Listerine for itchy tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
Also leave in or rinse out?

Does it have to be original flavored? Will the green minty kind work too?

Has anyone tried Gold Bond lotion for itchy tails?

We're current on worming, tried Shapleys (made it worse), Mane & Tail, Gold Nugget Theraputic Lotion. Privates and bag are clean. She is in heat, not sure if that could be making it worse?

I can't see any bugs on the tail bone. But she has these wierd, short, thick, yellow, wirey cork screw like hairs in spots that come right out when I pull on them. I tried to take a picture, but you can't really see them. I found about 8 or so of them.

Also, 6" off the bottom disappeared last night, along with the tail bag and scrunchie (found buried later). Looks chewed. Her tail is going to look pathetic for the fair. Might have to braid her up like a little hunter to hide it.

i just use regular flavored listerine full strength just pour on and leave in but thats what i understood maybe it should be used differently

does seem to work that way fine

Not sure if it makes a difference but i use 1/2 listerine and 1/2 baby oil and gently rub it on the underside of the tail bone. You can pour it on top also.

I just found out today that regular flavored listerine is suppose to work for hot spots on dog to, not to get off the subject.

Yep full strength and leave it on......oil can help. And it will help with dog hotspots. My DIL though I was being funny when I told her to put it on a spot on theirs but, I assured her I wasn't. It healed nicely.

I have also sprayed the hotspot solvents onto the horses tail and it worked just fine. Depends on what you have on hand.

I use the listerene also. You might want to worm for tape worms too. Even if you worm with panacur and ivermectrin you still need to rotate with a tape wormer. If they have tape worms they can have this symtom also.

Original Listerine was developed as an anti-fungal and an anti-bacterial agent. Sometimes the itchy tail is just dry skin...that is why the oil helps....but usually it is a fungus and the listerine kills the spores, etc. Avoid the minty flavoured variety as it has extra ingredients that sometimes can hamper the work of the chemistry.

Wet the tail generously and rub it in a bit (they sure love that part <G>) and leave it in.

Sometimes the old farmer's remedies really do work!

Latest posts

Back