Luxurious manes and tails!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
I want a beautiful mane and tail for Diamond... Can I have some advice on how to get it? This is not for showing, just personal pride.

Are there any fans of long fetlocks?

I have this unicorn pegasus look stuck in my head and wonder if anyone has attained this look?

Generally, genetics plays the biggest part in the thickness of the hair.

You can do a forum search on other tips to get it to grow longer though...

I leave my boys mane and forelock platted at all times. I take it out groom through very carefully and re-plat. His tail I keep platted and in a tail bag.

I keep my horses tails braided all the time. About once I week I will un-braid it, spray it with miracle groom, brush it out and re-braid it.

I live in a very windy area, so any long hair twists up into wind knots. I also had to deal with over two foot long manes on a Haflinger and a Clydesdale I used to own. Sometimes to best thing is to keep the hair clean, use a detangler and brush it out. I've heard a some people use a silicon based spray, like Showsheen, to make the hairs slide against each other so the hair shaft doesn't break.

My experience with braids is that you have to keep them very clean and re-do them frequently. I've found braiding a dirty mane will actually encourage them to rub it more. If you're going to braid, you really need to start with a clean mane and keep it clean. When they rub a braided mane, instead of a few hairs coming out, they tend to rub the whole braid off leaving you with a chunk missing.

I don't know if it's beacuse it reminds her of a unicorn, but my mom loves the hair on her mini's fetlocks. When I give Smokey her summer clip, I have to leave the fetlocks and beard intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that genetics has the most to do with it, general upkeep though is very important to keep it from thinning out. First of all keeping the horse healthy to keep the hair healthy is very important, also when bathing make sure and condition the mane/tail to keep it from drying out and becoming brittle. Also I personally do not like a long tail so I do keep my tails trimmed as that keeps them from stepping on them and pulling hairs out. Keeping tails up too much can actually lead to hair thinning and breaking from braiding or wrapping, can make the tails longer but may lose thickness. There are Healthy Hair products as well that keep the hair a lot healthier and help with growth.

Pictured is MT, one of our very hairy fellows, he has an incredible mane and tail, not the best picture but should give you an idea of it. Its gorgeous but we really dont do anything to keep it thick except keeping the tail trimmed to keep him from stepping on it.

DSCF2433edit.JPG

On my Arabians I used to use mane and tail conditioner (the leave in kind) then braid the tails coil them up and wrap them with guardtex a breathable self sticking type of wrap. We didn't take them down that often and never had a problem with that. These horses were always stalled (a boarding stable situation) so I don't know about turning horses out with tails up. We grew some incredible length of tail that way.

I know one trainer who had a horse catch it's tail on something in a horse trailer and rip the who thing off (the length of hair in the wrap) looked like a foals tail for a while. There was also a rash of tail cuttings at one show by a disgruntled competitor leaving a whole stable of horses with "baby" tails.

i gave a mare a bob job on her mane a couple years ago-her foal caught her foot in the mane, the mare bolted and drug the foal. the foal has scar tissue but healed. could have lost her foot if not tended to.

I've seen the braid and wrap done on some show Morgans. They would braid the tail, coil/fold it and use vet wrap to keep it all together. The horses were mostly stalled with some turnout. They also put baling twine hanging from the wrap during the summer to help with the flies. I don't know how often they redid it though.

We don't do much to our guys manes and tails. We trim them straight across at fetlock height to make them thicker, you don't want them stepping on it and ripping out hair. We don't bag at all.

This is Lotto:

lottoarea5.jpg

He's got the most beautiful, full tail I've seen.

Now, my Sunny is an odd ball: by the time Nationals rolls around, he loses his forelock! I am so care over the summer trimming it so we don't lose any, but in Sept all he has is this poof left. By Dec, it's back to normal!

I have heard that frequent brushing can sometimes keep the mane and tail from growing thick. Better to run one's fingers through to remove debris and tangles than to brush frequently. I trim mine's tail to keep it off the ground and he has a beautiful tail. His mane is full, also, but he has a cowlick near the poll and it won't lay down nicely no matter what I do. I usually keep that unruly spot braided, then take it out when I want to present him and it will lay down nicely for a while. I could shave the mane back past that spot, but that is not the look I want for him.

