lost our first foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

running in the red

Reaction score
we lost what would have been our first 'home grown' foal. madien mare age 4- was with her for 2 days and went into the house for less than 5 minutes------look out window on my way back out to the field to be with her and see her down..went running out and found the baby in the sack not torn- I break the sack and do mouth to sount- nothing. we have moved here not long ago and had to setup with a new vet-my old one will not come out this far,I call the new vet and kepp getting put off by the recptionist......no- hurry- the baby is dead-is what she says----------I get mad call my old vet and load up the mare and the baby and sack. He said that she 'slipped' the foal......it was 5 weeks early......mare doning fine now.....

So Sorry to hear you lost your baby.. :no: That is the main reason I don't want to breed,t I am affraid to have babies.. Glad to hear your mare is doing good..
default_wub.png
:

I am so sorry.........The response from your new vet's receptionist was cold and uncalled for.

With the fact that you responded to the birth within 5 minutes, probably means that the foal was indeed dead -- a stillborn. Those are always very hard to take.

I glad your mare passed the baby so easily. Hope all is well with her.

MA

So sorry to hear that you lost the baby and I agree, the reply from the receptionist was totally uncalled for. I personally would send a complaint to the office in writing!!

So sorry to hear of your loss. The vet's office was harsh, I would look for another one too.

If she was really early, most likely nothing you could have done would have saved that particular foal. But no matter if stillborn, it is so hard to get used to losing even one.

Hugs...

So sorry for your loss...
hug2.gif

Five weeks early? Based on what gestation? Five weeks "early" based on 340 days would not be early around here... 305 days is normal for some of our mares... but every mare has her own schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry for your loss, we've been there. That last six weeks is to a certain degree the most vulnerable for a foal.

I hate to hear about a loss like that for your first foal. I know its especially hard to deal with, but hopefully you'll be able to go on enjoy many successful foalings.

I am sorry that you lost your foal. I do share your sorrow & grief! Our first foal this year was born dead about 4 weeks early. I do believe that I watch my horses more than anyone & sometimes there is still nothing we can do! Bless you & glad your mare is ok.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that your mare is ok.

Latest posts

Back