Leasing - appropriate amount?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
I have someone interested in leasing my gelding for a trial period before buying him. I could use opinions on an appropriate amount to charge for a month. I would be missing out on one Fair which is already paid for ($20 plus any paybacks).

If you would like to pm me instead of posting, I check in here a lot.

Thanks

Sandee- I just inquired to several people about doing that with our stallion. The response I basically got was most people these days are doing free leases.

I agree I really haven't heard much of a paid lease. Since they are considering buying him I wouldn't charge them. The only thing I would request is since you have already paid for him to go to a fair then I would ask for your money back on that, or you can invite them to the fair and let them show him and you still get the benefits. I think the only time I would see money be given on a lease is on breeding animals, like your leasing a stallion to breed to your mares for example.

I wouldn't charge a fee on a show lease of a gelding BUT I would require they insure him for mortality and major medical. If I already insure him, then I would require they pay 1/12th (one month's) worth of the insurance premium. I'd also think hard about what I would and would not allow them to do with my horse and how he should be fed, housed and cared for during the "lease period" and have that put into writing and signed.

Good luck!

I am only really familiar with the large horse world with this regard but I can tell you that here, in WA state, you almost can't give away a horse. I did rescue for many years and ate the costs incurred when I was lucky enough to find a good home. I have a solid contract that I use, written by an attorney, and I keep track of every horse I've placed. I finally quit when my own physical limitations required and am now just playing with my minis.

If these people are A+ people, you feel confident that they are knowledgeable and financially able to care for him, then put him in a lease contract and if anything, have them give you a deposit that goes toward his purchase price. If they don't keep him, you can opt to refund it. If anything happens to him, you have some insurance.

In my way of thinking, knowing that my horse was going to a really good home is worth it's weight in gold. It is a pain and it's expensive but doing your homework on them (check references, do a sight check, etc.) can make your heart feel better about the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done this before in the large horse world. I had the buyer pay outright for the horse and I gave them a 30 return on the horse. They had to show proof of insurance and I was allowed to visit during the 30 days to make sure everything was ok.

I have leased out 2 of my show geldings and the only thing I asked for was insurance (major med and morality) and of course I check up on my boys.

Usually people don't pay when they take a horse on a trial before purchase; they do take out insurance and sign a contract though.

Extended leases where monthly pay is made usually happens when a breeding animal is leased for breeding, or in situations of super-ultra-expensive show horses.

Otherwise, in today's economy, the "free lease" where the owner is free of feeding, boarding, and caring for the animal is very common.

Andrea

Thanks to all. I had no experience with leasing and this has helped.

Thanks to all. I had no experience with leasing and this has helped.
Yes, me also. Someone offered to lease a mare to me. I did not know what was intended; I thought I would have to pay a fee for her, but the owner may have just intended a "free lease". Next time I will have more confidence to ask about terms.

Latest posts

Back