess I will be shopping online. Anybody know how the sizes work? Are they true or do they run large or small?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so happy to see this idea spreading! I have been trying to boycott mass produced chinese stuff for many years. It is HARD! But we can make a difference!!! When the big corporations see their imported stuff still on the shelves, maybe they will get the idea.

The exception I make for chinese stuff is things that were always made in China, such as silk flowers.

Thanks for listing the products here, such as the boots.

They can only kill us and our pets off if we let them.

"Burt's Bee" products are American Made. They make nice stocking stuffers...

Here is a link of Products, made in America

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/ratzenberge...oods/goods.html

Granted not all of them would be good for gifts. A lot of the smaller Mom and Pop places are not on this list. There is a couple of great Chocolate makers I know of. Also 2nd the Organic food store....most products are made in America.

3M (Scotch Tape)

Airstream

All American Hot Dog Carts

All-Clad Metalcrafters Inc.

Allen-Edmonds

Alliance Rubber Company

American Champion Aircraft

American IronHorse Motorcycle Company

American Paper Optics

American Printing House for the Blind Inc.

American Whistle Corporation

Anheuser-Busch Inc.

Annin & Co. Flags

A.R.T. Research Enterprises

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Astroland Amusement Park

Automatic Dishwasher

Bach Stradivarius Trumpets

Ball Corporation

Banana Split

Barre Granite

Becker Surfboard Co.

The Belden Brick Company

Benjamin Moore & Co.

Betts Springs

Binney & Smith Inc. (Silly Putty)

Bodine Corporation

Boudin Bakery

Brooks Brothers

Burroughs Adding Machine

Burt's Bees

California Zephyr Train

Campbell's Soup

Cannondale Bikes

Cape Cod Chips

Carousel Magic

Caterpillar

Celestial Seasonings

Charles Machine Works

ChemArt Company

Chris-Craft

Coca-Cola

Columbus Washboard Company

Commscope Cable Co.

Corvette

Craftsman Tools

Crane & Co.

Crayola

The Creegan Company Animatronics

CUTCO

DaimlerChrysler Corporation

Dairy Queen

Deering Banjos

Delta Faucets

Delta Scientific Co.

Derecktor Ferryboats

Diamond Match Company

Dr Pepper

Duncan Parking Meters

Duraflame

Eli Bridge Company

Emeco, The Aluminum Chair Company

E-ONE Firetrucks

Ettore Products

Everlast

Fender Musical Instruments

Firefly Hot Air Balloons

Fisher Space Pen Co.

Fleer Trading Cards

Fleetwood RVs

Ford Gumball Co.

Ford (Model T)

Franklin Art Glass

French Luggage

Frito-Lay

The Frye Company

Fuller Brush Company

G&T Conveyor

Garrett Metal Detectors

Gatorade

GE Transportation

General Mills (Wheaties)

Gibson Bagpipes Inc.

Gibson Guitars

Globe Firefighter Suits

Goodyear Tires

Hall Manufacturing

Hallmark Cards

Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Hartmann Luggage

Hawaiian Tropic

HC Duke & Son Inc.

Head-Penn

Herman Miller Inc.

Highlights Magazines

Holiday Tree & Trim Company

Homer Laughlin China Company

Honeywell Life Safety

Howard Johnson

In-Sink-Erator

Ivory Soap

Jack Daniel's

Jacuzzi

Jaws of Life

Jell-O

John Deere Combines

Johnson Woolen Mills

Jostens Inc.

Kellogg's

KitchenAid Mixers

Knotts Berry Farm

Kohler

Lockheed Constellation Planes

Longaberger Baskets

Louisville Slugger

Lowell Boats

Lyon & Healy Harps Inc.

Mack Trucks Inc.

Maker's Mark Distillery Inc.

Maple Landmark Woodcraft

Marble King

Martin Guitars

Martinelli's Sparkling Cider

Marx Toys

Medtronic

Merillat

Merle Norman Cosmetics

Milgard Windows

ML Leddy's Boot & Saddlery

Monopoly

Morton Salt

Mosser Glass Co.

Mrs. Grossman's Paper Company)

National Cash Register Co.

New England Confectionary Company

New Era Baseball Caps

Nocona Sporting Goods

Oscar Meyer Weiner

Pan American Clipper

Panavision

Panoz Convertibles

Pelican Products Inc.

Pendleton Woolen Mills

Pepsi-Cola

Phoenix Decorating Company

Powell Skateboards

Purity Dairies

Pyrex

QubicaAMF

Raytheon Microwave Ovens

Red Wing Shoes

Remo Drums

RGM Watch Company

Robinson Helicopter

Rodgers Instruments

Round House

R.S. Owens Company

Rubbermaid

Sage Fly Fishing Rod

The Samuel Adams Brewery

Sand Trix

Sargent and Greenleaf

Sawbones

Sebastiani Winery

Segway

Serta

Shawnee Mills

Shelton's Better Packages

Sikorsky

Silvercrest Western Home Corporation

Skee-Ball, Inc.

Slinky Toys

Smiths Medical Inc.

Spam

Starbucks

Starrett (Precision Calipers)

Steelcase

Steinway

Stetson

Stern Pinball

Steuben Crystal

Stickley Furniture

Stormy Kromer Caps

Sturm, Ruger Firearms

Sub-Zero

Sunkist / Limoneira

Swanson TV Dinners

Tabasco

Tillamook Cheese

Titleist

Tom's of Maine Inc

Tootsie Roll

Toro Company

Trek Bicycle Corporation

Tums and Co.

Twinkie

Tyco Safety Products/Ansul

Tylenol

United States Playing Card Company

U.S. Mint

US Pole

U.S. Steel

USA Today

Vermont Teddy Bear Co.

