Ohio State University Breeders Conference

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie Ballard

Reaction score
I want to share an invitation that our club received from Dr. Walter Threlfal, OSU College of Veterinary Medicne. I've personally attended this conference with other MAMHC Members and it was great. It is packed full of information...presented at our level, great handouts to take home for reference. It was so cool getting to see the entire facility, lectures from top experts in their field...breeding issues, parasite control, pastures...so many things were covered...it was a real value. There were 83 at the conference which included everything from owners of couple horses to large herds, vets, vet techs...getting their continuing education credits. We had lectures, slides, videos in a lecture hall, hands on lab work like examining uterine tracts, infusing a mare, AI, shots, ultrasound and palpation...great learning experience.

Dr. Walter Threlfall runs the conference...incredible wealth of knowledge and a treat to listen to for sure. He asked that we share this info:

This course whas had a profound effect on veterinarians, veterinary technicians, breeding managers and owners. We would like to invite you to the 30th Annual Equine Breeding and Seman Management Conference at The Ohio State University, December 6-9, 2007. Conference registration fees: $225 Equine Semen, $375 Equine Breeding Management or $550 for both courses, if registered by November 1, 2007.

Lectures only: $150 Equine Semen, $300 Equine Breeding Management. Please contact Dr. Walter R. Threlfall, DVM, MS PhD, ACT, Director of Continuing Education for more information regarding the conference at: 614-292-6661, fax 614-292-0895 or [email protected] for more information.

I have to add....when Dr. Threlfall was handing out certificates at the end of the 3 day conference....when he called my name...he said "Connie Ballard....member of one of the most progressive breeds around".....which was a huge complement to the miniature horses. He stopped...went on to explain...if many of the big horse breeds...would be as aggressive at improving the quality of their horses like the miniature horse breeders have been over the past 10 yrs...it would be a better equine world. He went on to mention different issues particular breeds have naming several....such as the QH with HYPP Syndrome, etc.

He said he rarely sees a mini come into the clinic that isnt a nice specimen of a quality breeding program.

OK...one last word....GO BUCKS!!! Ohio State University! (ah....Tim loves his Buckeyes...had to add that...lol)

I think I am going to try to swing the entire thing this year. I have never attended and I feel like I have really missed out on something after talking to people who have attended.

Guess I have to start banking some vacation time for this!

Also, one day they break for dinner...then hold an open panel discussion....in the lecture hall....so anyone that wants to come back and ask questions of the professionals are welcome to do so. Its very informal, comfortable, small enough group that you just raise your hand and ask whatever you want....even not breeding related. It was awesome to talk one on one...about things of concern or that you are curious about.

AND....it connects you with these professionals...they give you their email, phone number...to call. Dr. Threlfall says he'd rather you call him than make a mistake in the field.

I know you wont regret spending the time or money....have fun Jody!

Latest posts

Back