Let's learn about SABINO....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
I'm going to get several posts started, in order to demonstrate the various pinto patterns to the folks that are showing a desire to learn. Please help me by posting pictures that depict typical SABINO OVERO.

I am trying to avoid examples where it is obvious that the horse carries more than one pattern, in hopes that it can be demonstrated what each pattern looks like. Lets keep this simple so that other folks can learn from it. Please do not complicate this thread with every color exception to the rule. That will only confuse newbies more.

So what makes a Sabino Overo? (IN GENERAL)

Sabinos have lots of white on the face.

Sabinos have brown eyes.

Sabinos have lots of white on the legs, going up above the hocks in the rear.

Sabinos have speckled, non-distinct edges to the pattern.

Sabinos have white that runs in horizontal patterns.

Sabinos biggest hallmark characteristic is the jagged edges and patchy, roany pattern it creates.

Sabinos have white on the chin or lower lip.

Sabinos have white underneath the jaw when viewed from below.

Maximum Sabinos are all white, sometimes with a few patches of retained color.

Maximum Sabinos often have mottled skin.

Here are picture examples of Sabino:

babenew.jpg

HeyGirlfoalbutt.jpg
HeyGirlfoal.jpg

heygirlwow.jpg

7-3-03heygul.jpg

The white max sabino mare is not the best example but it is all I have!!! I need others to post their sabino pictures please!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
my sabino mare. when clipped has sabino roaning in the flanks. One small white triangle on back leg above hoof which is also a sabino trait.

Tiny_head-154x170.jpg

Here's my most noticeably sabino giirl, Mya,

MYareduced.jpg

Myahead.jpg

Mya063.jpg

Mya's sabino roaning does not show up in her winter coat.

Myaright.jpg

I have a mare Night lady who appears to be a solid black except for a few white hairs roaned in like a faint star and one blue eye. Her babies are almost always loud and show sabino, most have blue eyes.

NLheadpic5reduced.jpg

here is one of Night Ladys' foals a filly coming 2 this spring, she has two blue eyes.

(sorry about the bad picture, some days I need some help, LOL

Missy.jpg

My mare Moose carries Sabino.

She has a blaze and one sock and

has white hairs that cover her entire body.

She had no white on her chin.

Many of her full siblings have high socks

and big blazes.

Moose1b.jpg

MooseBath2.jpg

Since there are so many differnt types of Sabino....you are going to get many different looking horses on this thread. Some Sabinos are VERY roaned, some are not roaned at all, but have white markings on legs & face, some are totally white (Max Sabinos)

Chloe here, is a typical roaned Sabino with splotches all over her body & white face.

fbf79456.jpg

Mystic here, is also a Sabino. But, the only roaning on her is on her belly which also extends into her flanks.

ecc646db.jpg

I have a maximum sabino mare that has the typical bald face that extends onto her chin and mottling around her eyes, muzzle and privates.

This is her in her winter coat

Dreamright4GE.jpg

and her summer coat - she is pink. Sorry this picture is a bit dark.

Dream2.jpg

This shows the white on her face clearly and you can see the mottling a bit around her eyes.

dreammannyE.jpg

These two fillies are out of the same mare, I don't have a picture of her, but she is similar in colour to the first filly, but darker, with a white belly spot, a big star and one white hind foot. She's a daughter of Sooner States Bit O Honey, so that'll be where she got it from! Oh, they're sired by the same stallion as well, he's bay tobiano, not a roan hair on him!

icicletrot.jpg

Icicle has only the white on her face and one sock, but she's got roaning throughout her coat, in the winter she looks almost like a regular bay, here she is clipped last summer! She even has white hairs through her mane and tail. Oh, and check out her tail ... there's no silver here, though it sure looks like it!

kenzie.jpg

Kenzie is something else! She's got so much white, and even her coloured areas are mottled and roan, she has one solid sorrel ear, and one roan ear!

Here are some of my sabinos.

Redrock Incognito. He does have one blue eye but I do not believe he carries any other pattern.

9-04IncignitoLiz.jpg

Redrock Corkers Sandi Lassie

2-07Sandy3.jpg

Two foals from the cross of the two horses above.

Redrock Taloga

TalogaSept04-2.jpg

And a full brother to Taloga, Redrock Wakita with pink skin and one blue eye.

WakitaAug05-3.jpg

Redrock Little Blossom who has also produced a maximum white sabino by Incognito.

2-07LittleBlossom1.jpg

No, not always, in fact often not- a bald face is not a Sabino trait, more of a Splash one, I would have said.

Again, No, not necessarily

I have had a number that do not have white to the knee/hock, it is the shape of the white, not the amount, that is indicative.

I would have called it "jagged" rather than speckled but I know what you mean.

Usually

Usually

Usually on the ears

default_smile.png

These are 2 of my favorite colored horses in my herd. Both are what I consider "loud" sabinos, and I am sure they also carry other patterns as well, but I normally refer to them as sabino. They are a mother/daughter team.

