looking for a poly covered bit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightningbug

Reaction score
looking for a poly covered bit found one with apple I have a horse with a very soft mouth. Had her in a snaffle trying to break her for driving and every time you pulled back she flipped backwards. but her in a straight bit and she seems a lot better but some one reccommended a rubber coated bit. having a hard time findind one. any help would be deeply appreciated

thanks

That seems sort of weird... maybe her mouth didn't have time to build "callouses" I know that's not really the exact thing I mean but it takes some horses time to build up the right insensitivity to a bit. I like the fat stainless steel eggbutt snaffles that www.miniexpress.com carries for baby mouths. I don't know how hard back you pulled either.

A horse shouldn't be able to flip backwards when you start ground driving due to a soft mouth, release pressure and send them forward if need be until they understand what you want.

A bitting rig can also "force" some pressure onto the mouth if you set the side reins long enough.

And maybe a running martingale can help a little to keep the head from throwing upwards and letting the horse feel like it can rear up?

I just personally feel that changing or adding/removing a piece of tack is NOT a magical cure-all. Sorry.

Andrea

Some horses have low pallets (especially arab types) and the single-joint snaffle can have a nutcracker effect where the joint hits the roof of the horses mouth. This can cause them to throw their head because of the pain. My mini did this (and my arab) but when I switched him to a french link snaffle he stopped throwing his head. Good luck! L

I LOATHE jointed snaffles with a loathing deep and true. They are NOT gentle bits, not at all. You (some of you) just think they are because they appear to have a gentler action than a "Cowboy" curb. Not true, just a different action. Try either sewing chamois leather round the bar bit- it makes them slobber but keeps the mouth moist at the same time. Or a nice full cheek French Link- best bit in the WORLD. NEVER met a horse that would not go in one- met a few I could not stop in one but they all went forward alright
smile.gif
I wont drive, well start driving anyway, in anything else.

Forgot to add- if the horse is flipping you are going too fast. Try not to add artificial aids as the horse depend on them- I would suggest taking the bit away altogether and ground driving from a noseband until the problem is sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also buy latex wrap and wrap just about any type of bit with it. you can make it as thick/thin as you want and it's softer than many of those poly/plastic bits. Might also be hard to find them in mini size. seems to be hard to find many types of bits for mini's.

Latest posts

Back