Long over due Topaz update W/pics!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vansplic

Reaction score
Topaz is doing well. We are working on halter breaking. Grandam came up with this terrific idea to halter her and hand graze her seeing as there is very little grass in the pasture they are currently in. 1. Momma could care less that Topaz is out. 2. Topaz will come away from momma without hesitation. 3. Getting Topaz back IN the pasture with momma is darn near impossible! Guess weaning should go pretty easy so long as there is food! She was foaled April 20th so we are at the early end of weaning possibilities. Is it time to up the search for a buddy? does it go better with gradual, rewarding trips away from mom or cold turkey? Nursing at this point seems to be more for reassurance than nutrition. She is eating hay, grass and grain. But... we are in no hurry. We are also working on getting our feet trimmed but that seems to be the biggest training challenge so far.

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

IMG_6950.JPG

OK, Seriously... Were there NO fillies born in Indiana this season that people want to part with??? I can find cute colts out the wazoo but not a filly to be found!!!
default_closedeyes.gif

Thanks for the pictures - she really is such a pretty girl! I cant advise you about weaning as such, as we never do it before babies are 6 months old - and then it is simply cold turkey which has never caused a problem for us.

Not sure if you want or can take on another mare, but if there are seriously no fillies available for sale within a sensible distance, what about rescue societies - might they have a mare and foal or later on a foal for adoption to such a good home? Just a thought!

And please keep those pictures coming - she's such a special little one and we love to see her growing up.
default_yes.gif

WOW! She keeps getting more beautiful!! Weaning has always been cold turkey here too, with no problems. When they are eating good on their own, they just seem to hardly notice -- especially if they have a buddy -- and that could be an adult buddy too, as Anna says.

Keep those pictures coming -- she's a pleasure to watch!!

We will keep trying for a peer buddy, heck I would have more fun with a peer buddy too! I did find a breeder with two nice little buckskin girls available and we finally have a trailer (Yay!!!). I think I am going to start crusing the auctions (watch out world!). We have a place now to QT a horse from auction so we will see. If not I do have a couple other possible buddies. Don't think she have a hard tome at all.

BIG scare last night. Almost lost her. A local experienced breeder thinks she has a pinched nerve and needs a chiropractor/massage therapist. Vet thinks it was colic. Honestly thought I lost her just before the vet came in. Banamine and fluids and she seems OK again other than having scuffed her face up pretty good.

Big thanks to the aunties... As soon as the adrenalin passed the vet commented on how comfortable mom was with us manhandling an obviously distressed baby and how safe baby acted in my arms. He was very impressed with how easy she was to work with (relatively speaking) and how glad he was that momma didn't attack him. A little trouble getting the IV in but all other procedures were very smooth!

So sorry for the big scare, but you're very welcome! It just goes to show how loved your animals feel, and how you have positively affected their lives.

KUDOS on reacting so quickly!! You saved her life!!

I've seen your thread on the main forum. Consider treating her for ulcers, the symptoms are often very similar to colic symptoms. Your vet may poo-poo the idea, but many don't know/realize how common ulcers are even in horses that seem to have stress free lives. I've used generic Tagamet for people, just a couple tabs crushed and giving orally. There are several OTC horse products: Ulcergard is the OTC equivalent to the prescription GastroGuard; U-Gard isn't as strong but comes in liquid and pellets (I've used this a lot and it works decently, depending on the severity of the ulcers); many use aloe vera juice; and there are many other products out there.

I also saw your post on the main forum and just wondered if your vet could give a reason for this to happen again? I would say that they were more like colic attacks rather than a trapped nerve - it's pretty unsual to have nerve problems at this young age. What is her diet at the moment - does she get plenty of grass going though her system as against hard feed and hay? And yes it wouldn't hurt to give her a course of ulcer protection, as Chanda suggests.

Diane, when I suggested looking for a mare and foal, I meant for the foal to be a companion to Topaz once they were both weaned, not the mare. But like Diane I will be interested to hear if you find a result from an auction - a good idea/possibility I think.
default_yes.gif

Plus I too would like to congratulate you on your quick thinking when little Topaz had this last attack, and your love and care of her and her Momma was obviously appreciated by your vet- well done!

Thanks everyone. We are having political problems at our current barn and will be leaving by Sept 1st. Until then my 2 littles and 2 bigs are alternating on a small, now dry, lot. I had the minis on the lot during the day with grass hay thrown in small snacks throughout the day, alfalfa hay at night and mare and foal grain at night. I have pulled them off the dry lot for the next day or two just so that we can monitor and keep them off the sand that is below the little nubs of grass. I have also started feeding sand clear. As per the vet I am soaking hay and grain again (he thought that she may not be getting enough fluids as she is transitioning from more nursing to more drinking water). We are changing feed tubs to get everything up a little off the ground, changed to larger shavings as opposed to saw"dust" that was more fine and could stick on things. IF Lil miss will come in without it taking 3 of us, hay, grain, treats and an act of God we will do lots of hand grazing.

To be honest the vet did not think she was going to pull through when he got here but he couldn't say that to a 36yr old woman curled up in the sawdust around the filly massaging her, crying and telling her everything was going to be OK now. He is also the vet that could not confirm Charm was in foal two days before topaz was born... BUT I am deeply grateful for his help in saving her. Last time she did this the office would not even send a vet out. I think even momma had given up on Topaz. She had been watching intently on everything I did and then it just got SO bad. Momma went to a corner and sunk her little head down and drooped her perky little ears and didn't look over. When the banamine hit and the foal bolted from the IV mom started watching again.

