Light at night??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
Hello all :bgrin

Since we have gotton Barbie we have kept a light on for her in the barn as it is just her and the two goats in the next stall. We haven't put in a window low enough for her yet and we stall her at night. She is in there from 9pm to 6am. I thought about staying in a stall for that long in the dark by myself and well what a bummer, the least we could do is keep a light on for her. Do you think it stops her from sleeping or anything. Or am I being a spaz? I know horses think different than us but do you folks think she would rather have the light or not? My vet tells me sometimes that a lot of the things we do for our horses are for us and not them, that they could care less. Is this one of those times? Thanks for your opinions
default_smile.png

Smiles, Amy

I have nightlights in my stalls- right above their water buckets (high above of course). Its good for me too so when I go in at night, I can still see a little and not trip. (they are the ones that come on when it's dark only - not on all the time)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's up to your preference and what your horses are used to. We have the soft lights in our barns and keep at least one light on all the time. I never liked not being sure what I was seeing when I had a mare in the foaling stall. My horses are used to it so when I keep lights on for the online Barn Cams during foaling season it's nothing new for them.

Debi

Barbie seems to like to hang outside too as we have to go out and find her at night to stall her. She has free run during the day, but at night we are afraid of the bears and cyotes. We live next to a huge forest that is hundreds of acres and though it is rare the wild animals sometimes come looking. We have a very big dog, but if she is out there alone at night well??? So as much as I want to let her loose, I am afraid. Maybe I will try the nightlight thing or a lesser watt bulb. Has anyone tried the yellow buglight? The bugs are not our right now, but come May they sure will be :new_shocked:

Mine have a "night light".......mostly for me! I'd be tripping all over myself in the dark without one.

I just wanted to address the stall.

I hate the idea of a horse being in a stall where they cannot see out.

Your horse really needs to be able to see out. She can easily get very claustraphobic in high walls especially with no windows and also it is affecting the ventilation and air flow most likely. No, you aren't being a spaz, but that can lead to stall vices. Just imagine yourself locked in a room like that for that many hours and you can't see anything or anyone. in our old barn, we simply cut out big holes and made frames and used some plastic mesh from Lowe's garden department. It was a no brainer and it worked out pretty well.

I think that's up to your preference and what your horses are used to. We have the soft lights in our barns and keep at least one light on all the time. I never liked not being sure what I was seeing when I had a mare in the foaling stall. My horses are used to it so when I keep lights on for the online Barn Cams during foaling season it's nothing new for them.

Debi
I had the rope lights encased in plastic attached to the beams of my barn tht I had the foaling cams in so that I could see the the horses in the monitor. It was such an enjoyment and comfort in the middle of the night (through-out the year) to just roll over in bed and turn on the monitor to see them sleeping in the isle of the barn, usually with a cat curled up with them. Now that I've retired that's one of the pleasures I miss the most!

The mesh idea is do-able thanks :bgrin There is a 3' tall opening at the top of the stall that is 12' long so there is air, but I think she would enjoy a view. We had planned on putting in a window at her level, but I like the mesh idea better. Safer for the foal too. She is due in April.

I also have a couple of night lights in the barn, our foaling cameras are the night vision ones where you do not need any light at all, but I like to be able to go out at any time and find my way around. I do not want to walk into a spider hanging from the ceiling, ugh, I would scare every single one of the horses with my very girly scream and if I didn't have any rhythm before I would then trying to get a spider off of me. :bgrin I hate spiders and those big wolf spiders are the ugliest things. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a 40 watt bulb on at all times in our barn. It's mounted on the ceiling between the foaling stalls & provides just enough light to be able to see. I don't like walking into a dark barn. :no:

I keep a 40 watt bulb on at all times in our barn. It's mounted on the ceiling between the foaling stalls & provides just enough light to be able to see. I don't like walking into a dark barn. :no:

Ditto....

We keep a low light on in the barn year round -- just incase there's an emergency.

MA

We have an outdoor yard light that comes on at dusk (like the street lights), and goes off at dawn. It provides a lot of light (to help detract the coyotes, etc., as our place abuts a huge wilderness as well, full of coyotes, cougars and bears, seen 'em all within yards or on our property), and it also lights the barn just enough that I can see even when there is no lights on in the barn, and the horses see well w/it, too.

During foaling season, I leave all the lights on, and noone seems bothered, and I can see everyone. Every horse has some kind of view, most of them of other horses only, but many of them can also see outside as well.

Best wishes,

Liz M.

Hi!

I have a time light in 3 areas of my barn. I am use to having that from when I had quarter horses (showing) and have always had that... even though it really serves no purpose except when it's already dark and I need to go out to the barn I can see after dark! lol!

But right now in my foaling stall... right now my 2 mares that are getting closer to foaling can go in and out of that stall .... I have a barn cam set up in there and have it on at night even though it's not quite time... I enjoy (LOVE) watching them, so do my kids! But My one mare who's due to foal in a week or two or sometime? lol! It's COLD and windy here right now... and I have a red bulb heat light on at night in there and she's the one that HOGS that light and lays down to sleep under it... (I also have part of her belly & hind legs shaved..... But I know they appriciate that warm light!! If it's nice and decent weather I will turn that red light off. It is not on a timer. And of course during summer time... there's no need for a light since it doesn't get dark til' late and the BUGS!!!
default_wacko.png
:

I keep lights on in the barn for about one week after a foal is born, thwen they go out. By then the mom remembers and knows where her baby is. Lights are not on otherwise except for mare stare then I have one light bulb on so the camera works better.

I have a radio that plays 24/7 and each of my minis has a nitelight at each of their stalls. Ok laugh if you like but I can walk into the barn anytime if nite and check on them if needed, I love the nite lights and so do they. When the power goes out they do not like it but I have alternatives for that! I would put in a nitelite or two. They need bedtime dark.

I found some 4 watt clear night light bulbs that give plenty of light. Uses so little electricity you can place them all around.

Foxy and our cows and chicken and ducks,.....have country music 24/7 as well!! :aktion033: :bgrin :aktion033:

We leave our barn lights on all the time,...our barn is 100 yards from our house,..and our yard light doesent reach that far,....It doesent seem to bother any of them,..and all we have to do is look out our living room window and see that everything seems ok!
default_wink.png
:

We dont have a window put in low enough for Foxy yet either,...and it is too cold right now,..but,..that is definitly one of our early spring projects!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back