Learning material

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen M White

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking to get as much info on minis (and horses in general) to kind of "home school" myself. I'm not looking to turn it into a career, I just want to learn as much as possible from the best, most reliable sources. If anyone is from the Michigan area, do you know of any colleges or equine courses? I'm also looking for somewhere I can volunteer in the barn, etc to get some hands on, "in the field" type experience. Thanks!
default_smile.png

There are several miniature horse clubs in Michigan, you might be close to Blue Water club over there in St Johns...also several clinics during the year. Would be happy to have you help out on my farm but would be a very long drive!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you what this DVD is probably the best I've found when it comes to learning horses. I honestly wish I got this when I first went in it.

Its called Horsemanship 101 by Downunder Horsemanship from Clinton Anderson. It goes over Philosophy, parts of the horse, conformation of the horse, colors of the horse, breeds of horses, buying your first horse, feeding your horse, nutrition, hoof care, horse clothing, basic tack for your horse, proper attire for riding, stabling your horse, working on the ground, a visit from the vet, safely tying your horse, catching and haltering your horse, grooming your horse, saddling and bridling your horse, riding, bathing your horse. Valuable stuff for the beginner, its a 6 disc set and I know its not cheap but like I said its something I think no beginner should be without.

Horsemanship 101

I am starting my 3rd University of Guelph ( Guelph, Ontario) equine course in January. I am a mature student
default_laugh.png
and absolutely love this way of learning . There are many equine related subjects , and even though most students have large horses , I have really learned alot . The Equine Behavoiur was awesome and the Health and Disease prevention was good , even though I think horses are really over vaccinated I did learn alot . You have to be willing to motivate yourself but everything is done online , so it can fit into your lifestyle . I am hoping to complete them all !

Ann

p.s There are students from all over the world and today is the early bird deadline for January ( $50.00 off the course)

Thank you all sooo much! This is all really great info! I live in St Johns, so I will definitely be checking that out!!! Also probably be gettig the dvds
default_smile.png

I'm looking up that college right now! Online is exactly what I was hoping for!!

So happy! Thank you!!

One of the best sources of information is

http://www.thehorse.com/

There are videos, webinars, newsletters, etc. A WEALTH of information! I joined the webinars during the EHV-1 outbreak, and the amount of information they were able to provide (led by vets) was incredible.

Best wishes,

Liz N.

I am starting my 3rd University of Guelph ( Guelph, Ontario) equine course in January. I am a mature student
default_laugh.png
and absolutely love this way of learning . There are many equine related subjects , and even though most students have large horses , I have really learned alot . The Equine Behavoiur was awesome and the Health and Disease prevention was good , even though I think horses are really over vaccinated I did learn alot . You have to be willing to motivate yourself but everything is done online , so it can fit into your lifestyle . I am hoping to complete them all !

Ann

p.s There are students from all over the world and today is the early bird deadline for January ( $50.00 off the course)
Can you post a link please?

Jen you aren't to far from us. Our farm is in Gaines MI. We like to talk minis and love farm visitors. We have 13 mini/shetlands plus two percherons. You are welcome to come for a visit. The Blue Water Miniature Horse Club puts on a really nice Expo that you might be interested in and it is in Swartz Creek.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best teachers are the horses themselves. Horses of all sizes use the same body language. You could participate in riding or driving classes/lessons and see about volunteering at a local boarding/lesson stable. Looks like you got a lot of great responses!

LC Farm, it looks like we are only an hour from you! We have just 2 minis, but lots of other critters
default_smile.png

It would be great to come out and meet all of yours sometime!

I'm so happy to be a part of this forum, I'm learning so much about my new "little" obsession!

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back