Looking for ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
So I am back again looking for some ideas on a mini gelding who just will not gain weight. He is 4 now and has had problems keeping weight most of his life on and off.

What I know:

He has hay available 24/7, nice soft 2nd cut grass w some alfalfa

He gets a 12% pellet twice daily, a full scoop (quart size)

He drinks well, cleans up all grain, eats hay.

Stool is softer then the outside horses but normal

Have had the vet out, teeth were done in December, did 5 day purge, have had him on ulcer meds..carafate and rinitadine with no change and I see none of the usual signs of ulcers.

Ideas???

The only thing that comes to mind is - make sure he is the one actually eating his feed (not sure if you put him in a stall to feed him or feed him in pasture with others.) Weigh the feed to make sure he is getting the right amount according to the bag or switch to a higher fat feed or a senoir feed soaked. Depending on how bad it is - maybe have the vet draw bloodwork to see if something systemically is going on.

Another thought - If you had his teeth worked on in December - has he had time to gain weight since his teeth were done?

He is fed inside and eats all his grain, none in the bedding...was thinking of trying some corn oil next or another high fat supplement. I use this particular feed because it is soft and easy to chew. Maybe I am expecting improvement too fast.

Remember half of what you feed is used as "bulk" to push the feed through the hind gut, unless you supply bulk (chaff or beet pulp) with the feed.

I would suggest you adding soaked and drained beet pulp at the very least and chaff (hay chop) if you can get it.

Try getting him on a 14 to 16% grain, feed according to the bag weight specifications and add a Purina supplement called Amplify. I feed my hard keeper and pregnant mares this combination and it works wonders. You really only need to feed 1 cup twice per day of the Amplify and you should see results within a month. Hope this helps!

Whats the fat content of the feed? I would maybe try a feed with slightly higher protein, and 8% or higher fat. How active is he? I know I had to up all of my horses feed once I brought our yearling colt home. Everyone runs and plays most of the day, instead of standing around like my older boys used to do.

When adding fat, most oils are 100% fat. Most supplements marketed as horse fat supplements are 40% or 60% fat.

The amplify is what I was thinking about too. It is a suppliment to be added to the feed, or simply just try Purina Equine Senior which already had the amplify incorperated into it. Equine senior is not just for seniors, any horse that seems to have issues keeping weight on, needs an easy to digest feed or something that has a higher fat content but you don't want to incorperate excessive amounts of sugar into the diet will benefit from equine senior. If you want to get extra fluid into them in the winter, equine senior fluffs up in less than 2 minutes when warm water is added to make a thick mash. As much as 2-3 parts water and one part feed will make a nice mash, not soupy at all! I have to say there is alot of good stuff in Equine senior that will make their coat shine like crazy when they shed out.

I highly suggest a high-fat supplement you can either add to his grain or just feed it to him. 2 products come into mind. One is called Healthy Glo, the nuggets is 20% fat and the meal is 25% fat. Healthy Glo is made by ADM and I would contact them and say which product they would suggest. I've been very happy with the ADM feeds.

http://www.admani.com/horse/Products/Horse%20Healthy%20GLO.htm

Another I have personally used and had success with is called Omegatin made by Kent. Same thing either feed as a supplement or feed it by itself. It isn't cheap so I fed it as a supplement. Its a 20% fat.

http://www.kentfeeds.com/products/equine/omegatin/omegatin.php

We have used senior feed for some of our hard keepers.corn oil also,we had an arabian mare,older,that stayed thin,we even tried cool calories and everything. Adding the corn oil,her senior,and a bit of cracked corn made her easier to look at over time,she just never really gained properly,she had kidney failure and camcer ,she lived until she was 45,thin and all,until the state made us put her down,due to nosy neighbors,. I havent tried weight builder,i believe made by farnam,i have heard it was pretty good.

Back