Lights in the birthing suite ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok its darker than all get up here so we have a 60 watt bulb on in there over night, I feel this is causing her to possibly shed way faster than she should be, BUT I need to see in there,

should I ONLY turn it on when I get out there???

should i use a colored less buggy bulb??

Am I doing damage leaving on all night??

Will it bug her MORE If I walk out and switch on a light every hour all night long,

the light is a must but not sure how to go about it, she is sleeping with it catch her doing that alot, lol soo I dunno IDEAS please????

A 60 watt bulb will not affect a horse to shed..........and it should also be strong enough to view with through any sort of camera you have..........

You need a 200 watt bulb 16-18 hours a day to effect a horse's shedding patterns.

We use red flood lights, gives off enough light for us to see with the camera but still leaves the barn a nice 'night' light and not an overwhelming bright light..

[SIZE=12pt]
default_yes.gif
We have low light cameras from Lorex and we use a 25 watt bulb in our birthing stalls!
default_yes.gif
Works great![/SIZE]

Bill

We have always used 60 watt bulbs in each stall and we turn them on at night - If something goes wrong, I want to have enough light to see.

We found a good solution for this. We have a 16 foot rope light that runs along the back wall, secured at the top of the wall so no busy horse can get at it. We plug it in at dark and unplug in the morning,

It just creates a very soft dim light, Works great with the camera, and also if I want to sneak in and check, I can see without tripping and disturbing the entire barn.

Good Luck with foaling. Wendy

I use a flood light over each stall. I turn them on at night (or I'd have no light for my camera) and leave them on all night long. I want to be able to see while I am delivering a foal.

Thank You,, it does seem dd shes almost totally shed out now though and no one else is,
The hormones that kick in as a mare gets closer to foaling can trigger shedding too as well as the lengthening of daylight.. A lot of mares will 'blow' their coats prior to foaling.. Most of mine shed out completely before foaling even though all the other horses (geldings, stallions, young stock) hold onto their winter woolies..

I think it's a pregnant thing. My three preggy mares are shedding like CRAZY but none of my other minis have started shedding yet. And I don't have a light on at night (yet... I will leave one on when they get closer).

Jessi

Ditto to the pregnant thing..........I've noticed our pregnant girls always shed faster.

I use 100 watt bulbs in my foaling stalls and leave them on all night. My mares have never had any problems with them.

Latest posts

Back