Lost my first foal......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem74

Reaction score
default_sad.png
Two weeks ago (xmas eve) I lost my first foal. I had a vet present for the birth but it was a "dog sitter" where the back legs come through under the tummy. The foal was really stuck and vet thought he may have to cut it out. He managed to get it out after about 5 mins of twisting and wrenching but he could not revive the foal. Apparantly I was VERY lucky I had the mare alarmed or i would have lost her as well!!!!!
default_sad.png
I am totally gutted and murphys law it was a gorgeous silver dapple filly to one of NZ's nicest stallions. She was not a maiden in fact this was her 2nd foaling after an uneventful first foaling.

I have tried to see the positive in it all and I have decided to take the mare out showing with me for the remainder of the season. I know that it is said that once they are broodmares they never look quite the same again. But here is a pic of my mare two weeks after the event. She is lacking muscle tone of course but I think shes not half bad considering what she has just been through. What do you think??

angeljan9.jpg

I'm very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and the mare.

From that picture I say she looks fine to go back to the show ring.

Karen

:no: SORRY FOR YOUR LOST.
default_sad.png

NICE LOOKING MARE, I WISH I LOOK THAT GOOD AFTER BIRTH OF A CHILD.

TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MARE,

MELISSA

I'm sorry you lost your foal. Thankfully you were prepared and your mare survived. She is pretty, and is looking good.

~Karen

I'm so sorry about your foal. You did your best by having the vet and being there during the delivery.

I think your mare is very pretty!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Good luck and I'm glad your mare is OK.

im so sorry for your lost foal. its just heartbreaking to wait that long and have it turn out bad, but im so glad you were there to help her

Sorry for your loss it's always a let down when you loose one. But l'm always grateful if the mare is okay.

I am so sorry on the loss of your foal. Its a good thing you were there for her. She is a very nice looking mare, she reminds me so much of my Slipper. Corinne

I am so terribly sorry for you. I have had a similar situation, lost my foal after 4 days of intensive care at the vet and almost lost my mare also, she was back in intensive care herself the following week due to something causing her metabolics to go completely out of whack. I did bring her out to show a while later and although we didn't really do well in the placings it was fun for both of us and helped us get over the tragedy of the lost baby. So I say go for it!

Again, I am so sorry for your lost foal...it is something I personally have yet to get over with my foal. It was my very first (and so far only) mini foal.

So sorry for your loss (((HUG)))

Glad your mare is OK, she is lucky that you were there so quickly.

She is a beauty, I agree show her and enjoy her
default_yes.gif
:

I am so sorry for your loss. You are so lucky that you mare is fine - and she is very pretty - and doesn't look like she just had a foal!!!

I went through the exact same thing in April/06 - the foal was in a sitting position and the vet had a really hard time getting the foal out. Thankfully our mare is fine as well - and if she had tried to foal unattended the outcome would have been disastrous. This was her 2nd foal as well - her first foaling was uneventful. I guess these things happen - but it is so hard when it does. I was so thankful that we had our mare on marestare.com as I had so many people send prayers and good wishes to our little mare.

So - I really do understand how you feel. These are the things that people need to know about if they think breeding is easy!!!!

Again - glad your mare is doing well - and have fun on the show circuit this year!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back