Long rein

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekycharlie

Reaction score
Can you's on here tell me how to start off my mini to get him long reining?

I'd like him to try it for a change instead of jumping.

Thank you.

Well the first thing would be to get him used to a bit, starting for 10 mins a day and building on that as minis dont long rein well with just a halter in my experience, hopefully other more experienced will give you more info. All the best with it, its the next best thing to riding or driving I think.

We start them all wearing a bit but with the long reins attached to each side ring of the noseband of a headcollar (worn over the bridle), on a circle. So in effect you're lunging with 2 reins, one on the inside rein and one going round their bottoms (where a fillet string would go). When they are comfortable with the rein round their rear ends, we turn them away from us so they are going on the other rein. It takes a bit of practice and you're likely to get in a tangle the first few times so be sure your reins are properly coiled and you don't get your hands stuck! In an emergency you can drop one rein and hold onto the other without risk of the horse standing on the dropped rein and injuring his mouth as he might if the reins were on the bit. Once both you and the horse are proficient at turning away and going on the opposite rein without ending up like a ball of knitting, it's safe to put the reins onto the bit rings. With practice, you can long rein a horse in trot in figures of 8. Once the horse is working well to the voice, and understands what he's doing, we then start driving from the bit and also by walking behind them. We start hundreds of horses of all shapes and sizes this way. By getting the horse accustomed to the reins before going onto the bit, it avoids pulling delicate mouths around. It also avoids the horse taking hold and running away with you behind him! (Been there done that!)

There's lots of ways of doing the job, this is just one that we use and it works for us. We get lots of comments about what lovely mouths our horses have too!

Kate

I start mine in a halter, then switch to an open bridle, then a bridle with blinders. They make the transition very easily from the halter to the bit.

Usually, during the time period that I'm teaching them to ground drive in the halter, I put an open bridle on them for a few minutes a day to get them used to the bit. Then when they ground drive well enough in the halter and don't mind the bit anymore, I switch to the open bridle. Then I begin getting them used to the blinders by taking them for walks (leading them) down the road, etc. Once they are relaxed, we switch to that bridle. However, if you don't intend to drive your horse in a show, there is no need for blinders.

I don't recommend a rubber bit.

I should have mentioned that we long rein as part of the process of breaking to ride, we don't drive. We don't use rubber bits for starting as we find they're usually to fat! We don't using bits with breaking keys either as we feel they make the horse fidgety with their mouths.

Kate

I always use a full cheek ( I do not understand the action of a half cheek- perhaps someone can explain??) French link snaffle- in fact I use that for just about everything.

I used it for the Arabs as well, it really is a brilliant bit.

Dunno about half cheek either? I also use French Link a lot.. it seems to be more acceptable to young horses than the nutcracker action of the standard snaffle.

k

I am starting my mare ( well me and my trainer
default_smile.png
and I found a great full cheek french link snaffle and was assuming I would need to change to a half cheek? I like this one but more important is the fact that Holly LOVES it he mouth drips with foam...so you think this one is acceptable for driving long term? Showing too? Thanks Renee

I found a great full cheek french link snaffle
Wrenhart, where did you find it? What size? I'm all excited now. LOL

Okay, bits aren't my area of expertise but lets see if I'm coming close with the o-ring vs. half cheek vs. full cheek thing. My layman's understanding, gained in 4-H, was that full cheeks and other non-leverage protrusions were simply for keeping the bit from pulling through the horse's mouth if too much pressure was applied to one rein. Further reading in the book "Bits and Bitting" (about the use of bits from start to finish in upper level Andalusian dressage horses) mentions that full cheeks are excellent for long lining because the indirect pressure on the side of the mouth reinforces the idea of steering for a green horse. Many riders in the lower levels here use a full cheek but do not use the little keepers that secure the upper arm to the bridle because we simply were not taught to do that. Any use beside preventing the bit from going through the mouth was not discussed. Half cheeks, I had always assumed, were there for the same reason. A full cheek is a bit cumbersome (pun not intended) on a driving bridle but a half cheek doesn't get in the way and seems better to me than an o-ring in that there is something keeping it in place.

Plus, well, it's traditional! LOL.

French Links sound great, I sure wish I could find one in half-cheek that isn't made of copper. Sounds like there should be some out by spring at least so that's good. I'll let you all know how they are when I get my hands on one.

Leia

Hmm I dont know much about driving as we are just starting but i have started my horses in a D-Ring which is my bit of choice for riding horses. We have a french link with a D ring

Leia you are pretty much spot on- that is exactly why I like the full cheek and cannot understand the half cheek- we do not really have the half cheek bits here, so I am not accustomed to them.

It is, by the way totally incorrect to use the keepers on a full cheek- they are meant for use on a Fulmer snaffle which is a full cheek, loose ring snaffle and completely different action. If you were to put keepers on a full cheek ordinary snaffle you would send the joint up into the top of the horses mouth and I have seen some very nasty potential runaways caused by this.

I have shown in a full cheek, but I would normally use a liverpool for showing- bar mouth no joint, obviously.

I really like the bit, it looks nice and is traditional.

I am not a lover of snaffles.

Maybe the half-cheek does the same as the full cheek?? I have a half cheek on my riding horse and it works well to guide her.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it is a different action as it is only on the bottom half of the bit.

Of course the idea of the half cheek bit is to prevent the bit from pulling through the mouth. My assumption would be the same as Leia's, that it's a little less cumbersome than a full cheek would be on a driving horse.

A well known Australian horse authority has written that this bit is among the best of the snaffles and is much favored, particularly in racing circles. In one of his books he explains that a full cheek snaffle is not suitable for racing because its upward projection can become caught up in starting gates.

Wow no, I do not think I have ever seen anything except a d-ring or plain ring snaffle used for racing!!!

Have you been to the races in Australia? Can't say, as I haven't, but given Tom's credentials I rather expect he did know what he was talking about.
default_yes.gif
:

Actually I've seen pictures of steeplechasers wearing half cheek snaffles.

I did use a full cheek snaffle on my welsh cross and did find it cumbersome so I changed to a half cheek and it is wonderful. I am even teaching her neck reining now and that bit of pressure at the side of her mouth is all she needs to know what I want from her. I wouldnt use any other bit now! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back