Liberty Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavensminis

Reaction score
I love the Liberty class and purchased a horse that has done the class before--just not with me.

How do you train for this class and what are some of the best tips you can offer a newcomer.

Thanks

Probably the hardest part of the class is the catching. So you need to start getting him/her used to coming to you. You can start using a lunge line and when you say whoa and drop to one knee (or holding your hand out or whatever you going to use in the ring) then gently tug and pull the horse to you and reward them for coming. You want to graduate to not using the line say in a round pen and then if you can use one go up from there to a more open area like an indoor or outdoor arena. Even just rewarding them for coming up to you in the pasture is good. The training is primarily to get them to come to you or to at least stand while you catch. Don't over train by using the music real often because you don't want the horse to become bored.

No matter the amount of training figure that the first time or two at a show with all the noise and crowd and other horses that your horse will NOT do what you want it to (although you will have an advantage with this horse having done it before).

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about showing. Is liberty free lunging your horse then? It looks beautiful.
default_laugh.png

I LOVE the liberty class! Basically, you choose some music then turn the horse loose in the show arena for a set amount of time (two minutes, I believe). During this time, you'd like for him to hit a big trot and really show off his movement. Then, the music ends and you have 1 1/2 minutes to catch him and get him rehaltered. If you can't, you're disqualified.

The most important things for Liberty is an easy to catch horse, a horse that you don't have to chase to make him move, and the right music. Choose one that suits his personality and his movement, not just your favorite song. If he's a big, bold mover, choose a song with drama and a strong beat that matches the cadence of his movement. You don't want a song that is too fast or too slow.

My favorite horse to show in Liberty is Daystar's Just Enuf Chrome. He runs to cartoon music, and he bucks and leaps and shows off how funny he is (sometimes even during the catching phase!), and the music suits him perfectly. He took 6th ouf of 70 at AMHR Nationals this year even though he only hit about 4 steps of a trot the whole time. And he's won most of his Liberty classes throughout the year. He's just so darn entertaining!

Pat Elder

Rosa Roca Training Center

Oklahoma City, OK

I love Liberty too - to watch and to show in. I agree that the catch is extremely important and that is the only thing I would actually "train for". I think the best liberty horses are the ones that like to show off and perform, and don't need to be chased around.

My advice if you are interested in this class is to read the rules VERY carefully. There is nothing worse than having a great "go" and then being DQ'd because the judge thought you were baiting your horse, or the wrong person touched the horse, or at the wrong time. Also, make sure your CD works BEFORE you go in the class. That is the next worst thing - standing there ready to turn your horse loose and the music isn't playing because your CD is blank or defective.

We are planning on showing this year and plan to show in liberty also. We are planning on a variety of music for the different horses we plan on showing.

Question, Just wondering do the judges frown on any certain type of music?

Music with loud lyrics often sounds bad over a loudspeaker so if you can get an instrumental that's great. If not, choose something with clear words (not screaming rock or metal, ugh!)

If you have an older horse who isn't quite as frisky as they used to be (they don't buck and squeal and leap like a stallion or young horse) you can make up for it to some extent by really playing with each other. Don't touch the horse in any way, not even with the lash of the whip by accident, but you can crouch down and send them leaping the other way or doing rollbacks and gait changes from your body language. Audiences and judges both like that.

A good liberty horse will use the whole arena instead of hovering around the gate, will do changes of direction and of gait, and will show off rather than looking either frantic or bored. A spectacular catch is a real crowd pleaser so train that horse to come to you! You can't carry food in the arena but I always set a couple of treats aside with my stuff out in the waiting area and he knows as soon as we come out he will get a goody if he came running. (Who am I kidding, he knows darn well that Mom is a treat machine!
default_wacko.png
I don't really need to reinforce that.
default_rolleyes.gif
)

The liberty class isn't -unfortunately- a free-style class so you won't get points for tricks or fancy maneuvers but it's fun to have your horse bow or rear at the end. It always gets the crowd going and leaves a good impression with the judges. Just make sure you don't use up your catch time showing off! Get that halter on first.

Leia

I know nothing about showing. Is liberty free lunging your horse then? It looks beautiful.
default_laugh.png
What I think is what really makes a good liberty horse is that you are basicly free lunging but in a really big arena (that's what you want your horse to think too) So if he's cantering too much and needs to show more trot you can say "whup trot" (that's what I use) or a cluck to get him going more. Also if you can get them to do a figure 8 thats good too, so again with the free lunging, your horse will watch your body language and change based on where your arm leads. Then on the catch they will listen to "whoa" and come to a kneel (ideally)

Liberty is so much more then just letting your horse go and making him run. It takes training like any other discipline. Practice on a lunge line to get him used to your voice and body commands then move up.

Good luck! Liberty is so much fun you'll be hooked!

Be careful about having your horse confuse liberty class with free lunging...it's awfully boring for them to just go in a circle!

Mingus had that problem, along with wanting to gallop the whole time and buzzing the judges' table. This year he got it right, moving about freely and displaying his extended trot, then responding to the crowd's reaction.

He has always been perfect at the catch, but at our first show, Keith had the halter twisted and Mingus took off in disgust, as if to say "Well, I did my part! Not my fault I'm stuck with a couple of amateurs..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Liberty is my very favorite class. I have a yearling stallion that will start this year, I am so excited
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
He will make 4 that we show in this class.

You have to really know your horse, and what cues makes him do what. It needs to be all body language, because the music is so loud, that the horse will not be able to hear verbal cues from you. Keep in mind, all horses have their off days. I have one mare that we could always count on for a good performance, but once a year, she needs to have air pumped in her to get her to move
default_new_shocked.gif
They won't always do as good at a show, as they do at home.

You really gotta have an awesome catch. Nothing is worse to have a perfect performance, then not be able to catch them. Good luck, and have fun!!!!!

As far as music, I've noticed sometimes judges go for oldies, i.e. 50s and 60s...

Kari

I've trained the catch at home using treats - kneel down in the round pen and call your horse after you have worked. You may have to move closer to him at first, but when they figure out kneeling means treat time, you can have them trotting to you which looks great. Obviously you can't bait in the arena, but they will still come looking and you can reinforce it at home.

As to music, keep in mind the general ages and inclinations of most judges, as well as what suits your horse.

Jan

Thanks Everyone!!

I look forward to giving it a try this year.

I found some really nice youtube videos of miniatures in liberty classes. I will study those as well.

Latest posts

Back