V.H. Blackinton & Co. Inc.

Vitalie

Walt Disney Pictures

WD-40

Weber Grills

Welch's Grape Juice

WET Design

Weyerhaeuser Company

Whitman's Chocolates

Wiffle Ball

Wigwam Mills

Wilson Football Factory

WL Gore & Associates

Wolf Coach Emergency Vehicles

Wonder Bread

Yankee Candle Factory

Zamboni

Zildjian (Cymbals)

Zippo

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

http://www.usstuff.com/

http://www.devvy.com/made_inthe_usa.html

http://www.madeinusa.com/

Plus all the wonderful things folks make on this list. Keep thinking about those Quilts!

I don't want to turn this thread into a negative, because I think this is a GREAT idea! I just want to warn you (I know first hand from my business), not everything that says it is made in Canada or the USA is actually made here. Marketing is wonderful, and all they have to do is put ONE thing on the product to claim it was made here.
default_no.gif

I'm not talking about the Amish stuff, or the mom and pop shops, not those things....mostly the larger companies. It's been happening in the leather business for YEARS (and I'm sure there are many other areas of retail that this is happening in), just no one knows, or cares what's going on.....drives me batty....
default_frusty.gif

~kathryn

We are lucky in that we live close to a very large area of Amish. Libby and I went up there a while back and shopped. I bought a doll and a hand carved train for my little cousins.Gonna google those boots! I have never been able to find boots that keep my feet warm, or gloves warm enough. I used to put baggies on my feet to try to keep them warm. Never worked.

Added:

I googled the boots, looked for usa retailer in Columbus, Ohio. Cracked me up, it listed DSW shoes on Fifth Ave, hey, wait, I work on Fifth ave. Mapped the 'store' and the location was literally right next to my building. Too bad that is their distribution center, no retail store. Guess I will be shopping online. Anybody know how the sizes work? Are they true or do they run large or small?
If your talking about the Baffin boots, I got mine at http://www.gemplers.com. they run good to size unless you wear extra socks then I would go 1/2 to 1 size bigger.

Remember when Wal Mart commercials advertised selling American made products?? Haven't seen those commercials in many years now. Guess the profit martin on things made in those foreigh sweat-shops is just too tempting for "big business" to pass up.

Very true... Made in America with Chinese, Mexican, Polish parts.

Places like Burt Bee's buys their stuff in the US...at least they used to. Haven't asked them lately.

That Chocolate place I posted awhile ago.. other than buying the Cocoa beans from south America raw... they roast, blend and make the chocolate here and any extras are bought from people in the US,, that make the wrappers, grow the nuts, milk etc... in the US.

Best way to make sure is ask. And if they will not answer or do not know the answer do not buy from them.

All my wood furniture is pine wood and handmade by Amish and I try as much as I can to buy American made.

Now some of the Certified non GMO non dairy snacks we get are from other countries because I do not trust the US not to pull something. So in this case I do buy from Germany and places like that. DS is very allegic to dairy and I am to GMO products and both of us hate to get sick.

When I am doing better,, will start to make our own snacks again..but until then....

Maybe...some of us should get together and make a web site. I have AOL so I can have free web pages.

And each of us that does research on American only prodocts...has that company put on the web site.

Good or bad idea?

Now that I think of it... wonder where Cafe Press gets their blank stock from? Going to have to ask.

Danner boots are made in the USA.

I found that Ariat boots are made in China and I wanted a new pair of those, but will have to stick with my old ones until I can find an alternative for showing. If they get too ratty I may break down, but I am very committed to buying domestically and trying to do my homework that they are using parts made here in the US.

My friend that makes the beautiful maps and charts, Northwest Limited also framed Beatles and Marvel/DC comics and Jimmy Stewart tributes, he is dedicated as dedicated can be. His profit margin is VERY slim because he purchases the higher-priced USA made pieces and he doesn't do enough volume to make the discounts, however he is completey MADE IN USA as are the pieces he assembles.

With the exception of the Beatles pieces, the stamps are from the UK and the memorabilia pins that go with them as well as the records, often made in the UK originally, but that to me is not a bad thing. I will buy things made in Europe just fine.

Moonstruck Chocolates in Portland, OR are fabulous and superior (they supplied the Academy Awards baskets with chocolates!)

We do have a lot of great products here in our country, but we have to sift through the cr*p to get to them, also if we dont' buy them, we won't have them much longer.

Even many candies are made in China. Talk about scary....after the pet food incident....also think about the fact that well to do pregnant Chinese women are buying food from the US because theirs is so polluted.

I had good luck with Fat Brain Toys, and buyhandmade.org also shopping with our local vendors and artisans.

It's not easy, and shoes are the hardest as well as kids toys. Stay out of Wal-Mart, they are the major contributor to the Made in China problem. I'm sorry but their quantity over quality just makes me sick as well as how they treat their employees. So far from Sam Walton's original goal, yet they use him as an icon even still. They are one step away from Chinese sweatshop, IMO.

Liz M.

default_aktion033.gif
Great thread guys, we can make a difference. I check everything I buy now. We are lucky to live in an area where there is a lot of mennonites and there is a mennonite bakery right on my road, they are only open Friday and Saturday but they make great pies at a reasonable cost and they sell homemade jams and preserves and maple syrup too. Our local grocery store also sells local produce grown in the area and marks it that way so you know exactly what farm it comes from. Most of my gifts this year except for the grandkids are going to be the soaps I made.

Yvonne

I had looked at crayola, the ones I was looking at said made in China. Here is a link from Fox4

made in usa

it has some useful links and some infromation.

Latest posts

Back