Listerine for skin problems???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Hi all, I was reading another posting where listerine was mentioned for itching and other skin problems.....what other things does listerine help with? Do you use it full strength?

Ellie as I have mentioned before is very itchy...now shes full of dandruff and skin knots as her winter coat is growing in (or at least thats what I think they are) - Ive looked a thousand times to find buggies, but nothing moves - and it flies away when I rub her, so it must be dandruff. I brush her out twice a day lately, but it doesnt seem to be getting better. I have purchased medicated shampoo but have not had the opportunity to use it yet due to the chilly weather. Will listerine help any of this???

As always....thanks for everyones help!

This summer I had a horse that had some type of fungus, I tried everything under the sun, nothing worked, finally tried listerine full strenght and wamo, gone! I first sprayed it all over my legs and hands to see if it burned me and nothing. So I used it in a spray bottle, got 2 horses back from a trianer that had fungus, used it and in 3 days started seeing improvement within 10 days completely gone.

Last year we had a horse with food allergies. By the time we figured out what it was, he was broke out from head to toe, no kidding. He was a mess.

Changing his food was the big thing, but was still left with the breakout on his body, and head, and legs and everywhere.

We took your average house size bucket. Filled it, then emptied a full bottle in there. Used half to wash him, half to rinse. After the second bath his skin started to clear up.

Thought I'd add, CVS has a generic brand, the exact same stuff, $2 less a bottle, and 12 more ounces. It says, compare to listerine on the bottle.

Has the horse been seen by a vet? I only ask as these things sure can be nasty to get rid of and helps a great deal to know exactly what you are dealing with. With my horse, washing him in listerine would have done no good until his food had been switched.

good luck

Depending on, if it is some type fungus, brushing can spread it. FYI

I'm from Florida which is like fugus city for horses.

I've been using Listerene full strength for 35 years for a multitude of horse related things. One of my favorite things to do with it, is after a bath, spray it on the legs and especially on the pasturns after I have scrubbed the legs well with a rubber brush.

Up here on the mountain, it's also part of my grooming routine. You can spray it directly on a clean brush if you want to. I do that a lot. I spray the legs real good. In the winter or rainy season I also get into the tail bone and down in the mane real good. This will help fight off fungus that is trying to attach itself. Atleast I think so and I never end up with a case of rainrot, especially after winter's over.

I think Listerine is very useful myself and have used it often for all kinds of itchy things. But I really think you should have your mare checked by a vet. Is her hair kind of greasy feeling? Her mane and tail too? We had a filly also named Ellie, she had/has a greasy coat and tons of dandruff and was always itchy. She had lice. We had to treat her for it and then she was better. This fall though she isn't looking so hot. We have powerpack wormed her, hoping this will help with the bugs if there are any... and we also have started feeding her more feed, with some vitamins, and corn oil and Satin Finish (rice bran), alfala grass hay too. She is looking better already! Good luck!

I will try the listerine on Ellie - she is not greasy feeling at all...in fact she's very soft and slick. (Until she had a good roll in the dirt yesterday lol)

So if I spray her down and rub it in , do I just leave it on or do I rinse it off after so many minutes? Should she be bathed before I use it on her? I have a vet coming in 3 weeks for his scheduled appt. - hopefully, he can help. Also, would the cold temperatures kill lice if she were to have it?

Latest posts

Back