Locket scared me last night

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krstn&Locket

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I went out to the barn where I bored my mini and she was sweating really bad, I mean she was soaked all over in sweat and breathing a little hard. Yes it was warm yesterday but I checked the other horses and they seemed fine. When I touched Locket she was burning... she was so hot so I hosed her down and usually she fights with me when it comes to water but she just stood there so I new she didnt feel good. After I hosed her she was eating again so I figured she wasnt colicing or anything so I watched her for a while and went home. I figure its because she has almost her full winter coat while the big horses dont yet but it still scared me with that mosquito virus going around here.

Krstn&Locket said:
I figure its because she has almost her full winter coat while the big horses dont yet ...
481034[/snapback]

Glad it was a quick fix! Is Locket a darker colored mare? If so, perhaps you could have her kept inside or have shade available for the sunny/warmer days until winter gets here properly.

Heidi

This used to happen to my little guy too, during the late summer and early fall when the temps were hot during the day. He would have a very hairy coat and just get to running and playing in his paddock. Next thing you know he is soaked. He would get a little sweaty just standing around. He always had shade and lots of fresh water to drink. These warm autumns can be so hard on these hary little guys, they grow that winter coat based on the changing light when its not even cold yet and they seem to start so much earlier than the big guys.

That said, I'd watch her prety close, as she shouldn't be soaked unless she was exerting herself. If you see it again, consider placing a call to your vet and asking him if you should have her checked out.

Yes, Locket is a dark colored mare and she will now be kept in when its hot out. She was still very sweaty this morning when I went to the barn to check on her so I brought a fan and set it up so its blowing on her. she seemed ok, I checked her gums and she's eating, drinking and there was poop in her stall so I guess its just the heat. What is it with mini's they grow there winter hair so early then in the summer they dont seem to shed out very good? The big horses at the farm havent even begun to grow there winter fur yet, weird...It must be a mini thing

Latest posts

Back