Here are the 2 of them together...

sabino1g.jpg

This is "Firedancer", the mother. Her dam is reg'd as a grey roan with bald face. Sire, is unknown.

sabino1f.jpg
sabino1b.jpg

sabino1e.jpg
sabino1d.jpg

sabino1c.jpg

This is "Colors", the daughter. Her dam is "Firedancer" above. Sire, is a bay pinto.

sabino2a.jpg
sabino2b.jpg

sabino2c.jpg
sabino2d.jpg

This is Jandts Cheeri Deeri, a sabino only mare:

DinahHeadJuly06LittleHousePhotomedi.jpg

From a distance, she looks nearly white during the summer:

DinahCollageJuly06medium-1.jpg

In her winter coat and head and necked:

Dinah2Oct172004.jpg

I also have several horses that are tobiano + sabino.

No, not always, in fact often not- a bald face is not a Sabino trait, more of a Splash one, I would have said.

I have had a number that do not have white to the knee/hock, it is the shape of the white, not the amount, that is indicative.

I would have called it "jagged" rather than speckled but I know what you mean.

Usually

Usually

Usually on the ears

default_smile.png
Well thanks, Jane. Next time YOU get to teach the class.
default_wacko.png
:

I think Dona put it well. There are many different types of Sabino and they exhibit differently.

This is my minimally marked Sabino mare Millie.

nash003008.jpg

She has white hairs scattered throughout her body, but is not Roan because the white is on her head and lower legs as well as throughout the rest of her body. She also has a very faint, crooked blaze. Very difficult to see, but it is there.

Most of my horses are a mixture of at least two patterns and some of them three.

I think there are exceptions to ALMOST every rule.

Here is my little sabino stallion Tiny Acres Rambo. Most of his many foals also have his sabino roaning.

Susan O.

rambo.jpg

rambo2.jpg

rambo15years3.jpg

There are some genetic experts that believe that all facial white markings are caused by the Sabino gene as well as leg markings and although you may not subscribe to that theory you also cannot prove any different same as they can't yet prove their theory. Just saying it is so doesn't make it true - you do have to be able to prove your theory.

Here are 3 of mine that exhibit a lot of sabino:

MCCS MIGHTY BOLDS DAWN

Dawn2005.jpg

BICKELS TATTOO SHADY LADY:

ShadyLady.jpg

BENNETTS ANGELS LEGACY:

LegacyApr.jpg

THESE FOUR THREADS WERE DESIGNED TO BE AN EDUCATIONAL BASIC LOOK AT THE FOUR PINTO PATTERNS. IT WAS DESIGNED FOR NEWBIES, NOT COLLEGE PROFESSORS TO TURN INTO A THESIS. THIS THREAD WAS AN ANSWER TO THE POSTS OF SEVERAL WHO WANTED TO LEARN.

I STATED THIS AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH OF THESE THREADS. IF WE ARE FOCUSING ON EVERY SINGLE EXCEPTION TO THE RULES, THEN THE NEWBIES WON'T EVER SEE THE PATTERNS.

DID I NOT MAKE MYSELF CLEAR IN THAT FIRST PARAGRAPH? THIS WAS JUST INTENDED TO BE AN EDUCATIONAL THREAD FOR BASIC KNOWLEDGE TO THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN LEARNING TO IDENTIFY THE PATTERNS.

AND I NEVER SAID THAT I WAS THE SUPREME AUTHORITY ON ANYTHING. I TRIED TO KEEP MY INFORMATION VERY GENERIC AS IT PERTAINS TO IDENTIFYING THE PATTERNS. I AM HERE TO LEARN AS WELL, NOT TO START A WAR.

PLEASE HELP THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED IN LEARNING, TO LEARN. THE COLLEGE-LEVEL DISCUSSION CAN BE SAVED FOR ANOTHER DAY AND ANOTHER THREAD.

(SIGH)

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE:Milo Minis

There are some genetic experts that believe that all facial white markings are caused by the Sabino gene as well as leg markings and although you may not subscribe to that theory you also cannot prove any different same as they can't yet prove their theory. Just saying it is so doesn't make it true - you do have to be able to prove your theory.

Yes, strangely enough, I do know that.

I cannot understand why you would think I do not, or why you would assume I do not hold this to be true???

Lauralee whilst I take your point there is little point in putting forward, or allowing to pass uncorrected, things that may not be correct.

I do applaud you starting this thread, but I am not going to keep quiet and just let one point of view be heard- that would be pointless.

And I must say I do not consider this to be "college level" quite the opposite.

Lauralee you did a great job posting these threads :aktion033:

I do agree that for newer peoples sakes you have to stick to basics. Otherwise its way too confusing! Instead of learning BASIC patterns they walk away shaking their head

Latest posts

Back