Livestock Blowers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyeeRanch

Reaction score
I am searching for a little bit of input as to if you use a blower on your horses and if so, what kind? I am shopping for one and see anything from a Double K model to a high powered cattle one. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I have an electro groom that is a vaccuum or a blower. I usually use it as a blower for the horses and out black lab, It blows out the dirt and dust, but it will also blow the water out of the coat after a bath. It has two motors, you can use one or both for added power. I love it.

Alot of owners use shop vacs.

I have a shop vac...can blow or suck....its a small wall mounted thingy...works great only draw back is that i wish the hose was longer, they do sell extenders but just havent got around to getting one. It has what looks like a curry comb attachment and thats the one we use the most. Cheap, I think on sale it was 29.00 at Lowes..dont remember brand but its blue.

I have one of the cattle blowers. Had it from my days showing steers. I like it. Especially during the winter when they can't be bathed.

I have one of the cattle blowers. Had it from my days showing steers. I like it. Especially during the winter when they can't be bathed.
I have a cattle blower, too, my MIL got it in a box of stuff at an auction. While I haven't used it, yet, it seems quite powerful. I need to try it in the spring before clipping.

I had one of the Metro Vac 'n' blo vacuum/blowers that I bought brand new, but never used on a horse. It was extremely loud, and although it had a shoulder strap, it was pretty heavy. I have an old back and shoulder injury, so never ended up using it. You have to buy replacement bags and filters for them also. Mine was $250 when I bought it a few years ago, but I think you can get them cheaper now. I found out that the "miniature" shop vac's work well, are cheap, light, quieter than the vac 'n' blo, and you dont have to buy replacement bags. You can buy brushes for dogs that attach to the "tube" on a vaccum, and they work well. Im not sure about the metro vac n blo because I didnt use it, but some of the shop vacs are wet/dry, so you can use them on a wet horse. Ive had horses that were outside and got soaked to the bone, and ran the shop vac over them to get the excess water off of them. I got my 1 gallon shop vac for $22 from walmart, it has a bracket that you can hang it on the wall if you have a tack/grooming room, and it comes off of the bracket to be portable.

I have wanted a blower for drying the horses and have never found the "extra" to splurge, for the number of times I would use it.

I do have a battery operated leaf blower which I use in the barn for cobwebs and general cleaning. I think I will try it as a dryer to see how it does. It sure cleans the barn beams well.

I used to be a dog groomer, so I have a nice air force commander forced air dog dryer. It is a little bit loud, and it scared Darla the first time that I used it....she doesnt mind it now! You can get them for around $160.

I also used to be a dog groomer, and owning a malamute, when I stopped grooming I had my dad get me the same as ^ as a birthday present, as they are excellent at getting out the coat when a double coated breed is blowing coat.

I still use it on my dogs, but I use it far more on my minis
default_smile.png
Some get scared when I first turn it on, but once they feel it they relax (many enjoy it). This includes foals and adults
default_smile.png

Minimor said:
I have the Double K blower--I don't use the blower, but do use the vacuum.
I'm the opposite- I have the Double K and use the blower but not the vacuum.
default_biggrin.png
I couldn't see coughing up for the replacement vacuum bags and everyone I know uses blowers so that's all I've tried. It's really good at getting out that nasty, deep down dirt by the skin in the winter. With the blower and a lot of Show Sheen I can get perfect trackless clips without bathing even in the spring!
default_new_shocked.gif
It dries sweaty coats, rain-drenched coats, freshly-bathed coats...all without getting so hot it dries the skin. I love it! Don't know how I lived without it.

Guess I really should try some of the attachments and the vac sometime. What's the advantage of the vacuum versus the blower? Does it clean deep down?

Leia

Latest posts

Back