Lowest Cost Decent Harness for Experimenting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyFriendFlicker

Reaction score
I am interested in training Flicker to drive, I think. I found an Ozark Mountain Easy Entry cart for a good price..ugly but solid. I can't seem to find a used harness, so I am looking for a new one. I don't know if this is something I am going to stick with or not and while I'm normally obsessed with everything being super quality and best I can afford reasonably, I think that would be a waste of money for a first harness. I am interested in doing it, but the obstacles are too many other things going on, a baby on the way, no good places to do much driving without trailering, etc. So, perhaps you can understand my hesitation.

I have looked at:

Pleasure Harness $249

Nylon Driving Harness $195

Bitting, Breaking, Driving Harness for $450.

(Flicker already is nicely broken to ride and takes a bit just fine. We've done lots of lunge work and some ground driving as well, so I'd really hate to spend this much unless I HAVE to. He also drags things happily behind him, with no worries about noise or pull....I can't bet on it, but highly suspect he is already broke to drive.)

I'd give you links, but the minitack site isn't working right now, so I'm just relying on the catalog.

Any advice on those or whatever else you recommend is greatly appreciated.

I've been using the Pleasure Harness from Lisa at Ozark for 6 years now and I LOVE it. Very good quality, inexpensive, and I'd buy another one without even thinking twice--this one has held up so well I just haven't need to! Here is my harness: Pleasure Harness from Ozark

I've trained horses and shown in this harness. I've used it a LOT over the years.

Edited to add: The horse in my avatar is wearing the Ozark Pleasure Harness and he was trained in this harness 6 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second that! You don't really need a fancy bitting/breaking/driving harness and nylon is to be avoided at all costs. Go with the Pleasure Harness! $250 is an extraordinarily good price for a quality leather harness and I'd trust Lisa of Ozark implicitly. My first harness was the Ozark Carriage Harness and I still like and use it four years and a lot more experience later.
default_yes.gif

Leia

I too have the Ozark pleasure harness and I love it. I did have to make a lot of adjustments for my 31", but it is a nice quality, inexpensive harness. I also think it is very nice looking with the patent saddle and blinkers and the brass. I've had mine for 6 years and it's still going strong.

Ditto!! I have three of the Ozark Pleasure Harnesses and I start my horses in them and then use them for trail driving and dust them off and go to a show!! Can't beat the price and quality!!

Great, guys...I'll order one of the Pleasure Harnesses today, I think. I'm really happy to hear the reviews. I was afraid I had to go with junk or more money than I wanted to spend right now.

You think it'll work well for a 36.5" ball of fluff?

Send Lisa his measurements, especially around the girth, around his nose two fingers below the cheekbones, from one corner of the mouth over the poll to the other corner of his mouth, and from the saddle area to his tail. If any parts don't fit when you get them, let her know and she'll exchange them for the right size.
default_wub.png

Leia

I personally prefer the harnesses from Mini Express and have found them to have a bit more sizing options. They are off the top of my head about $220.00 for a leather one comprable to the Ozark harness.

I personally prefer the harnesses from Mini Express and have found them to have a bit more sizing options. They are off the top of my head about $220.00 for a leather one comprable to the Ozark harness.

Ditto here. I have two of their show harnesses, one is over 6 years old and looks awesome!

Lucy

More excellent advice. Thanks, guys!

Now, for stupid newbie questions:

Overcheck or side check?

Brass or chrome? (I assume brass is better unless I need 'silver' b/c I don't have to worry about rust.)

Lastly, can you recommend a good bit? I'm assuming a half cheek snaffle, but don't know what brands are good with minis.

default_smile.png

MyFriendFlicker said:
Overcheck or side check?Brass or chrome? (I assume brass is better unless I need 'silver' b/c I don't have to worry about rust.)
Heck no, the opposite. Brass tarnishes the minute you even look at it and takes HOURS to clean while chrome or nickel or stainless steel (the silvertone harnesses) look good for months. Avoid brass if at all possible!

Despite the fact that most harnesses come with them, checks are not a necessary piece of driving equipment. You can use a loose sidecheck to keep Flicker from trying to put his head down to graze while your child is handling the reins but otherwise it has little purpose and should not be so tight as to prevent him from carrying his head in a natural position. An overcheck is used to hold the nose out for a horse who overflexes and is a poor choice for a cross-country drive. Get a sidecheck and leave it loose or drive without one entirely. Flicker will thank you for it!

Leia

I use a loose side check to keep them from grazing mostly. I have several of the cheaper harnesses from Ozark. I use them for both training and around home work as well as for cart rides at festivals and birthday parties and stuff. I have mostly silver/chrome for this purpose, but like the color of brass for showing and have that on my more costly show harnesses. I use a half cheek snaffle most all the time. I am really glad you have decided not to get a nylon one. For us, that was a waste of money. We ended up with leather anyway and now the nylon ones sit on the shelf.

Have fun.

Angie

I am sure 15 people will chime in after me and say that they've never had a problem with nickel hardware, but I would suggest you stay far, far away from nickel harware. I only want stainless steel (if I want "silver") or brass hardware on everything, even halters. I have never, ever had luck with nickel hardware staying pretty, however, I do live in an extremely humid climate, so that may have something do to with it.

I personally prefer the harnesses from Mini Express and have found them to have a bit more sizing options.
I've used my Ozark Pleasure Harness on everything from a 29.75" mare to a 34" mare and had no problems. For the little mare, I just made a few more holes where necessary, obviously!

I realize that ThreeC however Mini Express has a harness of equal or better quality for less money as well as they have that harness available in size XS made for the under 30 inch crowd. Regular or A size harness for the 34-35 inch and under horse as well as a true B size harness that will fit the 35-36 inch horses up to 38 inch comfortably.

Again more sizes to choose from when purchasing. I just find Mini Express great to deal with and love the quality of products they have!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Mini Express would post better photos of their harnesses on the website. The ones I've seen in person I have not been impressed with at all but the basic leather harness might be different.

Leia

P.S.- I have no actual experience with nickel so wouldn't be surprised if it had problems; I know nickel-plated bits are cheap and bad. Stainless steel is the metal of choice for "silver" harness.

P.S.- I have no actual experience with nickel so wouldn't be surprised if it had problems; I know nickel-plated bits are cheap and bad. Stainless steel is the metal of choice for "silver" harness.
So, is the chrome on the Ozark Pleasure Harness over steel or stainless, do you guys know? Chrome around here doesn't have much of a lifespan...brass generally goes green and yucky quicker, but is functional longer. Or, maybe it's just polished stainless? I should probably just call and ask.

I'm near Houston.....VERY humid, some salt air, depending which way the wind is blowing. ;)

Yep, call and ask. *LOL*

Oh, and don't ever use the starter bit that comes included with new harness. If you don't already have one for riding you can get a decent Weaver brand no-pinch snaffle for around $15-$20.

Leia

Avoid brass if at all possible!
Oh no! IMO brass is the only thing to buy!!

I also like the pleasure harness from Ozark--that is the starter harness I recommend to everyone that asks me what to buy. That wasn't the first Mini harness I bought, but it was the first one I bought that I liked and that fit decently. I have since bought some extra parts to make it fit better on my bigger B horses (and my 2nd & 3rd harnesses are the Ozark carriage harness, also custom fit), but the basic pleasure harness is still a very good buy. It's nice quality and fits nicely on a wide range of horses.

My harnesses all have brass hardware.

Back