Louie Fontes 1925 - 2006

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniapp

Reaction score
It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of Louie Fontes of the RF Bar Ranch in Riverdale, Ca. I know that he had many, many friends and acquaintences in the Miniature Horse community and I hope that this announcement reaches as many as possible. While I had the honor of training and showing his magnificent Appaloosa miniature horses to many AMHA and AMHR titles and managing his breeding program from 1989 to his dispersal in 2005, I have had the priviledge to call Louie and his wife Virgie my dearest friends for all those years.

Many of his notable horses were, Tiny Tim, 5 Time AMHA National Top Ten and a magnificent sire whose name appears in many of the top Appaloosa miniature horses of today. RF Bars Miss Teenie, RF Bar's I'm Cool Too, RF Bars Cool Hand Luke and RF Bars Joe Cool are just a few of the great horses sired by Tiny Tim and have started their own dynasty. Louie had a vision of the horses that he wanted to breed and was always so excited when a new foal was born or a horse excelled for a new owner. He loved the breed and the people in it...

Below is the obituary that appeared in the Fresno Bee:

LOUIE T. FONTES Louie T. Fontes of Riverdale passed away on Sunday, July 2, 2006, at his home at the age of 81 years. He was a native of Riverdale and lived there all his life. Louie was a retired dairy farmer who after he retired, raised and showed national champion miniature horses. He participated in numerous parades with the horses. Louie was a member of the Riverdale Rodeo Association, St. Ann's Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus, Hanford Council #2343, Kings County Cabrillo Club, I.D.E.S. Council #108, Riverdale, U.P.P.E.C. Council #81 in Riverdale, Riverdale Luso American Life Council #15B and S.E.S. Council #73, Kerman. He also enjoyed hunting. Louie is survived by Virginia Fontes of Riverdale, his wife of 58 years two sons, Richard Fontes of Gold Hill, Oregon, and Kenneth Fontes of Arroyo Grande two daughters, Judith Johansen of Riverdale, and Sherrill Massingham of Benicia two sisters, Isabel Mello of Hanford, and Adeline White of Kingsburg eight grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and numerous nieces and nephews. Recitation of the Rosary and Mass will be held at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Riverdale on Friday, July 7, 2006, at 10:30 a.m., followed by a private interment. Friends who wish, may contribute to St. Ann's Church Building Fund, P.O. Box 335, Riverdale, California, 93656or St. Agnes Hospice,

P.O. Box 27350, Fresno, California, 93729-9804

-Dale Funeral Chapel Lemoore, CA (559)924-5611

Below are some photos of Louie and the horses that he loved...

Louie and RF Bars I'm Cool Too, 7 Time AMHA National Top Ten Halter and performance gelding:

fc24e48e.jpg

And Louie, Virgie, Eric Housley and I with Tiny Tim:

fc2c8bfe.jpg

God Speed, Louie... I will miss you ......

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Pictures say a thousand words...and he looked so happy in the pictures. So sorry to hear of his loss.

Clara

Dear Suzy:

Although I never met Louie personally, I have met many of the Appaloosa horses he produced. From them I know he was a good man who was well associated with the virtues of kindness and gentleness. Please convey my condolences to his family and to his wife, Virginia. He will be missed by many of us miniature horse breeders.

Take Care,

Lee & Cory

My prayers are with his family and friends. I had the privilege of meeting Tiny Tim in Acampo a couple years ago. He is a nice little stallion.

Oh Suzy, so sorry to read this. I never had the pleasure of meeting Louie, but you know what a fan I am of his breeding program. Please pass my condolences along to his wife. They've contributed so much to the appy bloodlines in mins.

Did you email Penny? I don't think she's on the forum, but I'm sure she'd want to know.

We'll keep his family in our thoughts and prayers. May he rest in peace.

His joy thru life shows in those wonderful pictures. May he run with all the minis in heaven now. My deepest condolences to you and his family and friends.

I can feel the sadness in your post. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend and to the miniature horse world.

He left a wonderful legacy and will be well remembered by all.

Maxine

Dear Suzy:

Although I never met Louie personally, I have met many of the Appaloosa horses he produced. From them I know he was a good man who was well associated with the virtues of kindness and gentleness. Please convey my condolences to his family and to his wife, Virginia. He will be missed by many of us miniature horse breeders.

Take Care,

Lee & Cory
Thank you Lee and Cory. I will pass your condolences on to the family.

Oh Suzy, so sorry to read this. I never had the pleasure of meeting Louie, but you know what a fan I am of his breeding program. Please pass my condolences along to his wife. They've contributed so much to the appy bloodlines in mins.

Did you email Penny? I don't think she's on the forum, but I'm sure she'd want to know.

We'll keep his family in our thoughts and prayers. May he rest in peace.
Hi Michelle... No, I have not emailed her yet. I will do that right away. I also need to let Kat know as well... she purchased quite a few of the mares early on and I know that Louie and Virgie thought fondly of her.

Yes, Louie did contribute so much... I can always tell an RF Bar bred horse when I see it in person or on the Forum. They just have that look about them... I really can't believe that he is gone, I still expect a phone call telling me about a new foal or to drive down there and see him on the golf cart tearing around... I will miss him so...

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Latest posts

Back