little dog snags big dogs antibiotic...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have a dog who is on an antibiotic (Bactrim) I gave (big dog) his dose and waited for him to swallow it, which he always does just fine. I went to turn around to go back to my cooking and he dropped it out onto the floor and before I could get to it one of my little dogs grabbed it and ran, he swallowed it of course
default_sad.png
. I have called the vet and I am waiting for a return call. The thing I am worried about is it is by weight and the dose was for a 80lb dog and the dog that snagged it is 5lbs. I am always careful about keeping everyone away to make sure it is swallowed, I can't believe I let this happen...ugh...wondering if anyone has had something similar happen? worried sick and trying to finish all my cooking, Nikki[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Nik, give Piper some peroxide using a syringe 2-5 cc's until he throws the pill up. You can do that every 15 minutes until you see it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]It will be okay!!!![/SIZE]

Nikki...he should be just fine (unless of course he might have an allergic reaction...but? what would the odds of that be? )

I would say the only reaction he might have is the "squirts"
default_biggrin.png
is Piper the gassy one??

Have fun tomorrow
default_wink.png

[SIZE=12pt]thanks for asking Jill, He is very sick
default_sad.png
, my vet is gone out of town and I just spoke to a vet in Canada. He wants to just lay on me (which he never stops long enough normaly too) and he is going at both ends. They want to see him, it's a ways away, the roads are horrible here with a do not drive advisory and I have 26 people coming in a little while. Why can't things be easy? My husband is out plowing, he'll have to take him over when he gets back...Nikki[/SIZE]

Oh I just now got to reading your post, Nikki and I sure hope your little fella is going to be ok.

I hope he is ok...my little dog (45) snagged a Rimadyl from my big dog (120lbs) once...of course it's just an anit-inflamatory pain reliever so it didn't do anything to him. Too bad you couldn't get the peroxide in him to make him throw up. I did that once to my parents lab and it worked great, he was puking within about 2 minutes...he had eaten rat/mouse posioning from my parents barn...I warned them not to leave that stuff laying around! He was fine, but man did he throw up...and then the dry heaves for a little while after. But thank heavens I had got to him in time.

Keep us updated.

[SIZE=12pt]I ended up calling my large animal vet to see what he had to say before heading to Canada. He said to try and get him to drink some pedialite, which we already had done and if he seemed to get any worse he would come over. After he started drinking he seemed to turn around fairly fast. Dehydration was the main concern. He is now starting to act more like himself and is starting to play with his best friend our other Shih Tzu. It was a little stressful for awhile today with a house full of people and a sick pup but it seems to have all worked out and hopefully he will be good as new soon, thanks for caring
default_wub.png
, Nikki [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So glad to hear he is feeling better!!! I bet that gave you a scare! [/SIZE]

Nikki,

I am REALLY glad to read this update!!!! What happened to you has flashed before my eyes many times when giving dogs their meds, or taking mine and one falls on the ground, etc.!

Jill

Latest posts

Back