Lost only foal of the yr

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very sorry for the loss.
default_sad.png

I am so sorry for your loss. I don't have much experience with foals, but I don't think he had hydrops. Hydrops babies have a huge amount of fluid in their tissues in humans and I would assume the horses would also. He looks pretty normal to me. So very sorry
default_no.gif
Barb
The 2 cases of hydrops I have experienced in horses - the foals did not have a huge amount of fluid in their tissues and looked normal.

It was just a thought. As I said... often, there is no discernible cause.
default_sad.png

So sorry that this little guy did not make it, Alisha...
hug2.gif

I'm so very sorry to read of your loss. I know we all ask the question 'why' but sometimes there just isn't an answer.

One year the first four of my mares to foal down all lost their foals with twisted cords - one mare lost hers a month before she was due, but the others were within a week or so of their due dates and simply gave birth to dead foals. Then my fifth mare foaled a red bag and we lost that too! I was nearly a basket case I can tell you!! I cried buckets of relief when my sixth mare presented me with a lovely healthy colt after a normal delivery!

Of course I asked questions and racked my brains for what I had done wrong, but I never found the answers and all those mares have foaled again several times without any problems!!

Hugs to you and your little mare.

Anna

This must be heart breaking for you and I'm so sorry. As I've not been through this before then I cannot offer any advice or suggestions as to why it happened, however I agree that your Vet should check over the mare and flush.

Big hugs to you.

I'm sorry for your loss, looks like a very normal - and very nice - colt. The few foals we've lost over the years have all been colts.
default_sad.png
Thankfully it sounds like your mare will be fine with just a flush and antibiotics.

I have one I'm watching at the moment who is in that critical time - very tiny mare, hugely pregnant and making a bag. She is on Regumate and SMZ's for the duration, crossing my fingers she holds another 6 weeks.

Jan

I am so sorry
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
to hear of your loss. I have never lost one (have only had 2 bred mare's) so far. I do know that it happens at times and I feel for everyone who loose's one. I'm am so glad that your mare is doing ok.

I had always been afraid of breeding in the past with my standard horse's just because the fear of loosing both (the foal and the mare). So I am glad the mare is doing ok. I have learned alot since I started raising miniature horse's (quit different but yet still the same as standard) and I am always learning something new each and everyday.

I do hope you can find some answer's. HUGS go out to you and your mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for your loss, looks like a very normal - and very nice - colt. The few foals we've lost over the years have all been colts.
default_sad.png
Thankfully it sounds like your mare will be fine with just a flush and antibiotics.I have one I'm watching at the moment who is in that critical time - very tiny mare, hugely pregnant and making a bag. She is on Regumate and SMZ's for the duration, crossing my fingers she holds another 6 weeks.

Jan

Jan, help me understand what the SMZs do at this point. I understand the regumate but hadn't been advised of the SMZs. I'm very curious to learn what it does.

Thanks and hope your mare comes along just fine with no problems and a healthy foal for you.
default_wub.png

default_sad.png
Thankfully it sounds like your mare will be fine with just a flush and antibiotics.I have one I'm watching at the moment who is in that critical time - very tiny mare, hugely pregnant and making a bag. She is on Regumate and SMZ's for the duration, crossing my fingers she holds another 6 weeks.

Jan

Jan, help me understand what the SMZs do at this point. I understand the regumate but hadn't been advised of the SMZs. I'm very curious to learn what it does.

Thanks and hope your mare comes along just fine with no problems and a healthy foal for you.
default_wub.png
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Since SMZ-TMP is a broad spectrum antibiotic it's utilized to help eliminate any infection that the mare may possibly have present which will cause her to abort.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]I'm terribly sorry to hear about your little colt and thank goodness that you mare is doing fine though.[/SIZE]

I wanted to ask, Was his cord twisted? Sometimes they twist the cord so tight it just shuts down any blood supply. Sorry for your loss.

Katiean, I dont know about a twisted cord. When I got there Sunny had the sac gone and there was no cord.

Alisha

[SIZE=12pt]Really sorry you lost your foal. I just lost a palomino colt as well. She would have been due in May. Baby looked normal. She carried her last foal with no problems at all. Do you vaccinate for Rhino?[/SIZE]

Judy

default_sad.png

Jan

default_wub.png
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Since SMZ-TMP is a broad spectrum antibiotic it's utilized to help eliminate any infection that the mare may possibly have present which will cause her to abort.
So sorry you lost your foal!

Question: How much smz would you recommend for a pregnant mare and when to start giving it? I have a special older mare that lost her foal last year and want to do whatever I can to help her keep this one! Thanks for advice

Latest posts

Back