New Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

On Sunday I bought my very first harness, it was a very good buy, it came in a big suitcase with the harness and an extra brand new bridle, reins and bit as well. The lady I bought it off said she paid around the $300 mark and I got it for $150. It does need a good oil and possibly a few extra holes to fit, but it does fit pretty well on my mare Snickas which I was very pleased with.

Since its my first time having a harness I am unsure of a few parts, and the people I bought it off were first time harness trainers as well so they also didn't know. Its only 3 pieces that are unfamiliar to me, all the rest I knew where to put them on her. I just cant seem to find what these pieces came off, Not sure if they are off the new bridle or the harness itself, or not even included at all just random pieces.

Here is photos of them, What do you think they are for??

All the rest I am okay with just those 3 pieces I am unsure of.

The downs of it is, The chest part is too big for her and the girth has no padding, so I would like to buy some attachable padding for her as it is very coarse and feels like it would be extremely uncomfortable and could become painful. But other than that its good.

I think the little harness bridle is just so cute as well

And now I have too many bridles, these are hanging in my room, the one on the far left is the one that came with the harness and the middle is my brand new one that we bought a couple weeks ago and the one on the right is my parents friends that they lent to me and keep avoiding to take back. I also Have another 3 bridles that don't have bits and one that I have when I used to have my TB :p

But here is it on Snickas, she doesnt have the chest part on because it looks stupid cause its too big and no bridle because I still have to change the bits over. The main question was what do you guys think of those pieces?

I only just roughly put it on her to see what it was like
default_smile.png

It also came with a spare crupper

How would the spare blinkers work? They are very small. And would the nose bans be for the driving bridle or just off a random bridle?

Those would work just like the regular blinkers except allow a bigger field of vision for the horse. It is hard to tell just how big they are in the photo but they do look smaller; some horses do not having their vision restricted by full bonkers. I think those would keep the horse from seeing what is behind him but would let him see more at front/sides.

I would assume the nosebands are off a driving bridle. Very few other bridles (here at least) come with that sort of noseband.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see.

I will post a photo of the other blinkers with some size comparison, They do look like the size of the bridle, just it looked to me that they were very small to be blinkers thats all, I didn't even know they made smaller ones
default_smile.png

What the others said about your miscellaneous pieces.

Your harness looks to be too large as well. Though with some holes placed, you might be able to get it to work.

All 3 parts that you have on her are large - the hip straps hooked to the breeching, the back strap and the saddle/girth. The breeching is too long, too, but I'd rather have that than too small. It does appear to have the hold back straps. The saddle is very long and doesn't look like you can get it tight enough to properly hook her up. However, if you can get it to work, you could have a smaller girth strap made that will fit the saddle better.

And it does make me wonder about the breast collar and traces...

Latest posts

Back