Made a hard decision to give the birds away

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
It's sad and unfortunate but I finally made the decision to give the boy's birds away. They know it and they are mad at me but it can't be helped. They don't take enough care of them anymore.

They have had two parakeets and the cockateil now for about 4 years. 4 years of complaining to "clean the cage" and "did you feed the birds?" and will be one less thing I have to gripe about. Ace is the cockateil and he's an idiot and screams all the time at me. The parakeets are quiet and don't sing anymore. They used to take them out every day and fuss and play with them, but now that they are older and are consumed by so many other things, mostly school work which has gotten a lot harder now, no one is paying attention to them like they used to and I feel sorry for them. They keep them in their bedrooms as there is no room out here in the living area, and the boys aren't ever in their bedrooms until they go to bed. They are so busy they don't have hardly any time to stop and eat anymore themselves so I think it's better to re-home them. I go in there every day and turn the radio on for them but then see they got their water dirty and feathers are all over the place again. Birds are dirty to keep and they are a constant chore and I don't need another responsibility on my plate. There is a Tennessee Bird Lover's Club someplace and I'm going to try to find that. I never gave away a pet before so this is hard and really sad. I know I'll be weeping when I find a new home for them and have to say goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the exact same thing a few years back. Had an African grey parrot since he was 16 weeks old but between work and everything else going on I tended to forget about him too. I gave him away, cage, toys and everything to a rescue and now he is free running around and just having a good time. The boys will forgive you and the birds will be happier.

It is a hard decision Marty, but honestly, you are doing the best thing you can do for the Birds.

The Rescue will find a wonderful home where they will be loved again, and can be part of a family, birds need that so much! They need to be part of the Family Flock!
smile.gif
If you don't have time for them, the best thing you can do is to find a good reputable Rescue, or find them a new loving home! Good for you Marty!!
yes.gif

Nancy
smile.gif

There is a wildlife preserve near Fort Knox KY -- that takes in pet birds -- they live in their cages in a huge house and get to fly in a aviary every day -- they get personal attention etc.. I donated my parrot, cockatiel and parrotlet to them when my husband was diagnosed with COPD. I am sure the birds are happier there as they get lots more attention -- fresh foods and care there than they did with me. I had too many animals to give them what they really wanted.

I do miss them.. and am glad they have a lovely home.

If you would like their contact information let me know--- I can find them again if you need it.

JJay

Kuddos Marty. The birds will have loving homes........and your boys will learn something about pet responsibility in the long run. You are such a good mom for both human and critter alike!
yes.gif

MA

The boys will get over it and the birds will be happier. Been there done that. My kids were over it in less than a few hours. Ultimately, it's the animals in such situations that matter most. They need to be treated well and deserve a "better" life than they sometimes end up with in our homes. If the boys truly love the birds, they will realize that you have made the right decision to let them go to new homes.

Of course, that said, I was the one who did all the crying when it was all said and done!

Latest posts

Back