Lead line saddle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I'm searching for a leadline or bareback type of english style saddle that will fit a B size Mini that is wide. A few years ago I bought the english saddle from Ozark, but it didn't fit my mare right at all and made the kids sit funny. I'm looking for something affordable too, I have oggled the $1,000 leadline saddles, but that's just not in my budget! Don't worry, the kids riding her will be 50lbs or less, and she is 36" and very sturdy mare. She enjoys the interaction and attention from the kids and they ride with reins attached to her halter.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good brand of saddle? I've been looking at some synthetic ones, I'll post them when I get home from work for opinions.

There are a few 12" leadline saddles on e-bay for $95 - $150 that might work.
default_unsure.png

I'm searching for a leadline or bareback type of english style saddle that will fit a B size Mini that is wide. A few years ago I bought the english saddle from Ozark, but it didn't fit my mare right at all and made the kids sit funny. I'm looking for something affordable too, I have oggled the $1,000 leadline saddles, but that's just not in my budget! Don't worry, the kids riding her will be 50lbs or less, and she is 36" and very sturdy mare. She enjoys the interaction and attention from the kids and they ride with reins attached to her halter.
Anyone have a suggestion for a good brand of saddle? I've been looking at some synthetic ones, I'll post them when I get home from work for opinions.

I have tried lead line saddle after leadline saddle and had not found one that fit my B mini nicely. After 2 years of searching I went to a store we have here called Greenhawk (they also ship all over) But found http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCar...d6b3+1256850314

It is simply awesome. Super lightweight has a handle if the kids cant hang on properly adjustable stirrups. (I got the package for 375 but its on sale right now for 230 CANADIAN) The greatest part is you can take the channeling out and adjust the fit by making them wider or closer together. )

IMG_5195.jpg

Its on the smaller of the one of my A/B's here. She sits an honest 34. But it also fits my 36/37" mare as well nicely. (We did have to get a smaller girth for April)

Yes that is basically identical to the Greenhawk one.

And its fit all of my guys nicely. (With the exceptions of girths LOL I need three different sizes) Course it also depends on how prego the one mare gets as to what her girth size is LOL.

ClickMini that looks basically like the Greenhawk one as well. They are great saddles.

I am not a fan of the synthetic and have tried tons and tons of the leather saddles and nothing has fit the minis like the synthetic one.

I have one that is very light weight. Never used it, granddaughter decided she rather just play with her mini.
default_rolleyes.gif
LOL kids. Has the handle in front nice, bought from horselovers.com.

The Thorowgood and Wintec saddles are completely different, I do have to point out.

The main difference is the finish, which on the Thorowgood is a sort of cloth/mock leather and on the Wintec is definitely leather look, tending towards rubber!!

IMO, having used a TG to show in, in serious Lead Rein classes, on a Welsh mare, the TG is more adaptable, but the Winter looks the part and, if it fits the horse well, will do the job as well.

The TG has movable panels (velcro'd on) and is therefore easier to fit.

I would not advise using a saddle pad (numnah) with either saddle, they should not need it and if you wish to keep the saddle clean, well, you can put the Wintec in the washing machine, I am not certain of the TG but it is certainly wipe clean!!

In both cases, for actually going in the ring, I would remove the handle on the front.

On the TG (Safari) you can get it off or fold it in so it does not notice, not positive about the Wintec, but it looks the same to me.

I do know you can run over a Wintec in a Range Rover and not harm it.

I do strongly suggest removing it from the pony before attempting this, and removing the child from the saddle.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Saddles are an exception to the padding rule.

A correctly fitting saddle needs no padding (and neither does any of my harness either, a I use correctly padded, working harness, not show harness) and padding a correctly fitting saddle will cause it's fit to become incorrect.

Latest posts

Back