I know colic is an overly broad term and as such can have a million and two causes. I am wondering thought if "Ortho weed be gone" broad leave herbiside could cause this. I have asked that my pastures not be sprayed or if they must that I be given warning so I can keep my horses off of them for a bit. Anyway there was a pump sprayer outside the door by that pasture and the weeds turned yellow the day/day after Topaz had this issue. I have to look back over things but they may have sprayed just before she did this last time too.

The littles will be moving to the new barn as soon as it passes my OCD standards. While not optimal horse grass there is plenty of grass for them and this property owner doesn't care if I spray paint the whole place purple as long as everything is legal and doesn't start trouble with the neighbors.

While the biggest win of the other nights scare was Topaz pulling through I have to admit a close second was the impact it had on momma. Having always been a brood mare momma is polite but typically has little use for humans. Momma has let herself come up 5 or 6 times now for scritches. :D I WILL "ruin" her and make her a pet yet darn it!

While I can't say for certain, the Weed B Gone sounds like it could be a the reason; babies are forever putting everything in their mouths and tasting everything, even if the packaging says should be safe for animals, babies aren't ready for everything with their immature immune systems.

Sounds like she is recovering nicely now and should be right as rain in no time.

Your future plans sound just perfect. Hang in there and do your best to keep things ticking over (just as you are now) until then, and I'm sure that once you get get your horses away from those sprays (most probable cause of Topaz's episodes IMO) and into some natural pastures, you will find things will settle down and become more normal - less stressful too!!

I agree with your vet to keep 'feed' damped down - the digestive system of a youngster at 3 months old is not yet really suitable for too much dry food. Keep an eye on her though - a lot of horses are not too keen on eating damp/wet hay, but you could make her normal feed pretty sloppy to help if possible. Sand clear is a good idea just in case and perhaps the ulcer meds later?

You are such a brilliant caring Momma to your girls, it is just not fair that 'outside influences' beyond your control are causing you so much trouble.

((((HUGS))))

Sounds like you may have discovered the cause of her distress. Your plans sound wonderful, and this special girl is getting lots of prayers to come through with flying colors -- and not do this again!

Keep up the good work with Momma! She'll come around, I'm sure -- with all the love you're giving her and the little one, she won't be able to help herself!

THANK YOU! So tired of hearing that I am over protective!! She is doing much better but is rather angry that she is stuck in the stall for a bit. My house knows nothing of picky eaters... 2 legged or 4.
default_smile.png

Chin up, you've done a great job...

Hope to hear of better times in the next month and please do tell more about the new home for your guys!

Again, over due but it looks like others have kept you busy!

After wearing the halter 3 times for a few minutes each time and three times on a lead rope little Topaz will follow you just about anywhere on a lead line. Door frames are a bit scary but other than that we seem good.

She is rarely if ever nursing any more. She will nuzzle down there but not latch on so I figure momma will likely start to dry up if she hasn't already.

The big move is tomorrow. She has loaded into the trailer and come out just fine but we have not closed the door yet (I really don't think she will care so long as there is hay. This is a miniature horse trailer so they fit in well. I am thinking of tying mom but letting Topaz stay in loose as I am afraid she may panic being tied and she could get tangled up in momma no matter how short the trailer ties.

I wormed momma the other day and Topaz has a bit of a gut to her. I don't know when you start worming the foals themselves though and I know she is SO sensitive.

There are currently two fillies for sale locally that would be good buddies for her but we have a new rescue coming in the 7th. Honestly the only one to have any separation anxiety is momma. Perhaps momma needs a weaning buddy instead! ;) So... Trying to work out space as the new barn is small and we are out of room for more stalls.
default_sad.png

The most recent pics are on my camera which is in a box somewhere... But I know you need a fix.. oK, this pic is super old... She FINALLY fits into her little leather halter now!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great to hear from you again - love the pics even if they are not up to date, she's such a pretty little girl. Good luck with the move - by the way I wouldn't tie either of them in the trailer, as you say certainly not Topaz at this young age, but she could also easily run into Momma's rope during the journey - unless you string Momma's lead/head tight up to the roof, and that would not be nice! We always travel mares and foals loose and never have a problem.

Hope all goes well for you at this exciting (and stressful!) time. We shall need lots of updated info once you are settled in, pics too please!

Again, good luck, hope it all goes smoothly.
default_yes.gif

I'm with Anna -- no tying mom or baby. I generally always let mine loose so they can move about and keep their footing as the trailer does it's lurching and moving. I've even moved 6 horses at once with 2 stallions -- all loose (didn't have far to go) and there was no "hanky panky" and everyone was fine. But then, all my boys run in a bachelor herd when not breeding, so for them -- with no mares cycling -- it was just "another ride".

She's so pretty and growing up so nicely!! Just love the pictures!!

If she's starting to get a bit of gut -- what are you feeding her? Remember, these little ones need a high protein diet, or they get that...what I call..."Ethiopian" belly shape -- which is not indicating they are fat -- just that they need more protein. Looking forward to lots more pictures!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back