Leftover Turkey Recipes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I came across a great recipe using leftover turkey yesterday. It was fairly easy and quick and...yummy! But...you've gotta like curry. Here's mine, add some recipes if you'd like (I need more for after Christmas
default_wink.png
):

Curried Turkey over Rice

1 Tbs. margarine

2 carrots, peeled and diced

1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 medium onion)

1 tsp. minced garlic

2 Tbs. flour (I used rice flour as I'm gluten intolerant)

1 Tbs. curry powder (I love curry and used 2 Tbs. and it wasn't too much)

2 1/4 cups chicken broth, (or turkey stock)

2 cups cooked turkey, chopped

1/4 cup golden raisins

2 dashes of tabasco sauce

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

6 cups cooked rice (I steamed 1 cup of basmati in 1 2/3 water)

In a nonstick sausepan, melt margarine. Add carrots and saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in onions and garlic, continue to saute until vegetables are tender. Add flour and curry powder, cook for 1 minute.

Stir in broth and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for several minutes until sauce thickens. Reduce heat and add turkey, raisins, and tabasco sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes (I simmered mine for about 20 mins.), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Serve over cooked rice.

My very favorite left over turkey receipe is:

2 slices of your favorite bread

Enough sliced turkey to cover it as thickly as you like............

Sound familiar? LOL

Seriously though here's one I've made a few times. Since I live alone I don't fix it often as it makes a whole lot more than I want.

Baked Chicken (or Turkey) Salad

2 cups cubed cooked poultry

2 cups chopped celery

1/2 cup sliced almonds

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp grated onion

12 cup chopped green pepper (or you can use both green & red pepper and omit pimento)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp chopped pimento

2 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 can cream of chicken soup (undiluted)

1/2 to 1 cup grated cheddar cheese

3 cups crushed BBQ potato chips

Combine all ingredients except cheese & potato chips. Toss lightly & spoon into flat casserole dish. Sprinkle chips and cheese on top and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through. Serves 8 to 10

Last edited by a moderator:
My very favorite left over turkey receipe is:
2 slices of your favorite bread

Enough sliced turkey to cover it as thickly as you like............

Sound familiar? LOL

Seriously though here's one I've made a few times. Since I live alone I don't fix it often as it makes a whole lot more than I want.

Baked Chicken (or Turkey) Salad

2 cups cubed cooked poultry

2 cups chopped celery

1/2 cup sliced almonds

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp grated onion

12 cup chopped green pepper (or you can use both green & red pepper and omit pimento)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp chopped pimento

2 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 can cream of chicken soup (undiluted)

1/2 to 1 cup grated cheddar cheese

3 cups crushed BBQ potato chips

Combine all ingredients except cheese & potato chips. Toss lightly & spoon into flat casserole dish. Sprinkle chips and cheese on top and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through. Serves 8 to 10

Sounds deelish!

We do a LOT of turkey soup, just add in chopped turkey, water, onions, peppers, mushrooms, veggies, I add quinoa-but you can use barley or rice, salt & pepper and whatever you want. After 2 meals, I add more veggies and thicken it with cornstarch, pour it in a partially cooked pie crust, slap an uncooked one on the top and we have turkey pot pie! Another good one is this same basic mix for soup, add some Cumin and maybe mushroom soup and pour it over tortillas/tortilla chips or cooked pasta, top it with a little cheese and you have a great casserole. Stif fry is another good one...I think I'll go pull that frozen turkey out now~LOL

Two things I love to do with leftover turkey:

Turkey Salad

Mix together:

cubes of turkey

seedless red grapes cut in 1/2

sliced celery

apples cut in cubes/pieces

chopped walnuts

miracle whip dressing (or whatever mayo you like) mixed with a little sugar

salt and pepper

This is sooo good. I know it sounds weird, but it's like a waldorf salad with turkey

Turkey casserole I invented:

You'll need:

cubed turkey

leftover gravy if you have it

can of mushroom soup

a few cups of cooked rice

some parboiled broccoli

croutons

Spread rice in bottom of casserole dish. Add turkey and broccoli. Mix gravy with soup, thin a little with some milk if needed. Pour over casserole. Top with croutons. Bake at 350 until nice and hot, about 45 minutes depending on size of dish. I am sure that you can substitute all kind of different things in this, like potatoes for the rice, other veggies for the broccoli, maybe cheese soup instead of the mushroom. Have fun with it!

