Long over due Topaz update W/pics!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main problem with weaning without another weanling is (IMO) the fact that there is no-one to play with. An older horse, even a yearling/2y.o. is not really so good as they simply dont have the constant 'fun/play' ingedient! And a weanling without a full on friend to be silly with is a weanling looking for excuses to use up all that spare energy!!

Love that new boy of yours, he sounds like a real gem! I have, in the past, owned and reschooled ex-racehorses with bowed tendons - although I admit to the fact that they only had one damaged tendon not two - the thing to remember is that the tendons are not broken, they have just stretched and not returned to normal. They will 'heal' and he should become sound, although they will alwas looked bowed. They will 'harden' for want of a better word, but the secret is rest, rest and rest - just turnout for exercise until the horse is completely sound. Then it is weeks of riding at the walk to complete the 'hardening off' preferably on a hard surface (roads/trails etc) keeping away from any 'schooling' type surfaces as, inspite of these seeming soft or giving, they are often uneven in their undersurface from where other horses have been doing other activities/jumping. It is a long process - I usually allow a whole year before progressing further, provding that the horse hasn't been owned in the meantime by someone who has already tried - and rushed - to get the horse sound. Everytime a horse with bowed tendons falls lame again, the longer it will take to get him right, if ever under those circumstances.

Good luck- give him the chance and I'm sure he will reward you.
default_yes.gif

Thanks! This is, again, all new to me! Jazzy has always been pudgy, happy and sound. The original injuries to Prince (new guy) were when he was training to race and obviously ended his career before it started. He re-bowed one this spring (I think) schooling for Western Pleasure on an uneven pasture and deep sand arena. He was rested (not enough given what I have read) and now is only consistently sound at the walk. The previous bows healed beautifully other than having been pin fired. Little has been done other than rest, liniments and wraps. I want to try some holistic stuff with him and some homeopathics and see what we can do. Expectations are low (that he will only remain sound at the walk) but I am willing to try anything safe, humane and affordable to keep him happy.

Good luck - I really hope he will improve some more for you, and for him, but he looks really happy in his new home and that's just wonderful. He's a lucky boy!
default_yes.gif

BIG news on our little girl! We did "mini" geometry today! Charm and Topaz loaded up and went to visit a local jr high school! The kids worked with Charm as one of the kids really scared Topaz and she was pulling back on the halter too much... But after the kids built geometric shapes with Charm, named the shapes and identified their attributes. I led Topaz around to work on perimeter! She had vet wrap on one leg so we all counted the same step and she helped teach!

My son also used her for his English presentation where he showed the class how to lead a horse and brought her around for everyone to pet!

image.jpgimage.jpg

FABULOUS pictures!!! And such a good day, it sounds like.

I'd say yes....hunter in hand!!

What a fabulous way to help little Topaz improve her education - plus an enjoyable day for the kids too. Brilliant!!

Love the 'hunter' picture.
default_yes.gif

Went on a weaning walk after dinner tonight. Was going to put the in separate pastures for a bit but the bigs were a little slow coming in. SO we walked down the drive and down the road. We are on a state rd surrounded by farms but we walked what would be about a block and returned to the barn. Loaded and unloaded into the trailer, walked a bit in the back pasture and went back to mom. The only fit she had was the one she was having that prompted the walk!

She is doing so well with all I ask of her. Weaning is a bit slow but she is solo and we have to build another stall seeing as Grandam couldn't say no to a big in need.

Ok, we attempted confirmation pics... It didn't go so well but I have pics! More cuteness to come when I find the card reader for my iPad. Ok, aparently you really do have to do tricks and stand on your head to see them. They are right side up on my computer... When my beloved geek gets around to it I will see if he can flip them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Such a pretty girl, and especially talented too!! To be standing so nicely on her head!!

Well I did swivel my laptop and get up to peer over the top of it to get a glimpse of our lovely Miss Cuteness and from what I could see she looks great! But will welcome the attempt of beloved geek to give them a flip over.
default_yes.gif

You are doing brilliantly with the 'educational' weaning, no need to rush, slow and steady will be fine until that possible companion arrives. By the way, how is that handsome Prince progressing?

Prince seems to be adjusting well to the life of a spoiled horse. We have done very limited riding as we don't have a good space yet that won't stress the injury or surrounding joints. He likes to watch the neighbors TV in their big sun room. He LOVES being the only gelding with a herd of mares. So far no heat or swelling on the tendons despite his showing off quite a bit in the pastures (much to my dismay as they are uneven and the back one has ruts we are trying to get filled).

I have him in a joint suppliment to help the extra strain there and when he shows off or works we have a holistic suppliment we feed and a liquid we put on his legs. He has magnetic leg wraps that we put on before riding and then he wears them regularly each night at dinner time. We are working on massage but he gets bored and wants to play.

Under saddle he is wonderful. He feels OK up front (where the two bowed tendons are) but feels off in the back right. I can't find any heat, swelling, ouchie spots, checked his feet which were just done... No clue so we aren't pushing it. It may be the surface we are riding on too. He over steps a few steps then is fine and it is usually in the same spot which is rather hard.

Hmmm..... Just went to add pics and two of his are upside down too. The boyfriend was of no help last night... Either the barn is on some weird energy for vortex that flips horses on their heads or I have my iPad upside down when I am taking pictures (?)... Ugh... More when I find my adapter!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You certainly make picture watching an "exercise" !!! I have an old time tower and screen, so it's really fun to check out your pictures! LOL

I guess I need to find my adapter and go back to the camera! LOL!

Grandam was BAD!!

On the up side, having never seen anything like this before and not having anything attached to her body since the blankie a two days old Ms. Topaz could care less!! Big floppy green things strapped to her back and the only reaction I got was "Grandam, my color is hot pink not green. These will just NOT do with my pink boots!"

image.jpg

Oh she is just amazing! A real tribute to her trust in you due to your brilliant handling and all that love you have given her!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back