Looking for info on making coolers/fair prizes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwest2u2

Reaction score
This is my first year as being a the super, for the mini horse division at our county fair and they have no budget for prizes so I am trying come up with ideas for low to know budget. I wanted to make a cooler for a prize but if I put a webbing on it and velcro it was up to $28. I am a totally non sewing person, but I want to try. The fleece was only about $9, so let me know how you would make one cheap! Also I would love other ideas of stuff to give out, I do have a company that offered free embrodiery work on the stuff I get. So give me some ideas please.

We made our coolers for our guys. And cheap too! I know WalMart has good prices on fleece. Neither me nor my mum are sewing gurus and ours came out GREAT! It's very simple to do and the cost is minimal. Also look at fabric places that may have sales going on with their fleece.

We made our coolers for our guys. And cheap too! I know WalMart has good prices on fleece. Neither me nor my mum are sewing gurus and ours came out GREAT! It's very simple to do and the cost is minimal. Also look at fabric places that may have sales going on with their fleece.
Ok can you email me some directions on how you sewed them? Like did you put a boarder around the edges and what did you use for ties?

I still would like to hear others ideas.

Thanks,

Patty :aktion033:

i've made some both with boarders and without. I've actually found they come out good if you just take the fleece and fold it onto itself (ie. fold the edge once then again onto itself) then sew it down. those came out looking good (and i'm not at all a sewing person). i look around for cheap velcro where I can find it..and cheep polar fleece. Many times the walmarts here have a thinner polar fleece that is only a couple dollars a yard. Check local walmarts sale rack (i LOVE the dollar a yard rack).

I made a cooler for my little guy using a pre-made throw from Walmart. The edges were already bound, and it was just the right size, and only cost about $5! I just added a loop of webbing at the top center edge to slide the halter crownpiece through, a set of ribbon ties at the chest level, and a piece of webbing at the tail end. The webbing was fairly inexpensive from the craft department, but I have also bought a long cotton leash from the pet department (about $8 for maybe 25 feet???) to cut up for straps on various things. I'm all about "re-purposing" things!!

I designed the one thats on the horse in my avatar...If you like it I can help you make it...Its made of polar fleece and its stunning...

Ok I am off to Walmart this weekend and see what I can find. If anyone else has any other ideas of awards I can give out to the owners know that would be great.

Thank for all your help. Patty :aktion033:

I tried emailing this back to you but oh well i figured I would just put it in here..LOL....

Oh how great it is to hear from you. That lil horse of yours is something. I just like em...Anyhow about the cooler... Its really easy I believe it made from a yard and could be alil smaller..I will measure it for you when I go out this weekend. Better yet I will get some pics of it. Believe it or not it doesn't have anything very fancy on it...Its got a gold trim on it about maybe an inch and a half away from the edges. Underneath those the fabric is just cut like the l l l l l l l so it looks more presentable. The only embroidering done on this lil thing is a clover that was embroidered and then sewn on to one of the corners. I think the clover was cut out of one of those green pieces of fleece that you can buy at Wal-Mart for 50 cents. So it was pretty cheap to make. I hope you can get an idea of how it looks visually. I will get pictures for you so it should be easier. Now the only thing I have yet to do was figure out how to do velcro or anything...I don't have a machine to do that with...Might have to exp. with a couple tiny pieces on a scrap piece.

I saw a variety of colors of fleece throws at Garden Ridge a few weeks ago. For $3.00 each. They make perfect coolers with no sewing other than sewing on some velcro or grosgrain ribbon for fastening.

I like my coolers to fasten at the crown piece of the horse's halter, under the neck, and to have a tail strap. All real easy and cheap to do.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Back