Lippizaner show - it was . . . entertaining

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Our local fair brought the Lipizzaner show in this year instead of some big name concert. YEAH! Tickets were not too bad at $10 a head. I know for certain the stallions were in their stalls since at least Monday although they did lunge them every day, and it certainly showed. Several times I thought the rider was going to be bucked off, one got going pretty good, and one decided he'd had enough of the ring and hightailed back to the stalls at a gallop. They brought him back out, and started the whole routine again. It was very obvious that these guys needed a few days off in a field. But it had some good moments, and of course they are gorgeous. Some folks started applauding when the one started bucking - I think they thought it was part of the act!

I have seen them twice now, and it is always a good time. The first time was about seven years ago, and I remember being very impressed. Of course, that was before I started doing dressage myself, so I didn't really know what I was looking at. The second time was last winter, and a few of them definitely had their moments, one had his ears pinned and was angrily chomping at the bit the entire time. I also thought that it was interesting that all but one of the riders were women. I believe women were just recently allowed into the riding school in Vienna, though I know the ones traveling here are from Florida. Now that I think about it, I think the first time I saw the show it was when the Vienna horses were here on tour, maybe that was the difference. Regardless, it is still a great show, much better than some concert!

I'd seen them two or three times in the past, and then more recently earlier this year. They were all pretty well behaved this last time around and put on a wonderful show. We saw them in a little smaller venue than before and were up close and personal sitting on the second row back on the ground floor, nothing in between horses & audience. They began the show with the national anthem, with a horse & rider holding the flag. Horse was absolutely attentive and motionless the entire time, very impressive. This was the touring group from Florida - I think the Vienna horses tour on a very limited basis. Would love to see them again.

Jan

I've seen them a couple of times....once YEARS ago and I thought they were fabulous (of course what horse crazy 7 year old girl wouldn't
default_wub.png
), but I also believe they were the Vienna ones the first time I saw them. There is a huge difference between the North American touring show and the actually Vienna ones. My dressage coaches saw them in Vienna and said they were amazing. I went to see them more recently a few years ago...a friend got me tickets as a gift. I won't be going back to see them....I do dressage and found it very lacking in that respect. Ok call me a snob, but many (not all) of the movements they did were very mediocre.....I won't get into details about it. It's a neat show, but I know too much about how things are 'supposed' to be done now....ruins everything!! LOL
default_rolleyes.gif

~kathryn

Anoki, I'm not a dressage rider but I would have agreed with your assessment when I saw them maybe 15 yrs ago. Horses were not particularly well behaved, rider cues were more than obvious....... but the show we saw this year was very enjoyable. It may not have been dressage perfection
default_biggrin.png
but it was for the most part pleasing to watch. Good rapport between horse & rider, nice transitions, etc.

The absolute best equine performance of any kind I've ever seen was Cavalia a couple of years ago. Just blew me away. Their touring schedule is pretty sporadic - some years they only tour a European country or two. I check their website periodically to see if they might be anywhere close to me - they are/were in Chicago recently, and have a couple of other American cities on the tour. Hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but it encompasses everything from classical dressage to acrobatics to some just dreamlike sequences along with music and some special effects. Truly spellbinding.

Edited to add - closing in Chicago this weekend, opening in DC on Sept 11th, and then to Atlanta next.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw them recently too - really enjoyed it! I thought they did a nice job, I enjoyed the way they introduced the movements, and talked about the history of the breed. I love watching dressage (was getting up at 5 to watch during the olympics) and yeah, these horses didn't necessarily do everything perfectly - one horse was doing tempi changes and only ever changed on the front end - but I think it was a good introduction for the general public. They also didn't try to pass off a screwup and the right thing. The one rider made the audience stop clapping because she wasn't happy with her horses levade and wanted a do-over, and the announcer said once "We'll try that again, that wasn't a capriole, that was a ro-deo!" I'll definitely try to go again next time they're in town!

A few photos I took:

5490_120598451975_531951975_2891673_6216055_n.jpg

5490_120598436975_531951975_2891670_2141272_n.jpg

5490_120598446975_531951975_2891672_5780013_n.jpg

My favorite part of the Lipizzaners though? The Andalusian.

