Lead from Hoses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystone

Reaction score
I got an e-mail today about not letting children drink from hoses because they are made with various levels of lead. The story is on WKRN.com, search "hose". Supposedly you can buy ones that are marked "safe for drinking". I have never seen; actually never looked for any such labeling.

I am curious about what harm it could do to horses and dogs. Both are watered from hoses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt its true ;) There are so many emails floating around trying to make people worry about everything. If it was a problem it'd be on the headline news, not floating around the 'net in emails.

Yes, there is lead in some hoses. Most of those hoses are marked "for industrial/commercial use only". There ARE hoses that are marked as safe for drinking, those are the ones I usually buy. I am not sure about the levels of lead, but I figure better safe than sorry. You don't often hear about pets getting lead poisoning but I don't want to take the chance.

Andrea

Yes, this is true. If you look at the inside label on most hoses, there is a BIG warning label. What you are looking for is a potable hose. Over the last few weeks I had been searching for one too, and was able to locate it at Home Depo. You can also find them at most RV supply stores.

I'm with you. I do not want my horses drinking from hoses that contain lead.

Liz R.

Well I know it is true because the web site www.wkrn.com is one of our local news channels web site. I guess I am not that worried about lead poisioning like dying but lowering their IQ or birth defects.

Latest posts

Back