Jayne

Hey guys some of those ideas/recipes sound really good.

Matt I have a question. Are you planning to go into turkey farming with part of that $5.4M???
default_whistling.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We always make turkey salad the day after thanksgiving...chop up left over turkey (white part..i hate the dark skin part uck) really small and add in some mayo, chopped up pickles and its very yummy on wheat buns
default_wub.png

Hey guys some of those ideas/recipes sound really good.
Matt I have a question. Are you planning to go into turkey farming with part of that $5.4M???
default_whistling.gif
LOL! If I ever get $5.4 Million, you know it wouldn't go towards turkeys; I'd be building two state-of-the-art nice new barns (one for biggies and one for minis), tons of paddocks, an indoor arena, a sand ring, horses, and HIRED HELP! LOL.

Turkey and strip dumplings or large flat noodles..

Large chunks of turkey, left over gravy, some chicken broth 2 cans and fresh home made thick noodles or there is a frozen brand also (they come in a red box). Yumm.

Cook the gravy, broth and drop in the noodles one at a time. Stir in the turkey, thicken if desired. I like it thick, use corn starch disolved in water. Salt and pepper. You can even sprinkle in left over stuffing for flavor. Hope that's clear enough.

This is "M.A.'s" version of Turkey (or Chicken) Tetrizinni (sp).........
default_smile.png

Cream Sauce--

In a non-stick skillet on medium heat:

melt 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine,

add 1/3 cup flour to make a paste.

slowly add one cup of milk, stirring constantly.

add any left over gravy, or poultry juices.

slowly sprinkle in 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese.

add a little more milk if necessary if sauce seems too thick.

stir in up to 2 cups chopped cooked poultry and about a 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms.

(I use fresh mushrooms, if possible, but canned is okay.)

While making the above, boil the pasta of your choice, enough for 4 people, according to instructions.

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.

Pour cooked & drained pasta in a casserole dish, sprayed with "PAM".

Pour the above sauce over the pasta.

Sprinkle over the top parmesan cheese and Italian seasoned bread crumbs.

Bake for about 30 minutes or until topping is looking golden.

Serve with vegie or salad. (I also like to serve some cranberry sauce on the side.)

This is one of my "one hour or LESS" recipes to make.

When my son was home, one of his favorite dishes was turkey or chicken on top of dressing, even Stove Top if the turkey day dressing is gone. Then pour gravy on top or cream soup if your gravy is gone, just bake it long enough to heat it through. ummm, wish I could have some right now.

The first thing my nieces would ask as we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner was when I would make turkey enchiladas.

Lightly fry corn tortillas in oil and put between layers of paper towels to soak up grease.

Use either red or green enchilada sauce and pour enough in casserole pan to cover bottom.(My favorite is green or you can make both)

In a tortilla place some shredded turkey, diced onion, sliced black olives, diced green chilis, grated cheese and a teaspoon of enchilada sauce.

Roll tortilla up and repeat until you fill the dish. top with cheese, and any other left over onion, chilis and olives. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas and bake at 350 about 1 hour.

The first thing my nieces would ask as we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner was when I would make turkey enchiladas.
Lightly fry corn tortillas in oil and put between layers of paper towels to soak up grease.

Use either red or green enchilada sauce and pour enough in casserole pan to cover bottom.(My favorite is green or you can make both)

In a tortilla place some shredded turkey, diced onion, sliced black olives, diced green chilis, grated cheese and a teaspoon of enchilada sauce.

Roll tortilla up and repeat until you fill the dish. top with cheese, and any other left over onion, chilis and olives. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas and bake at 350 about 1 hour.
I make lazy enchiladas. Instead of rolling, I just layer the ingredients, tortillas, filling, tortillas, filling, tortillas, filling and top with shredded cheese when the pan is full
default_wink.png
I also use just plain corn tortillas (not fried). I made these last Christmas when people wouldn't LEAVE. I didn't have dinner planned (after a huge, blow out lunch) as I was sure they would want to go HOME...nope~LOL

Latest posts

Back