Macular degeneration

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O dear. Went for an eye exam today. The good news was my prescription hasn't changed in two years. The bad news, I have macular degeneration beginning. He put me on the eye vitamin. He said smoking, genetics, and sun are the causes, as far as they know. Though I am not a smoker, I am in the sun alot; I will be more diligent about wearing my Raybans.

Oh my, I'm sorry that they gave such concerning news. I expect many of use could be given this same diagnosis since we horse people do tend to be outdoors a great deal and I know I for one rarely think to wear even a hat with a brim to shade my eyes never mind sunglasses to protect them. Its a good reminder to us all that sun exposure should be treated with respect.

I'm so sorry Marsha. I know hearing that had to be scary for you. Did they tell you wet or dry? Do you know, does anyone in your family have it? I learned just recently that it has been found to be hereditary.

I don't know much about it, just read a article in my new AARP magazine. Take those vitamins! my Mom doesn't have macular degeneration but a Dr. recommended to her years ago something called areds or? ...anyway she took took hers religiously but since she had to stop taking them she has noticed a big difference in her eye sight so it does work.

I hope you see a big difference and don't get any worse.

I have a grid I'm supposed to check visually once a week. If the lines get uneven or seem to disappear I'm supposed to call him right away. I was shocked and sort of scared at first. Maybe it won't get bad. I will take the vitamins like a good girl (I hate taking stuff) and try to protect my eyes more.

So sorry for that news. My dad had macular. Its a bummer. Very important to report any change whatsoever and quickly. There are things they can do to stop or slow a "bleed" and minimize the damage.

Keep those sun glasses on... take your vitamins... if you wear prescription glasses consider getting the ones that tint but do wear nice dark high quality sunglasses whenever you go outside.

My dad was a smoker.

best wishes... good you found out early, there are new treatments available now that were not available when my dad was being treated.

Yes, I did order darker prescription sunglasses this time. I also have some good Raybans to wear while bumming outside. All my glasses have UV protection. But, the glasses don't help if I don't wear them, so I'm trying to discipline myself to grab a pair whenever I walk out the door.

That is so hard for those of us who love the outdoors, with animals and gardens.

you'll get used to grabbing those sunglasses:). My trick is to keep them all over the place. I have really good ones and a bunch of cheapy ones I don't care about laying everywhere. I get those sunglasses with little readers in the bottom, I have those big old lady ones that fit over my prescription glasses. auto tinting glasses don't do squat in the car so I have those ones that fit over for the car but then last year I treated myself to a nice pair of prescription sunglasses. I buy sunglasses that are huge and wrap around and cover as much as possible. I am in and out all day and I have trained myself to grab the glasses. I will even go back to the house for them if I notice I forget. I know you can do it, this is all new and there will be adjustments. My dads progression was slow but I wish the meds he was getting at the end of treatment were available at the beginning of his treatment. I don't have macular but with my dad having macular and my mom having other issues with her eyes I figure I should be more careful. I am bummed my retirement medical plan doesn't include vision and I admit to not going to annual check ups. Thanks for posting and reminding me that I should be getting my eyes checked on a routine basis. best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
We do not have vision insurance, either, but the eye doctor said from now on my visits will be covered by our health insurance, since I have a "condition". Silver lining on that cloud!

I asked about the size of the lenses, whether larger gave more protection, and the eyeglass tech said it didn't matter. Darker was the key, not size. I've always thought I needed larger lenses to cover more of the eye, but evidently, it is the light striking right on the pupil that is the most to be concerned about.

I will ask the doctor about that for sure when I go to pick up my new sunglasses.

Sunglasses that do not have UV protection are very bad. They cause the pupil to open for more light, but don't protect from the rays. I always look to make sure the inexpensive ones have UV protection. Even my indoor glasses have UV.

yep, I choose very dark, uv protection always. I like the darkness so somebody cannot see your eyes when looking at you. I am one of those folks that when in bright sun my eyes tear badly. I once forgot my sunglasses when going somewhere and I ran into a drug store and bought a new pair because I couldn't stand it without glasses. I hope that extra sensitivity isn't a sign of anything. My daughter sneezes when in bright sunlight. I try to get the kids and my husband to wear sunglasses and hats more often. Its difficult. I guess with my family history I am more easily worried. I do know that cataracts are caused by sunlight too and the eye doctor told me in the car it is especially important to wear sunglasses.

Hi, Marsha. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My hubby was also diagnosed with the beginnings of macular degeneration about a year ago. My heart sunk when the doctor told us, but he also said they have a lot of new treatments for this as well as treatments that are on the cusp of being put in place. Hubby was also put on Lutine and has to periodically check that grid you mentioned, plus getting more regular eye exams. He has always worn UV protection glasses, from the time they were first available.

You're doing all the right things! With luck and science, it won't progress to be full blown. Sending positive thoughts and best wishes to you!

Macular degeration runs in my family; my mother, grandfather and great aunt all had it, so I certainly understand your concern.

As one who suffers from diabetic retinopathy, my pupils do not dilate or contract properly, so sunglasses are essential, along with wide hat brims/visors. I've found the amount of coverage to be critical. Bright light comes from the side, top and bottom of the sunglasses, so I would not listen to that technician.

I wear Solar Shield sunglassess
http://www.solarshield.com
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=solar+shield+sunglasses&sprefix=solar+shield%2Caps%2C988
These have rims that fit tight to my face and wide sides, blocking light from all angles. They can fit over regular glasses or be worn alone -- the biggest ones look a bit clunky, but the more streamlined type are kind of cool. They are fantastic -- advanced UV and polarized. Without them I am blinded by bright sun, but these do the trick. In addition to buying them online, you can also buy them at Kroger's and WalMart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that tip, Susanne. Definitely will be looking for those as summer comes.

Another miniature owner friend, who trains, has the wet kind. Her sister has the dry kind. Two in one family! We discussed it a little while out for a drive last week. My friend is legally blind. I asked her about the sunglasses, as she never wears them. She said she was supposed to, but they block so much light that she can't bear to wear them, since it restricts the vision even more. She said her macular has been stable for several years, with no change for the worse. I should have asked more about her sister, but we were navigating the trail and I got sidetracked.

btw, the trail was a little rough and it broke the welds of the wheels on my cart. Husband will have to reweld them. (Jerald runabout) Doesn't keep me from driving but there is a wiggle now. Also had to pick a few goathead stickers out. The wind was blowing about 20 mph, but it kept the horses cool. And what's a little blowing dirt when you're having fun?

My Mom has macular degeneration ( she's 85 and has had the condition for a number of years) She uses a product called Preserveavision and swears by it . Might be worth looking into.

Ann

Latest posts

Back