LOST ALL FILES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesper

Reaction score
Not really horserelated, and then still.

Do you take backup of your pictures, mails, documents and so on?

If yes, where do you save the backup?

If in the house, what if the house burns down?

If no, why not?

Is backups too hard to do? Do you forget it? Don't know how? Don't know what to backup?

A bunch of questions but have you even thought about it? Let me hear what you do about backups

Jesper

Ok heck yes I backup; usually once a week when I update my virus program. I learned the importance of that the hard way. I have a special folder on my desktop named 'C'. That's where anything of any importance is stored regardless of file type, except my pictures which are in their own folder. I can get all of my photos on to two CDs (one for horse stuff, one for everything else), and the rest of my documents from 'C' on one more disk. Those CDs, and the software disks needed to access pictures, are kept in a little car case in my office, easy to grab. Although if the house burns down, I've got so many critters to evacuate that the disks would likely be left behind. My mom and I also frequently swap photo CD's, so we each have copies of the others. Photo albums (with registration papers) are all in one location near a door, so I could probably grab all of those. The only thing I don't back up is my email program for work, but that can be accessed through the downtown office if needed.

The backups are easy to do and don't take nearly as long if using CDs as it does with floppies. I can get everything burned in 30 to 45 minutes.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
default_yes.gif
: If you lose those pictures, they're gone. CD and/or DVD, zip drive, flash drive.

Personally, I like to not rely on CDs etc all the time myself. There is a webhost provider that for less then $100 a year you get your own domain name, and a year of webshosting. That has a 10 GB storage etc and is a great company to work with. I have yet to have gotten my website from them but am planning on it by the end of the month hopefully. The only catch with it is that you must pay for the entire year at once. Godo thing about it though is that your domain name is free, and there are no set up fees etc for it if you do it that way. Most places I have ran across there is usually a $50 setup fee, $25 for the domain, plus you end up paying like $10 a month for webhosting and at that rate you might as well go through another company and get things cheaper and get more even as most places generally on do a 5 GB storage and that is running around $10 a month. Hope this makes sense.

I keep a lot of back up cd's, but my primary is an external hard drive. I back up all my photos, files, music, etc on it.

Oh, just in case the house does burn down, it fits in my fire-place safe. No guarantee that it'll not melt in there, but it makes my stuff stand a much better chance of surviving.

I'm also notorious for keeping copies of my favorite photos on my work computer.

It's good to hear that atleast some take backup of their files, I guess many forget that they are VERY gone if your house burn down and so on. Better safe then sorry.

I use a combo of DVD's and http://www.onlinestorage.dk

the DVD's for larger stuff like all my pictures, some game stuff and all my personal documents, the online storage is for personal documents and stuff like that.

Jesper

Oh yes...I learned the hard way. Had such a beautiful CD of all my horse's pics.....which when now I look back on it was kinda dumb for me to do. That one CD was totally horse pics on it. Well for some odd reason the CD went bad on me and I did'nt have a backup.....I was just beside myself.....my horse's baby pics (but than goodness some of those were scanned as I have the photos of them), my first driving show with Hershee...etc.....Hubby came to the rescue and I'm not sure how he did it but he was able to restore some of them...most of them went away. Now I backup practically everything....even my videos!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back