Lurkers...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For every one who posts on here I am sure there are 5 or 6 who never post, but read. They are soaking up information from experienced driving folk. You might call them a "silent majority". (I have decided to lurk more myself!
default_smile.png
)

So I hope the experienced driving folk don't abandon the driving forum. With the surge in interest in driving small equines nowdays, their experience and technical knowledge is essential.

It is obvious that there is a burgeoning interest in driving just by looking at the availability of miniature driving equipment NOW versus 10 years ago when I started. With that growing interest, there is a need for experienced tutors and mentors. Not everyone has access to or $$ for a trainer and we must muddle through on our own.

Without the online information generously available here, I'm willing to bet there are many folk who wouldn't have dreamed of driving. Just think what they would be missing!

Although I was already driving before I was introduced to this forum, I wouldn't have even known there was a higher, safer, more enjoyable standard to strive for if I hadn't read about it HERE. My horses and myself thank all who have shared and knocked their heads against the brick walls.

Thank all of you that do post and help everyone. Please don't ever stop posting about experiences, equipment and training.
default_aktion033.gif

I agree, with the down economy and cut hours at work I cant afford the $ for lessons. And, it is hard to find good, used equipment on the internet in my area. I read this section every day for info. Everyone, please keep sharing your experiences, good and bad. I really love the pics of minis in harness. When it comes to driving I am green as grass, my mini is too. Big mistake, I should have purchased a mini that was already trained. My boy is dead lazy and balks at everything I try to do with him. So, I am looking for another mini. This time I will be much smarter with my purchase. Thanks to everyone here I know what to look for and what to pass on.

Love it... every now and again I lurk just to take a break. Can't stop reading, but when you get that feeling that everybody is grouchy on the forum, or you just have had enough, nothing wrong with turning into a lurker. I highly recommend it. Can't stay away, but nothing wrong with reading and not posting until you read that posting where you just have to chime in. I am a facebook lurker for years now. I have all my privacy setting set to "no one". LOL.

I couldn't agree more. I am pretty new here and have found solace and comfort in reading about everybody's trials and tribulations, successes and bumps in the road. It is a reminder to not take things too seriously, never stop learning, and just plain relax and have fun, because after all, that is why I have horses again!! I think it becomes a little bit like a family, and people get upset and frustrated when others aren't complying by our standards or agenda of what we think of as right. Also, our self esteem gets threatened when we ask for opinions, and then actually get them!!

Driving horses is something that fell into my lap many years ago when i was young and foolish, doing crazy things with Standardbreds off the track. It fell into my lap again as an adult when I rescued my mares two years ago. Every day I learn something, and this is mostly because I have the posts here to read, digest, laugh, and commiserate with!!

I sincerely hope everyone who provides much of the experienced responses keeps coming forward with information in their typically thoughtful and poignant way!

Keep it coming!

Katie

shorthorsemom said:
Love it... every now and again I lurk just to take a break. Can't stop reading, but when you get that feeling that everybody is grouchy on the forum, or you just have had enough, nothing wrong with turning into a lurker. I highly recommend it.
I'm definitely getting to that point. The only reason I'm still on here honestly is because I have nothing else to do at work!
default_laugh.png
(When the phones aren't ringing and the morning projects are done, it's pretty much read a book or browse the forum.) Once I'm home I'm far too busy now to visit LB and don't really miss it much. I miss the people, don't get me wrong, but not the internet part of it.

Sometimes I post just because no one else has replied and I feel bad for the individual who's reaching out. Too many lurkers = no new opinions and no activity, which breeds more inactivity, and a forum dies. So keep sharing your driving adventures everyone!

I really miss your posts, Marsha, and hope my sometimes hastily-written replies weren't part of the reason you stopped making them.
default_sad.png
I was so happy to have someone to talk to I probably got a bit intense!
default_blush.png

Leia

I agree- we all need to stick around. I feel badly that sometimes I don't post to something I have read- but life is very busy...like now- when I have to go bring to ponies up from the pasture. LOL...but really- this forum is great and we can learn from everyone.

And I love meeting forum members....I have met LAminiatures
default_smile.png
and targetsmom....Lucky seven-you aren't far from my sister- so my daughter and I could offer some help if you ever need it. :)And barnbum and I are longtime buds
default_smile.png

Angie

Thanks for the offer, I am having trouble getting him started. I have lunged him in the past but, dang it, he sure can be bull-headed and acts like he hasn't a clue about what I am asking him to do. lol

I'm a lurker or poster depending mostly on time to type out a reply and on my mood. Often I will refrain from comment while I wait for more experienced members to respond. I am not really a beginner but I sure do not have any where near the level of experience that Myrna, Lori, Leia and some of the others here have. I have been on the asking end -yup sometimes you feel a bit defensive because you read a response as if the person replying thinks you know nothing at all and I know for a fact my response to those posts can come across like I don't care to listen- even tho I am the one who asked and it sure isn't how I mean to sound when I type it (for anyone who has been kind enough to share their ideas and opinions with me, if I have given the impression I am anything bit grateful, I apologize) - and I have been asked for help by more than one person in my area because my experience is greater than that individual. I have always gotten answers to any question I've asked and regardless of how the responses were worded or made me feel, I always without exception, consider the advice and comments very seriously. Sometimes I choose a different approach to my situation than was suggested here but the responses are always food for thought and worth filing away in case they suit a future problem. I would hate to see the truly knowledgeable people stop coming here and posting because they think they are not getting thro or their advice is not appreciated. Where else can we go on the internet (or in our communities) that we can learn so much from people who share our love for the sport of driving?

The internet is like a double edge sword. It has opened the world to us and given us the ability to communicate, information, and best of all SHOP!

I have met new people online and later in person....Leia is one example. I got to meet her at the National Drive after chatting on another forum,

But with this instant ability to write or type, we have lost the nuances that let us incorporate other nonverbal communication. I have misunderstood and been misunderstood through email/blog/text etc. The other part is we are somewhat anonymous when we use the internet and may say something we would never speak outloud.

I respect those that have more knowledge and experience than I. I look forward to seeing what information I can glean on this and other forums. We need to be repectful of each other but keep in mind that there is the potential for misinterpretation of the written word.

Thanks to all who share!

The day I cannot come on here, put my hands up and say "Help I have a problem" is the day I give up horses!

Right, now, I am about to start a "which harness thread, so get your fingers on over there!!

Latest posts

Back