LLAMAS AND DONKEYS TO PROTECT MINIS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAMINIS

Reaction score
JUST WONDERING ABOUT DONKEYS AND LLAMAS USED TO PROTECT MINIS. I HAVE A LLAMA IN WITH MY MINIS BECAUSE I WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE A PROTECTOR, IS THIS TRUE? WILL THEY ACTUALLY GO AFTER INTRUDERS? AFTER READING THE DOG ATTACK TOPIC AND SEEING SOME PAST PHOTOS I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT MY NEIGHBOR DOGS THE SAME AND WANT TO MAKE SURE MY MINIS ARE SAFE. I GUESS I DID NOT KNOW THIS HAPPENED SO OFTEN. I KNOW THE SAFEST THING WOULD BE A FENCE OTHER THAN ELECTRIC BUT I WAS CURIOUS IF THIS WAS TRUE? THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO!!!

Good Luck is all I can say. We have yet to find a donkey or llama that will keep them out. We do however have a gaurd dog and a pony that dont like strange animals in there pens.

I don't think that there is too many living animals that could stop a "Hog Dog". They are very bad and very dangeous. I saw one in action twenty years ago and never want to see it again. The owner had him in the back of his pickup and it jumped out after a mother pig and he clubed and clubed his dog with a heavy bat. I had to leave the ranch. I could not take it so I don't know if the large pig made it. I wish people would not teach their dogs to do that. I was younger and stupid because I should have called the police or someone. The other people said he used it for wild hog hunting. Sure. FLFlyingW

Last edited by a moderator:
We have mini donkeys for a group and also llamas for other groups of minis, BUT in my opinion, if you don't have good protective fencing on top of all that.....NOTHING is going to help.

There are also other protective measures to take for your most vulnerable horses -- in addition to the above. I really do think it takes a combination of things to help guard. It's finding the right combination with the right fencing.....IMO.

MA

We just had a discussion about donkeys as guard animals on the donkey forum. You might want to read it. ...and once again, I will say--my donkeys do a great job at keeping watch over there minis, they allow nothing to venture into there pasture, and did keep a bear at bay, for a good week, with there braying, and boldness...BUT...not every donkey will guard, and if a pack of dogs, coyotes, etc are out for the "kill" there is no animal that is going to be able to protect, against a pack, but a donkeys braying (if it guards ) will forwarn you, at least all of mine do, and I wouldnt be without them in my pastures. Ma, you are right, good fencing helps so much also, we have all ranch fencing 4" high. (the kind with the little 5" squares, welded wire) Corinne

Hello, I too would start with more fencing, I would keep the hot wire up as well.

Our Donkey is great. He does try his best. The people moved next door, so they

are having these guys there to do work on their place. Two of the guys were out

playing golf in the back yard, instead of working, they hit one of the balls into our

pen. Well, he thought he climb our fence and get it, but Eeyore our donkey said NOPE.

And ran the fence, braying. I had to take the ball back to them. I let them know No

deal hitting towards the pen.

We are fighting with the people two houses down with a dog, it keeps coming up and

running the fence. I told them, if it gets in, Eeyore will kill it. I have tried everything

from talking on, to make them keep it home. I told them, if we catch it out we will turn

them into the City. They are renters, so I am complaining to the owners to. No help so

far.

Wishing you the best. We are trying to move.

Vicky

Hello, I too would start with more fencing, I would keep the hot wire up as well.

Our Donkey is great. He does try his best. The people moved next door, so they

are having these guys there to do work on their place. Two of the guys were out

playing golf in the back yard, instead of working, they hit one of the balls into our

pen. Well, he thought he climb our fence and get it, but Eeyore our donkey said NOPE.

And ran the fence, braying. I had to take the ball back to them. I let them know No

deal hitting towards the pen.

We are fighting with the people two houses down with a dog, it keeps coming up and

running the fence. I told them, if it gets in, Eeyore will kill it. I have tried everything

from talking on, to make them keep it home. I told them, if we catch it out we will turn

them into the City. They are renters, so I am complaining to the owners to. No help so

far.

Wishing you the best. We are trying to move.

Vicky
THANKS SO MUCH AND I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT WITH MOVING AND THE NEIGHBORS. I HAVE HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH MY NEIGHBORS ALSO! WE HAVE NEW NIGHBORS MOVING IN SOON AND I HAVE BEEN GOING CRAZY THINKING OF WHAT THEY HAVE FOR DOGS. IN THE PAST I HAVE ONLY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEM FEEDING MY HORSES THINGS THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE. GOOD LUCK!!

Latest posts

Back