I do unbraid and comb out periodically.

Some horses just have gorgeous manes/tails and nobody bothers with them at all.

My sister leaves her stallion's fetlocks long, as she likes that wild stallion look. His mane and tail are long and thick also.

I had an appaloosa for a while. I do think the conditioning products helped his mane become thicker.

I don't braid -- braiding tails gives extra length but often results in thin tails--saw that a lot in the Morgan show horses.

Comb out manes and tails--do not use a curry comb, just an actual comb (I like the Grooma with its loose, rotating teeth)

First, beautiful horses! Thank you for sharing. I need to get out with Diamond this weekend and finish up my clipping on her. I swear she is the fuzziest fuzzy I have had. I have to decide on the body clip I will try to manage her skin and keep her warm. Dont worry we hardly get cold here in Texas and she has a great waterproof blanket and a warm stall
default_smile.png

The only part of her I keep braided is a flip in her mane trying to train it. So far I love the way she looks, and I don't do much to her mane and tail, so seems best in my mind if its working, don't change it.

I LOVE my grooma comb!

And the fetlock, I too see unicorns! Exactly the look I want for her!

My aunt works for a shampoo factory. I get the leftover bottles they draw the lab test smaples from of this: http://www.amazon.com/Bain-Terre-Recovery-Anti-Frizz-4-2-Ounce/dp/B000EM9D0W quite regularly. It keeps the hair moisturized and smooth, so it doesn't snag on anything or break. I HIGHLY reommend it! Works super nice before a show too for a natural looking show ring sheen, for mane and tail, and I put a bit on a rag and wipe over his body too.

The BEST way to get manes and tails to grow is to braid it then mix you a bottle of GREEN scope (off brand works good to) (as long as it is green mouthwash) and baby oil mix itn 1/2 and 1/2 put it on 2-3 times a week make sure it is the green. the scope will keep the pores open and the baby oil will keep the skin from drying out. It works better then MTG has ever thought about. I just bought a mare quarter horse and I wanted to do halter class with her. but she had some bad scars I put that on her and within 2 weeks u could not tell she had a scar ALL the hair had come back and the last owner said she had had them scars for years. Hope this helps.

I'm with Disney. I think genetics has plenty to do with mane and tail growth and also good nutrition to a point. Some of mine have wonderful lush manes and tails and others are just plain thin. I have found that because the texture is so different, if I braid and bag tails, that will lead to breakage on some. I do trim off the bottoms so they are not stepping all over themselves also. I do condition, keep them clean and usually pick them with my fingers before I use a brush to save hairs. I use a lot of show sheen too.

As for fetlock hairs, those things to me are the opitomy of nasty. When I see a horse with fetlock hairs hanging, I want to take my clippers and shave that off immediately. Just a pet peeve of mine but makes me crazy.

I have not needed this info but personally know of others that have used these various items...MTG, Rose Oil and in the ethnic section of hair products there is supposed to be a small jar of stuff that works wonders. With that being said I also believe as others have stated that genetics & nutrition will play a big role in hair growth also. Good luck with whatever you choose and please update us with what you do and how it works.

Here is my boy Midas in summer coat. About a third of his mane is on the other side. Lately when I go out to the barn to visit him, I always put my cold hands between his mane and neck... instant hand warmer!
default_laugh.png

midasCloseup.jpg

But, if you're really into the idea, why not go all the way?!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

linus-ii_zpsbef6b277.jpg

1902-longmaned-horse1_zpsa10f62dc.jpg

Or go for the punk rock look

baguio-03_zps9168b873.jpg

We don't do much to our guys manes and tails. We trim them straight across at fetlock height to make them thicker, you don't want them stepping on it and ripping out hair. We don't bag at all.

This is Lotto:

lottoarea5.jpg

He's got the most beautiful, full tail I've seen.

Now, my Sunny is an odd ball: by the time Nationals rolls around, he loses his forelock! I am so care over the summer trimming it so we don't lose any, but in Sept all he has is this poof left. By Dec, it's back to normal!
Flat Lotto visited my place years ago when nootka brought him here! I have a picture somewhere of him meeting my dogs.
default_aktion033.gif

Back