Looking to get a New Harness... Do these measurements look right?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minirocky

Reaction score
I measured Mac this evening using the highly sophisticated measurements of baling twine. This is what I got. Do they look right for a 32" mini?

Breastcollar – 26.5

Breeching – 34.5

Cavesson – 17.5

Body measurement – 43”

Crupper - 24.5

Headstall – 30.5

Girth – 48.5”

I also am trying to decide if I want a Comfy Fit Harness or a Camptown. Urgh, decisions. Any other suggestions? I love the idea of the breastcollar that dips down on the deluxe, because my mini has a little bit of a thick set neck.

What are you measuring for the breeching? That measurement seems big if you are measuring stifle to stifle--which would amount end to end on the breeching. (ring to ring) My biggest breeching is 33" (not including holdback straps) and that actually fits my 42-44" ponies. It would be too big in my 34" minis, even the one with the big butt.

I may have gone up above the stifle, in all honesty. Me and breeching aren't the best of friends!

I won't be much help as I'm very new to driving, but I have been measuring my boy for a harness as well so I can add some comparison. My guy is 36" though, but it still might help.

Headstall (corner of mouth over the head to the other corner): 32"

Back strap (last hair of mane to the top of tail): 30"

Girth (around belly right behind front legs): 46"

Your girth measurement seems a bit large, but of course that could vary a lot between horses.

Do you have a flexible measuring tape or dressmaker's tape? That's what I use and it's really easy to get measurements.

I can't help you with the harness choice debate. My only advice would be to look around on classifieds and Facebook groups for used ones. You'd be surprised how many nice ones there are in almost new condition for great prices. You can get a lot more for your money when you buy used.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He is super fuzzy, but he's also pretty wide around. I can try again with a measuring tape, but I'd have to find it first. ;)

Normally, I would be all for used tack. But honestly I think with the harness and cart I want to go new. But thanks!

Latest posts

Back