Looking for a Cart...:)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie Iceton

Reaction score
Hi! Well this past week here was our local fair in Armstrong BC, the IPE. Its an awesome agricultural fair and is one of the biggest in Canada. Anyway, I was using a cart for the driving classes, it was a jerald runabout, for my horse Shadow because they have driven games classes (barrels, poles, keyhole and stake race) on the wednesday and my horse flies around the courses as he has been doping them about 6 years now. So I was using another ladies cart, the jerald because it had a lower set, wider wheel base and the tires where more heavy duty and would be better for going around corners fast and sharp. I figured this would be less likely to tip versus my metal easy entry with its thin little bike tires which I am surprised had lasted the 2-3 years of games I had done on them.

So we were doing fine until the third game, the keyhole. We had run the course, and had crossed the finnish line, and I was attempting to slow Shadow down and turn right as we were gonna hit the fence. Well as he turned, I slipped left out of the cart and pulled it with me, and Shadow got his front leg hooked over the shaft and the judge ran over and helped me untangle him and everythnig was fine, we even won the class as the tip happened after the finnish line (my tail bone hurt for a couple days LOL
default_laugh.png
) and Shadow came in second on the next race which was barrels, which I was worried that the cart would tip again, but Shad took good care of me and I made sure to hold the cart down as well.

So I am wondering, I am looking at getting a new cart for Shadow, he has a wooden meadowbrook that isnt very suitable for games as its a show cart, and I had considered a runabout for the games and such but after tipping I am not so sure...I am looking for an easy entry (as the runabout being as easy entry as it was saved my butt because if it hadnt been easy entry it could have been a bigger mess) with a wide, substantial wheel base for things such as games nad speed and combined driving. We had a lady there with a Smart Cart and I really liked it but they are pretty heavy and I want something that will be stable but fast...

Ideas anyone?

Easy Entry is also Easy Exit.
default_rolleyes.gif
Put some nonskid shelf liner down on the seat, it will keep you from skidding out sideways and overbalancing the cart. You can also make a wedge seat- very useful! Those two ideas will help make any cart better suited to high-speed turns and are quite common in combined driving.

Now if you really want a cart just for games and speed though...you can't beat the Hyperbike!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
That thing was literally designed for exactly that and is the funnest drive I've ever had, hands down. Graham Carriage Works

Kody sure loves his!
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Thanks!! I was hopin you would endorse the hperbike...I am seriously looking at it! Trying to convince mum it would be good, and safer! Question though, this fair runs on EC rules ( Equine Canada) would this cart be allowed unde r these rules? I will ry and find out I suppose. I was also looking at Scotsman Carts....Never really heard of them before but their site is nice and the carts look pretty nice. Thanks though!!!

Thanks!! I was hopin you would endorse the hperbike...I am seriously looking at it! Trying to convince mum it would be good, and safer! Question though, this fair runs on EC rules ( Equine Canada) would this cart be allowed unde r these rules? I will ry and find out I suppose. I was also looking at Scotsman Carts....Never really heard of them before but their site is nice and the carts look pretty nice. Thanks though!!!
You can't get much safer for high-speed manuevers than the Hyperbike; I trust it with my life every time I drive marathon hazards. It is VERY stable and turns on a dime because you're so close to the horse. I'm not familiar with the EC rules so unfortunately couldn't tell you if it's legal. The ADS has allowed it here in America but every association is different.

Scotsman is a newer brand so it's not surprising you haven't heard of them before. Milaine is local to me and they are nice carts. They might be a bit more versatile as far as being usable for passengers and in regular non-speed driving classes and they'd definitely be allowed under EC rules. It's a question of what you're interested in!

Leia

Easy Entry is also Easy Exit.
default_rolleyes.gif
Put some nonskid shelf liner down on the seat, it will keep you from skidding out sideways and overbalancing the cart.
Leia
At my neices first show the seat in our show cart had an angle to it. So, I got the duct tape. I made several rolled lengths of tape. 2 lengths fastened her undies to her fanny. The next 2 fastened her undies to her skirt. Then I put 3 lengths on the cart seat. I set her in the cart and told her not to move. It kept her from slipping forward. If you can't fix it with duct tape....well, you know the rest.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back