Lice treatment for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My2Minis

Reaction score
I got a mini recently with lice in his big thick mane, tail and up the spine. He had scratched out a lot of his tail. I dusted him with Lice Duster powder from the feed store, and it's time to reapply...

BUT the Lice Duster makes me sick. The skin on my lips and inside my nose were burning after I applied it. I used gloves and tried to keep my head away from the dust.

Is there a liquid or something else I can use that will get rid of the lice?

Never dealt with it myself, but do a search on this forum and you will get lots of answers. First, there are 2 kinds of lice on horses, biting and sucking. Ivermectin wormer, Permectrin CDS from Jeffers catalog online, and Pyrethrin SP used for dogs are some of the solutions. Right now try putting on gloves, long sleeves, scarf or something else over your nose and mouth, cap on your hair, glasses of some kind over your eyes if you only use the duster right now. The wormer will work, spot ons and liquids as listed will work. I know tomorrow others will give suggestions. Good luck.

Thank you! I just found the search button. There is a lot of useful information here.

I have gotten two in the past with lice. Ivermectin is a must. Use Zodiac flea shampoo and spray. Also Pahrana Aresol is 50% pyrethrins and will do the job.

Back