loud breathing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowpaints

Reaction score
I have a yearling filly, that has always had her nostrils 'flared' when she breaths out this summer i started hearing her breath. had the vet check her out, she is completly healthy . just breathing LOUD. no sickness, infection etc... no abnormal nasal discharge. previous owners had sever full siblings out of this fillies parents, one of which i own. none have ever had a problem. vet seems to think she will out grow it, as her head grows. listening to her breathe is just so terrible! vet isnt willing to do anything till at least next year to see if it corrects itself..

anyone had this issue before? i do have the dentist coming out in november, ill have her look and tell me what she thinks...

any ideas?

There are a few different possibilities, but having endoscopy performed should get it diagnosed. I would not agree that there is a likelihood to out grow it.

Dr Taylor

took her to another vet today, he diagnosed athsma and put her on steroid injections, i have to take her to another vet and have the endoscopy preformed, and will make a appoint ment in the morning

she has gotten worse since i first posted, had blood pulled to to a CBC , no fever, not pnemonia. so endescope is next, just have to make the appointment

My vet told me just yesterday about some "new" drug that she has been using--not sure if it's actually a new drug or if she just meant new as in she has just recently started using it--it's a steroid that works wonders for heaves. It might be something that would help your girl. I did ask the name of it but didn't write down the spelling--it starts with an M.... would have to ask again. Anyway, she said you give just 1 cc and it's good for 6 weeks.

My vet told me just yesterday about some "new" drug that she has been using--not sure if it's actually a new drug or if she just meant new as in she has just recently started using it--it's a steroid that works wonders for heaves. It might be something that would help your girl. I did ask the name of it but didn't write down the spelling--it starts with an M.... would have to ask again. Anyway, she said you give just 1 cc and it's good for 6 weeks.
i will definatly ask, he said there were several things we could treat with should we need a long term treatment

i have had mine xrayed and dentist to see my boy this week do to being snuffly and having a bit of a snotty nose for a couple of months as antibiotics didnt clear ir. its due to his teeth basically taking up the room of his sinuses etc, he is teething and apparently should inprove as he grows. apparently its quite common in miniatures and nothing to worry about? ive got his xrays if you want to see let me know and ill load them up later for you.

If he has COPD (heaves) then I would encourage environmental changes as well as drugs as the condition worsens over time thus any medication stops working as well over time.

Dr Taylor

before we do anything else, we will be doing the endoscopy as the vet thinks there is something up there that is blocking her airway. yes she is getting steriods, to help short term as the vet feels finding what is in her airway and blocking it is making the athsma worse. keeping my fingers crossed that the endoscopy isnt too expensive

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back