Looked at a mare the other day... too wild for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

Reaction score
So I am searching for a companion for my little colt for when he weans and is delivered to us.

I am fairly new to having horses of my own... so looking for a nice calm gentle companion for him.

I went to look at a little mare the other day that has just stuck in my mind.

She wasnt used to being handled, head shy, didnt like being touched, she would lead once a lead rope was on her, but she coudlnt be approached and a lead rope put on her. She spooked really easily.

Totally not what a need.

But I cant get her out of my mind. She would spook and run to a corner of the pen and face away from me and then look back ears up over her shoulder and make eye contact. Like she WANTED to be able to connect and be with you, but she was too scared.

I turned her down....

But I cant get her out of my mind now and I'm sad.

default_sad.png

cmhr has several horses for adoption that would fit your bill perfectly as a companion to your colt.

I dont think the mare was handled much.... or someone was mean to her at some time in her life.. She led around the place ok, but had no manners and

She was soo spooky and hand shy and flinched away from every move and would panic and try to get away if something scared her.

I have about two months before my little guy comes home I think maybe 3.

I was tempted to take a chance with her..... but I just dont think I have the experience for it.

Im being very careful not to jump into anything too soon and get overwhelmed... the colt wasnt actually a planned happening... he was a suprise gift.

I am hoping to find one that I really click with that wont teach levi bad habits.

I may be being too particular.... but I want the guys to fit well with us long term, not

jump in too soon and find out we just dont mesh and fit together.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide. If this particular horse keeps pulling your heart strings maybe you could go back for another visit? Keep us updated
default_saludando.gif

I'm going to point out what I think you probably already know. There is a good chance that if you take this mare it could take a very long time (possibly years) to overcome her fear and if she is penned with a baby that youngster will look to her for direction. She will easily show him that he too should be very cautious and this probably means hard to catch and jumpy when he is. If the colt was a quiet adult it would perhaps go the other way and he could help her learn to trust as a foal he will follow her lead in this I think. The mare canlearn to trust and like people even if she's never been handled or been badly handled but I wouldn't bank on it being a quick a easy change for her.

AS a breeder who shows, I let me weanlings and yearlings (sometimes till they are 2) to just be horses. they learn to lead and have their feet down, their shots and worming, but can be very hard to handle. I want that. When i bring one in to show (usually 3 or 4) I start working with them. I teach them to tie and stand quietly for short periods of time, extending the time out for up to 2 hours. I will also bag them. That means I take an empty feed back and lightly hit them with it, front, sides back end, etc. When they settle down and do not show as much fear of the bag. I stop and love on them, groom them and put them back in their stalls. I do this daily till the bag does not bother them at alI. then I start teaching them to set up and allow their legs to be handled.

From there I start walking them around and teach them manners to give me my space. I also teach them to eat mints, so that they look forward to them and after being good, I will put them back in their stalls and reward them with a mint. When I walk them around I introduce them to tractors, trailers, cars, loud noises and dogs barking. Before you know it, they are very tame and look forward to me working with them. But... because they were not babied when they were young, they give m no trouble giving me their ears when asked.

This does not take years to tame them, but only weeks. Ones that are no longer shown still come up to me for the mint treats.

It sounds like the filly that you are interested has not been handled much and she is just scared. I would take her and work with her. Some of mine were so frightened when I first started working with, they would run to the corner of their stalls with their heads in the corner. (this is a safety reaction from a frightened horse. When scared, they get set up to kick. I have never had one kick me or bite me. They would rear and rear when I would try and put a halter on. They are now just pussycats after I have worked with them.

I think you have two issues going here. You have a little mare (and I take it from the word mare that she is over four years old?) who has 'stolen' your heart, and yes, you could go and buy her - over time and with food, gentleness, understanding and loving these nervous/badly treated little folk often turn out to be 'in your pocket' sweet and kindly little beings.

BUT this mare is not the one to be a companion to your newly weaned colt when he arrives. For a start you would have to keep them apart as she may well give his a good kick or two if he tries to get 'up close' or to play with her, just as any mare would - you will not know if any mare or older gelding will get on with a young weanling until you try them together, and by then it may be too late.

Your colt needs another weanling boy to play with, rough and tumble with, to race and chase with and to share scratches with. Try to look for a pet quality weanling (not expensive especially if you are offering a forever home), one who has been well handled, leads happily etc etc. This youngster would be the perfect companion to your boy, plus give your lad the confidence to settle down in his new life.

Anna

anna

everyone keeps telling me to get an older mare or gelding so he learns herd manners.. that another youngster would be like two 5 year olds teaching each other manners(eeek I have a 5 year old... I KNOW how that would be) so I have been looking for older calm gentle companion. I was considering getting his half brother who is just days apart age wise until everyone I have talked to started stearing me to older. I really like his brother, though I am intimidated by having two youngsters to train.