5490_120598456975_531951975_2891674_4467025_n.jpg

5490_120598441975_531951975_2891671_1070590_n.jpg

I've seen them twice; first time they were okay. Second time they were pathetic--it was circus tricks, not dressage & the horses were obviously sour. You couldn't pay me to suffer through another of their performances. They actually performed in our city last night, but I haven't talked to anyone that was there.

The Vienna horses/riders--now they would be worth seeing, but they never come anywhere near this area when they do one of their rare tours.

I saw them about 16 years ago at a very large stadium in Pittsburgh, PA..they were all men and they were truley amazing..perfect!

The absolute best equine performance of any kind I've ever seen was Cavalia a couple of years ago.
Ohhh, I saw Cavalia when they first opened the show here in Canada!!! It was phenomenal...well there was one part in particular which was not done well (ok, ok, I'll put my DQ hat on again), but the majority of the show was awesome!!!! I wanted to go back when they had their second show here in Ontario, but never could get tickets.....

It's not the original people doing it anymore...they have retired, with some of the horses that they started the show with, and are back in France now I believe.

I also saw a show called Avia....it was a Russian (?) group I think. The horse part was horrible, but the acrobats were AMAZING. That show was put on near Niagara Falls, Ontario a few years ago.

~kathryn

I was lucky enough to see them in Vienna. I was able to spend the entire day at the training arena - wathcing hours and hours of practice plus I got to go to the barns and see the horses and speak with their grooms. It was one of the most memomorable experiences of my life. The practice arena is incredible - it is in an old (200 years old) castle arena. You stood in the balcony that was all the way around hte arena and looked down on the horses. There were only about 30-40 of us in there - my parents had arranged the entire day for me (while they toured through Vienna). I was 17. I still thank my parents 30 years later.

I have seen them 3 times in the US - all 3 times were with the Vienna travelling team but never were they as good as they were in Vienna. They are absolutely the most spectacular horses !!!

River

I was lucky enough to see them in Vienna. I was able to spend the entire day at the training arena - wathcing hours and hours of practice plus I got to go to the barns and see the horses and speak with their grooms. It was one of the most memomorable experiences of my life
That's something I've always wanted to do, lucky you.
default_smile.png
I have a gorgeous book my brother brought me from there when I was a teenager - photos of the horses, barns, arena and of the Piber stud. If I ever get back to Europe it's going to be a required stop lol.

Jan

There is a HUGE difference between the US traveling show and the Lippizans from Vienne. Night and day difference.

Just a side note,

In the pictures taken by Kendra....................the head rider (male) on the Andalusion in a friend of mine who is from the Tri-Cities. Tony Jackson, a great rider, that they just called and begged to come back because the other head rider left.................

As a kid, I worked as a stable bum (slave) for the one out of Florida, they were in my county. So some of my friends and I flocked up there and got jobs and oh brother, some education. Nobody lasted too long. At the time it was their huge family running everything, everyone related, all living there all over the place, with only a couple of outside riders. I loved the old Colonel, now deceased; every bit a horseman you could imagine and truly loved those horses. He liked to take us under his wing when he could and we learned so much from him. He let some of us ride on the flat in the practice shows teaching us if a rider was sick or didn't show up. I looked them up on YouTube and I must say, they have come a very long way. It doesn't even remotely resemble the old place I used to know. They sure have a lot of gals riding now.

Eventually I was given this old boy, Neopolitano Brazia AKA Fritzy. This is me and Fritz.

MeandFritzy.png

Yes, I think they are based in Florida, that is where the horses go to rest between tours.

My friend traveled and rode with the tour, year before last I believe... it was very strenuous! But they only hire very good riders, and it is very demanding on the horses to travel and perform as they do... true athletes...

Andrea

Great pictures Marty
default_smile.png
, and what a great old horse. That must have been the ultimate horse experience back then, wow - I'm impressed!
default_biggrin.png

Jan

Latest posts

Back