Legal Contracts????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
My 7 year old gelding was diagnosed with Cushing's last year. I have him on a special diet and such. But anyways, he seems to do alright most of the year except in spring and fall. He drops a bit of weight and so forth. But otherwise, a happy horse. I'm thinking of trying to find him a forever home. It would be a home that possibly wants a companion or pet. I think he could do some light showing (nothing strenuous like cart) if they wanted to on his good days. He doesn't cost much upkeep or anything. But my question is, is there a legal contract that I can make them sign to be sure they can't sell him?? Or if they can't afford him anymore, he comes back to me type deal?? Not sure if I have to go through a lawyer or what. I would require references from friends, vet and farrier. Also pics of where he would be kept. And monthly updates with pictures of him. I would send him with his papers in case they want to do light showing. But I just think he could have a really happy life being brushed everyday by someone just wanting a companion or a therapy type horse. Since he's not a main show horse here, I just feed him and pet him daily. And he's young enough to have a few good years left.

A home like this may be a shot in the dark, but I thought its worth a try. I can afford to keep him and everything, just thought maybe someone would like to have a horse to love too.

When you sell an animal it is sold. Contracts might work as a bluff, but difficult to enforce. You might want to consider a free lease. That way, the animal still belongs to you and they have no right to sell it and if they do, you would have legal recourse.

I wouldn't technically be selling him as I wouldn't be making any money out of the deal. Is holding the papers the only way?? Obviously they can sell him right out from under me without papers also.

If he is leased they do not have the legal right to sell/transfer ownership. Be sure you state no sub-let and that he must be kept "XXX" location. Stipulate what care is required...farrier, dental, vetting, frequency of shots, deworming, in case of sickness advise you, death, etc., etc.

Thanks, a lease may be the way to go (well a long term lease until I can really see how the people are like).
default_saludando.gif

Back