Local show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
Do people go to mini shows just to watch?

In the Bandera paper, there is an ad for a "Christmas Special, Registered Miniature Horse Show". I want to go so bad!! Not to win anything, just because I think it would be so fun. I have never been to a horse show of any kind.

Big Man was gelded a few days ago, and his sheath is still swollen, so I think it would be cruel to take him (he's AMHA, but I have no clue what I would show him in, anyway!). He's been ground driving for a while, but we have no cart to hook him to. He'll do his cute little halter stretch pose on command, though. But I don't quite think he's a halter horse!

So would it be dumb to go? I would be by myself, so I don't want to just show up looking stupid.

lf you've never been l say go you sure won't look stupid for being there and there is a ton of things to learn just from watching classes especially classes you are interested in. After all the years of being dragged to shows by my daughter l don't think there ever was more then once l had the chance to watch classes from start to finish there usually is just enough time to go run up and see a few classes l want to see before going back to get someone ready. l'd go if l were you it's a learning experience.
biggrin.gif

Well, if you're asking whether YOU should go just to watch, it would probably do you a world of good since you haven't been to any kind of a horse show before. A few years ago, before we started showing in AMHR down in the States, we drove five hours to the closest show just to watch. I had my notebook and jotted down things that were interesting as I walked through the barn area, outside the ring, and even in the makeup area. People looked at me and wondered who the heck I was and what I was doing, but I didn't care. I was there to learn, and felt much more comfortable the first time I actually showed there.

Take your camera, too!! Have fun!

Go! What better way to learn and meet new people than by going to watch a show?

That's a GREAT way to meet people who are involved with minis -- and to get a good idea what the shows are like!

I saw my first mini when I was in a Dressage show -- and there was a mini show going on at the same facility. I went around admiring the minis and speaking with their owners -- and asking questions about them. Turns out the had several shows at the same facility each year -- I ended up volunteering to help out at the shows the next season -- and learned from the judges and organizers -- as well as the owners of minis -- and had a GREAT TIME (also worked really hard - I was the gate keeper).

Going to shows -- watching to see if you can pick the placings -- and seeing what you like and/or may not enjoy -- and seeing where you and your horse might have a fun time participating in -- thats a fun and educational thing to do.

So I say yes, yes, yes --- go to the show -- watch the classes - wander around in the barns - and meet people and ask questions -- be sure and admire the horses and watch what is what -- you will probably have a fun time -- and meet some new friends as well. Maybe make some SHOW BUDDIES --- and/or find a MENTOR.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it was and what you learned!

Have fun

JJay

our first year in minis i went and only watched shows. went to every show i could just to absorb how people did things how the classes ran and met some great people that encouraged me to stop watching and get in the ring. its a great way to learn

THE FIRST ONE I EVER WENT TO I ENTERED MY HORSE IN ,DIDNT HAVE A CLUE WHAT TO DO JUST COPIED EVERYONE ELSE, I PUT HIM IN THE WRONG CLASS THOUGH AND WENT AND PUT HIM IN THE MARE CLASS, SO I WAS REALLY EMBARASSED BUT I CAN BLAME MY HUBBY HE TOLD ME THAT MY CLASS WAS IN, ITS NOT ALL BAD THOUGH BECAUSE HE GOT PLACED IN THE RIGHT CLASS HE ENTERED
yes.gif
BUT DEFINATLEY GO, I WOULD GO TO ANY SHOWS AS I LOVE HORSES AND ITS GREAT TO EXPERIENCE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING, LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES AND ENJOY!
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back