Lice? New mini.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
I got my second miniature about a week ago. The poor thing was covered in mud and burdock. She also seems a bit boney yet had a belly. I wormed her a couple days ago. Her old owner doesn't know her age but thinks she is about a year...multiple things have let me to realize these people don't know how to be truthful! Anyways, she has been itching a lot..mostly her neck and butt. I figured part of the was due to her having a poor coat and its been very very warm this week so she is shedding a lot. I also figured she might be scratching her butt due to having worms. But now I'm wondering if she could have lice? I've never had any experience with lice so could anyone enlighten me? How contaigous is it? Will my other mini that she lives with for sure get it? How about the horse's that are in the next pasture over? Do I need to consult a vet to treat it? I tried looking in her coat and down to her skin and may have seen tiny bugs? Or it might have been dirt/dry skin. Urg. Poor thing. She already looks better than when I got her...burdock free!

If you suspect lice, treat...you can buy powder at the local livestock supply but personally I prefer a fly spray labeled for lice as well and a worming with ivermectin based wormer (but not on the same day).

I used ultra boss pour for horses. It works great on lice. It got ride of my mares lice infestation that she has had for years.

It only takes a little bit , apply just like the spot treatments for dogs once a month

It only takes 9mil for 300#

Lice like to live under a horse's mane primarily. It doesn't hurt to treat for lice if you're unsure. Ivermectin wormer works on certain types (not all) and it won't hurt to worm her with it after a couple of weeks. There's a powder de-licer you can get from most feed stores or ranch supply stores...just ask. It works on the lice that the wormer doesn't. Sprinkle it liberally down her neck and under her mane, and down her back. The directions will give details.

And this time of year, continue to comb/groom because some of her itchy is also partly shedding.

You're being a good mom!

My mini kept itching and itching and itched down to her skin and still itched and got scabs in some areas--it was a mess. I thought it was lice, but the farrier (also a pro trainer) looked at her and said she was just trying to itch other areas but she kept itching of the other fur as well. If you have a blanket, you can clip yours, or use a shedding blade to help her shed.

Good luck! =)

Latest posts

Back