They are 3 months old, my guy is the only one getting any halter work (just getting used to on and off.. no real lead rope work yet) the breeder had some health issues and sold most of his horses and hasnt worked with these babies much. They are used to being petted and loved on and being around people, but nothing else... Only drawback is his brother is little bit more than I wanted to pay right now(I am trying to hoard extra funds for backup winter feed and vet expenses just in case fund - so trying to keep the companion cost way low- since Im so new at this I dont want to get overwhelmed with expenses right off the bat if anything happens...)

I think everyone has given good advise so far. One thing that has not been mentioned is that unless the colt is gelded, if you get this mare, you will wind up with another foal that you are not prepared for very quickly.

Regarding the mare, I find the best way to gentle down a horse is to keep them by themselves, in a small area. Make them depend on YOU for everything they get: hay, grain, water, etc. That helps them to learn that you are their friend, not their enemy. If they are with other horses or in a pasture, it will take forever to get them to trust you, if they ever do.

I really do agree with those who have advised getting another boy for a companion to your colt. An older, gentle gelding might be fine, but babies really need to run and play with each other.

we do plan to geld my little guy. After all the stories I have read I sure dont want to mess with breeding and with horse prices soo low around here there is no point.

My little guy isnt going to be registered, hes just going to be a pet, maybe therapy horse eventually.

Although the thought to get an older quiet gelding to keep your little boy company is good advice, I still stand by the fact that weaned babies NEED other babies to play with! An older gelding is not necessarily going to be very pleased to be bounced on, jumped at, wrestled with, or to join in with chase games round the field. Your boy NEEDS to do these things to give him a fun life as well as giving him plenty of natural exercise (not enough exercise can lead to naughty behaviour understandably!) He is a baby and should be able to spend his 'own' time with another baby. His 'lesson' time is spent with you.

It is also important that his new baby compnion is of similar build and weight to your little fella, not someone bigger and heavier, or playtime can become a bit onesided.

I would not suggest that you buy another colt from the same place as your little chap, or you will have two that need 'lessons', you need one who has been weaned for, say, a month and has had its early 'lessons' established - it is such a help, for instance, to have one that leads happily for your little chap to follow when he is starting to be lead about.

I'm sure there must be folks on here who will have heard of/know of a weaned foal/breeder they could recommend. Dont be in too much of a rush, the right companion will be out there somewhere just waiting for you.
default_yes.gif

Good luck!

Anna

The work in the roundyard that the first reply referred to is Monte Roberts Join Up. Probably goes under lots of other names too but that is the one I know it by.

IT WORKS.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Actually here's what I'd do. I'd get another colt for your little fellow to play with
default_smile.png
then I'd buy the mare because she obviously needs you.
default_biggrin.png
Then you would have 3.
default_laugh.png

One day soon you would wake up and find you had 23
default_new_shocked.gif
and wonder how that could possibly have happened.
default_unsure.png
Then your life as you knew it would be over and you would spend the rest of your days in servitude
default_hypocrite.gif
to these glorious but endlessly demanding little critters.
default_cheekkiss.gif

That's what I would do.

But then you might not be as silly as I am.
default_poke.gif

GOOD LUCK.
default_cheers.gif

Helicopter WHat you said is so true. I rescued one mini in 2003, had him gelded(5 year old stallion with no manners). I was breeding arabians at the time and had 8 or 9. In 2004 I thought Sanka was lonely so traded a arabian filly for a mare, she came with mini papers and now I have 23 minis and 3 arabians with one arabian mare due to foal later this month. Minis are like potato chips you cannot just have one. LOL If this mare was closer I would adopt her as I have had really hard to catch, very nervous minis before.

Helicopter = EVIL HORSEY ENABLER!

I must keep the horsey count managebly low... for the horsey food funding provider might decide hes had enough of crazy horsey wife......

Though he sure does do lots soft fuzzy horsey nose kissing when we are at the barn with all the mini horses.... heheheh...

Perhaps a gelding that is about a 2 year old might go well with your colt? He should be calm and have manners but still be somewhat playful? I agree with having an older quiet gentle horse but also with him having someone to play with. I ended up with only one foal here this year and it's so sad- he is dying to have someone to 'wrestle' with and the girls only tolerate so much.

Hard to make a decision, but I know you'll find the right one. You know your limits and if you think that mare is too much to take on, then dont. Stick with your plan and go with your gut.

Even with two babies growing up together, you will be surprized how they will learn and be well behaved and they will make their own social order with each other.

I have bought a mare like that a few weeks ago. The former owner told me she is over 20 years old and she was barely handlable, only with a calming shot from the vet. They hav had her over ten years and they weren't able to catch her. We have had her one week and now she runs to me every time called. At the former owner she stayed in the pasture 24/7, at us she only stays in the pasture the day. Now we lead her every day in her stable and there she get her feed two times a day.

I have simply walked her off, if she runs away I walked right behind her as long as it took to get her. If I want to catch her I take a leadrope with me so every horse can see I am going to take one with me. If I just want to pay a visit,I don't take a leadrope with me. In the first week I sat down in the paddock and read a magazine.

Sometimes horses realize amazingly fast what they shall do.It took some patience and consistency.

If you google "hard to catch horse" you find some suggestions and answers. Bt I think love is always the key. Love and a plan.

Latest posts

Back