Life is so bitter sweet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
We had a mare due the 5th of March (only bred once) and have been waiting and waiting for the foal. Well, early this morning she presented us with a little black and white bundle of joy, a filly. Perfect birth and the baby did all she was supposed to do and mom passed the afterbirth. The filly is following us all over her pen and that's absolutely wonderful.
default_wub.png

On the flip side of the coin while we were busy watching Tiara, little did we know that Dream was foaling.
default_no.gif
By the time we noticed her it was too late, the baby had come out with afterbirth and twisted cord. Mom did take the sack off, but the baby either died or was born dead. Why didn't we notice. I feel so bad. Dancer wants her baby. We left the beautiful little pinto overo filly with her until 10 am this morning and then buried her. It's so hard to take the loss of a foal you've waited for for so long. I can't believe I let Dancer down. She has to suffer for my mistakes.

Stephanie

Congratulations on your new little one, and I am so very sorry for your loss on the other one. Do not beat yourself up over this, you did the best you could. If you had known you would have done it differently. Even then it may not have made a difference, sometimes these things are just meant to be. I don't know why they just are. <<hugs>> Be sure and love on your little mare that had the loss, she needs you now too.

Oh Stephanie,

I really don't know whether to be happy or sad...a little of both I guess. Congratulations on Tiara's filly, hope to see pics real soon. I'm very sorry you had to lose a foal though...it is tough to lose a baby any time and I know you are feeling like it was your fault some how. Please don't beat yourself up to badly as God has plans for that baby and know that it is running with the other angels! It sounds likely that it was born already dead and you couldn't have done anything for it. {{HUGS}} for your mare and for you.

Shelly

Please don't blame yourself, thats what I did for the longest time when my mare lost her foal on March 1st... I wasn't out there with her to blanket the baby because she didn't show signs...

Theres really nothing you could have done, you are only one person you can't be two places at once.
default_sad.png

Congrats on the new baby though, cherish her and give your other mare extra love.

I'm sorry about the lost filly
default_sad.png
I know how it hurts

Congrats on the live one!
default_smile.png

Stephanie --

I am so sorry to read about Dancer's baby but hope that having your beautiful new filly will keep bringing you a lot of joy.

Jill

I am so sorry for your loss.

I know the guilt of letting a mare down, too.

It's so tough to take. But please do not be too hard on yourself.

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy!!!

I am sure she is just that.... an absolute joy!!

(Please post pictures, wheb you can.)

[SIZE=12pt]Congratulations.... on your foal.[/SIZE]

Then I'm also so sorry to hear about the loss of your other foal.

It is so sad when they both happen at once. You look at the live baby and are overjoyed, yet see the dam that should also have a foal and say "Why did this happen".

My heart goes out for you. I have to say that I have been there before. The worst was having to "put on a happy face" with a group of people a few hours after a death.

Congratulations on your new filly. I'm really sorry about the one you lost, but don't beat yourself up over it--we do everything we can do, and sometimes it's still not enough. For one of your fillies, it was. I hope enjoying her helps to heal your heart.

Congratulations on your new filly.

Please do not beat yourself up on the second filly. IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT!! I have never had a live foal when it was born with the placenta at the same time. What most likely happen was the placenta released first and the foal died. Then mom was able to give birth with no problems. My first foal this year was dead before he was born (kicking the night before, but dead when it was time for him to be born). The placenta was trying to come out the same time as the foal. The foal, being dead, was not presented right and it took 3 hours to remove him. Mom may have torn her cervix too. So. lost foal, lost breeding in the future for the mom and a $600 vet bill.

Count yourself lucky that mom is fine and will be able to have foals again in the future. And most of all, stop blaiming yourself. Even if you were there, you would probably not have saved the foal. I was there with mine and still.....

So happy for you on the birth and so sad for you for the baby who didnt make it
default_sad.png

Here's a (((HUG))) for you all
default_smile.png

We would love to see pics of your new baby too.. Its ok to rejoice in it...

So sorry you lost one, but you do have a healthy one on the ground and we would all LOVE to see pictures. It is unfortunate that things work out that way, it wasn't your fault, enjoy what you do have.

We had a mare due the 5th of March (only bred once) and have been waiting and waiting for the foal. Well, early this morning she presented us with a little black and white bundle of joy, a filly. Perfect birth and the baby did all she was supposed to do and mom passed the afterbirth. The filly is following us all over her pen and that's absolutely wonderful.
default_wub.png

On the flip side of the coin while we were busy watching Tiara, little did we know that Dream was foaling.
default_no.gif
By the time we noticed her it was too late, the baby had come out with afterbirth and twisted cord. Mom did take the sack off, but the baby either died or was born dead. Why didn't we notice. I feel so bad. Dancer wants her baby. We left the beautiful little pinto overo filly with her until 10 am this morning and then buried her. It's so hard to take the loss of a foal you've waited for for so long. I can't believe I let Dancer down. She has to suffer for my mistakes.

Stephanie
Stephanie,

So sorry you lost a foal today. I glad your other filly is fine. I have two mares expecting within two weeks, their names are Dancer and Dream. Did I read your post right, those are your mares names also?

Deb

default_no.gif

Stephanie
Stephanie,

So sorry you lost a foal today. I glad your other filly is fine. I have two mares expecting within two weeks, their names are Dancer and Dream. Did I read your post right, those are your mares names also?

Deb
I guess I was so emotional I couldn't remember my horses' names. Dream is the one who lost the foal. I used to have a Dancer but don't anymore. I pray your two mares will foal with beautiful healthy babies.

Stephanie

Latest posts

Back