Little Foal Outings into the big world????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok our new filly is 2 days old now yeaaaa Yesterday I let her and mom out of the stall once to stretch there legs , today I let them out 3 times very short periods each time.

When can I safely leave the stall door open for them to come and go everyday and only shut them in at night?

Right now the stall is heated cause its been below 40 at night a few times. and I dont want baby out in the day during the rain so When can she just come and go on her own ???

Thanks

You can do it any time. I wouldn't worry about the rain, mom will take care of that. As long as she isn't cold she will be fine.

She is a horse....... She has hair.....

What ever do horses in the wild do.
default_rolleyes.gif

You really don't need a heated barn just because the temps drop to below 40 at night. The heated barn will make it even harder for them to adjust to the natural temperatures outside. A simple foal blanket at night is plenty and taking it off during the day. I let them out all day long here starting when they are a day old, and weather permitting. If it is raining, I leave them in the stall, but if it is a decent day without rain, out they go. Yes, we have very cold weather here too...I live only 1.5 hours away from what the US calles "The Icebox of the Nation"..International Falls, MN.
default_yes.gif

Just put a foal blanket on her to keep heat in. The foal will be fine.

Latest posts

Back